Deco M5 > Ethernet connections caps at 100 Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-04 06:46:29 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:00:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5

Hello,

I have 2 deco M5 3-pack, the main one upstairs (my fibre modem is in the attic) and 2 downstairs in the kitchen and home office.

Backhaul is via WiFi
In the home office, my laptop is connected by Wifi, and I am getting a speed of about 200 Mbps, my desktop PC is connected by Ethernet cable to the Deco and the connection is capping at 100 Mbps (My NIC supports up to 1 Gbps).

Is this normal? Shouldn't I be getting atleast the same via cable than via wifi?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 > Ethernet connections caps at 100 Mbps-Solution
2023-08-04 14:13:20 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:00:39

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it seems the assigned linked speed is the issue

I was reading up on this, and seems that cable issues are the most common problem. I am using the default cable that came with my Decos. I guess I'll try a brand new cable first and go on from there.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 > Ethernet connections caps at 100 Mbps
2023-08-04 13:56:00 - last edited 2023-08-04 15:16:14

@DolbyR 

You should be getting same or even better speeds on PC wired to Satellite Deco than on laptop connecting to that same Deco wirelessly.

I can think of two reasons why it is not the case for you:

1. Your PC negotiated 100Mbps link speed to Satellite Deco. See How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client It is for wireless clients, but it'll give you an idea where to look for link speed in wired PC.

2. You have bandwidth throttling settings enabled in Deco that limit connection speed for PC specifically. That would be harder to troubleshoot, but if you have your Deco mesh connected to ISP router, it would be possible to turn off bandwidth throttling settings completely, for the purpose of troubleshooting. You can do that by switching Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
Re:Deco M5 > Ethernet connections caps at 100 Mbps-Solution
2023-08-04 14:13:20 - last edited 2023-08-07 09:00:39

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it seems the assigned linked speed is the issue

I was reading up on this, and seems that cable issues are the most common problem. I am using the default cable that came with my Decos. I guess I'll try a brand new cable first and go on from there.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 319

Replies: 2

Related Articles