Omada SDN Controller v5.9.31 Windows

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-18 14:18:40 - last edited 2023-07-25 06:03:33
Model: TL-SG2428P   TL-SG2218  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I'm rather new to the TP-Link community and to the TP-Link prodiucts.
It is my first installation and I encounter a problem with the Omada SDN Controller software.

The installation of the Switches TL-SG2428P and TL-SG2218P went perfectly fine and both were up and running smoothly.
So after that I wanted to install the Omada SDN Controller software to configure LACP on 2 ports for a Synology NAS.
The installation went quite alright ... but when I tried to start the software on my PC it came back stating "Fail to start mongo DB server".

From documentation it was not immediately clear MongoDB was required for Windows, so I tried to find a goodd version on the MongoDB website downloaded version 3.4 as it met the given requirements of version, installed it and created a service with name MongoDB. I can simply get into it by typing mongo in a console window.
But the Omada software still fails to start up stating the same message again.

How can this be solved ?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Omada SDN Controller v5.9.31 Windows-Solution
2023-07-20 00:35:50 - last edited 2023-07-20 06:20:37

Hi @BartDS

Can you make sure the program is not launching on startup first? And make sure MongoDB does not launch at the startup as well. If the program is already in use, then you cannot launch it manually. Have to kill the startup program and processes.

I only meet a problem with startup programs(Omada). If yours is not this, can you post a picture here?

Or if you want to add it and make it a service: How to Configure Omada Controller as a Windows Service(above Controller 4.1.5)

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-20 06:19:59 - last edited 2023-07-25 06:04:22

@Clive_A I found the root cause of all my troubles ...

I did change the path of installation when running the installer, I want to keep stuff clean and decided to put the Controller in "C:\Program Files".
And although I'm an administrator to my machine it is not so that everything I start is automatically as an admin.
So first issue was that when launching the Desktop icon it was running as a local user and did not have write access to the installed path, hence MongoDB failing to start up.
I changed the permissions on the installed path and that did solve the issue for MongoDB and the software started up again.

Now I ran into the issue that devices were not Adopting. The 2 switches were shown in the software but they keep on reporting ADOPTING and do not go to CONNECTED.
With help from Forum I started looking into the FireWall settings but that was very surprising and nothing seemed to help.
But it pointed me in the direction of looking if I could not start the Omada Controller as an Administrator ... Though luck at first as the link could not be run as an Administrator but I got around it by opening a cmd as Administrator going to the path of the link and starting the same command as the link and everything was working fine again.

Final step was making the startup procedure a little easier ... Started of thinking how to be able to automatically start the Omada Controller.
Here again you gave me a good pointer in your last reply for adding it as a service to the computer. It did not go wel lat first again, but should start following instructions better because when using the start.bat in the bin directory in the service everything now runs fine.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada SDN Controller v5.9.31 Windows
2023-07-19 02:13:41

Hi @BartDS 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Right click your Windows button, and go to the Task Manager.

Find the Processes, MongoDB Database Server, kill it. After that, launch your controller again. If this process starts up with your boot, then you can consider removing it from your startup. So next time you open up the controller, it should start up with your computer boot.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-19 07:38:36

@Clive_A Found the task and killed it as you suggested.
Then relaunched the Omada Controller software and it took quite some time to tell me that it "Failed to start Mongo DB Server"

Options
2023-07-19 08:03:11 - last edited 2023-07-25 06:04:19

@BartDS 

Clean uninstall the controller and reinstall your controller. And follow my previous steps. If you still run into this issue, post the error here.

Options
2023-07-19 09:10:45

@Clive_A Thanks
I did a removal of the controller and the MongoDB I installed myself. Then rebooted the computer and installed the controller again (only the controller)
Then it asked me to launch like last time but now it did start MongoDB correctly and I'm currently walking through the registration process

Options
2023-07-19 14:31:02

@Clive_A I might have been too quick cheering ...
Needed to reboot the computer once more and again the failure comes.
So again the software can not start the MongoDB Server.
Another clean install might solve the issue but will I lose the config I did then ?
It also does not seem logical that at every reboot I would need to reinstall the software

Also it let me download a version 5.12.2 when I got in would dat be a better version ?

Options
2023-07-20 00:35:50 - last edited 2023-07-20 06:20:37

Hi @BartDS

Can you make sure the program is not launching on startup first? And make sure MongoDB does not launch at the startup as well. If the program is already in use, then you cannot launch it manually. Have to kill the startup program and processes.

I only meet a problem with startup programs(Omada). If yours is not this, can you post a picture here?

Or if you want to add it and make it a service: How to Configure Omada Controller as a Windows Service(above Controller 4.1.5)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-20 06:19:59 - last edited 2023-07-25 06:04:22

@Clive_A I found the root cause of all my troubles ...

I did change the path of installation when running the installer, I want to keep stuff clean and decided to put the Controller in "C:\Program Files".
And although I'm an administrator to my machine it is not so that everything I start is automatically as an admin.
So first issue was that when launching the Desktop icon it was running as a local user and did not have write access to the installed path, hence MongoDB failing to start up.
I changed the permissions on the installed path and that did solve the issue for MongoDB and the software started up again.

Now I ran into the issue that devices were not Adopting. The 2 switches were shown in the software but they keep on reporting ADOPTING and do not go to CONNECTED.
With help from Forum I started looking into the FireWall settings but that was very surprising and nothing seemed to help.
But it pointed me in the direction of looking if I could not start the Omada Controller as an Administrator ... Though luck at first as the link could not be run as an Administrator but I got around it by opening a cmd as Administrator going to the path of the link and starting the same command as the link and everything was working fine again.

Final step was making the startup procedure a little easier ... Started of thinking how to be able to automatically start the Omada Controller.
Here again you gave me a good pointer in your last reply for adding it as a service to the computer. It did not go wel lat first again, but should start following instructions better because when using the start.bat in the bin directory in the service everything now runs fine.

Recommended Solution
Options