Totally lost

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Totally lost

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Totally lost
Totally lost
2023-08-03 13:13:39 - last edited 2023-08-21 01:44:26
Model: TL-SG3452X  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I'm coming from other OEM switches that ask for a "gateway" or router IP address, subnet address and switch static address. I see a default VLAN 1 with a pre-filled subnet and the default swtich address of 192.168.0.1. But none of the online guides I've seen show how to change 192.168.0.1 to something else and add a rounrter or gateway address. Also, the hardware version of the switch is not displayed anywhere on the product sticker. I've downloaded and installed the Omada Controller software. But it does nothing when launched on my laptop directly connected to the switch. I do not want to use the cloud to manage the switch I want to manage it from my LAN>

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Totally lost-Solution
2023-08-19 00:39:33 - last edited 2023-08-21 01:44:26

@KJK Last update. So the new, replacement, 10GBE TP-Link TL-SM5110-LR SFP+ modules work. I now have all three SFP connections and the switch is working fine.

Couple of observations: Both TL-SG3452X  switches I ordered from Amazon appeared to have be used before and that may have been the cause of my problems. The first one came without the protective plastic bag over the switch and had visible finger prints on it. The second one came with the rack ears already installed on the switch. The first switch was clearly defective; it lost settings every time the power was cut off. The second switch has so far worked as advertised and I'm glad this community urged me to keep drilling down on troubleshooting. Thanks to all for your help.

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Totally lost
2023-08-04 03:44:35 - last edited 2023-08-04 03:45:52

Hi @PP_link 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you need to change the IP address of the switch, follow the picture.Don't forget to click "Save" after the config.

If you set the switch to DHCP, then the switch will get a DHCP IP address from the DHCP server.

The Controller is local if you download Software Omada Controller. If you use Cloud-based Controller, then it is based on Amazon cloud computing. You can also use the controller locally.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-04 19:27:07 - last edited 2023-08-04 19:28:01

Yes, I saw that page with IPV4. I just want to confirm that, evidently, there is no field and, thus, no need, to put in a IP address for the LANs router, since there are only entries for the switch and the subnet in the IPV4 dialog?

Options
2023-08-07 09:41:24

Hi @PP_link 

PP_link wrote

Yes, I saw that page with IPV4. I just want to confirm that, evidently, there is no field and, thus, no need, to put in a IP address for the LANs router, since there are only entries for the switch and the subnet in the IPV4 dialog?

Click Edit and you be redirected to another page with boxes and options where you can put in things you want. You have more entries if you have other interfaces. Default's VLAN 1

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-07 16:12:04 - last edited 2023-08-07 16:17:53

@Clive_A You are describing something different from what I see. There is indeed a dialog to change the switch IP and subnet after clicking on edit IPV4 but there is no field for the router or gateway to which the switch can trasmit packets. So after I changed the switch IP address to one compatible with my LAN, I saved the setting, restarted the swtich and veriified I couild still connect to my laptop with the newly assigned switch IP address. Great!  But when I disconnected  the laptop and installed the switch on my LAN, I can't access it at the IP address I assigned it or at the switches former default IP. What's more, there are no activity lights shining on the SFP ports to my router or admin PC. Only the third SFT port to my NAS transmits data. So I guess I'm stupider than the "Smart" switch. Back to Amazon this thing goes.

Options
2023-08-08 01:16:49

Hi @PP_link 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Switch is actually plug-and-play. If your router provides an active DHCP IP, then the switch picks it up and uses it.

If you fix the static IP to the switch, the IP should be in the same LAN as your router or default VLAN. You sure that you put it in the same LAN as your router? Also, check the Routing Table. Is everything correct there?

Without any other info, I am not able to provide any further insight but this thing works pretty solid from my experience.

If SFP is not up, you should check if the connection is good. Is the module okay and is the fiber good?

What's the link speed of your router? This switch is an SFP+ and if the auto-negotiation failed, you gotta manually set the port to the matching link speed of your router.

If the link speed does not match, then it won't work.

Options
2023-08-08 14:06:32 - last edited 2023-08-08 14:07:39

@Clive_A I sincerely thank you for trying to help me to troubleshoot this but setting up a switch should not be this hard. As I indicated, I set up the switch on the same LAN segment as my router. I confirmed the newly assigned switch IP and rebooted and my laptop was still able to reach reach the swtich. I then installed the switch in my network rack and connected about 30 of the 48 ports to copper ethernet and 3 of the four SFP ports to fiber, an arrangement that works fine on my current switch. What makes no sense to me is when I connected my laptop directly to the TP-link on the rack, it would not re-connect even though the activity lights on the switch and the laptop were blinking and connectivity was fine 5 minutes ago. Thank God I didn't brick the switch because that cumbersome terminal reset method would have really been a rabbit hole to go down. You can close this ticket; this is a RMA.

Options
2023-08-08 18:20:48

@PP_link 

Sometimes you may not get the help you need by asking questions on Internet. If I were you, I would spend more time studying the switch’s manual. What you were trying to do looks like a pretty basic configuration to me so the information about it should be there. I do not know this particular switch model so I cannot help you with any details. However I think you have given up too early. I doubt that buying another switch in this class will help you. All switches in this class just work and are, more or less, configured in the same way no matter of the switch model or manufacture

Kris K
Options
2023-08-08 19:04:34

@KJK That's the thing about this switch. Info is all over the map and conflicting. The TP-Link website FAQ configuration link for this switch points to an apparently generic link (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3629) that displays an illustration that is entirely differenent than what I see on my switch. The paper guide that came with the TL-SG3452X, at about 12-pages long, is equally baffelling with few GUI illustrations (I've packed the switch so don't have access to the guide to verify). And Googling for instructions sent me down multiple rabbit holes, including using the swiches console connection to set a static IP address and/or gateway. Then there is the added confusion of this "Omada" controller software. None of this is explained well at all and certinaly not before you buy the thing. You are probably correct, alternartive switches with 10gbe speeds are probably just as opaque so it looks like I'm sticking with my current switch with lower speeds until manufacturers decided they want to sell to small businesses like mine.

Options
2023-08-08 22:42:38

@Clive_A 

If think we need a link to the switch's user guide to resolve this issue. It looks like OP can't find it and trully I can't find it, either.

It is my understanding that OP just wants to configure the switch's admin access, not the IPv4 routing.

Kris K
Options
2023-08-09 02:13:21

Hi @PP_link 

PP_link wrote

@Clive_A I sincerely thank you for trying to help me to troubleshoot this but setting up a switch should not be this hard. As I indicated, I set up the switch on the same LAN segment as my router. I confirmed the newly assigned switch IP and rebooted and my laptop was still able to reach reach the swtich. I then installed the switch in my network rack and connected about 30 of the 48 ports to copper ethernet and 3 of the four SFP ports to fiber, an arrangement that works fine on my current switch. What makes no sense to me is when I connected my laptop directly to the TP-link on the rack, it would not re-connect even though the activity lights on the switch and the laptop were blinking and connectivity was fine 5 minutes ago. Thank God I didn't brick the switch because that cumbersome terminal reset method would have really been a rabbit hole to go down. You can close this ticket; this is a RMA.

This is strange. So, what other config do you have except for changing its IP address on the switch? Do you verify the IP address on the laptop after you put the switch on the rack and connect 30 devices? Due to the ability to troubleshoot networking problems, I need screenshots of ping results and ipconfig from the CMD. You should run at least two ping lines, ping the switch IP address and ping the GW IP. ipconfig to verify if your laptop is getting a DHCP IP from the router.

There is no place to set a gateway IP address on this switch. It's auto if you use it with a DHCP IP. If you set it to manual, you have to set up Static Routing because the switch only forward packets. As a layer 3 switch, it falls into the most fundamental way of config.

Set the static IP address to the switch, we have guides and that's what I showed you earlier by screenshots.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 760

Replies: 14

Related Articles