ER605 Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
ER605 Questions
ER605 Questions
2023-08-07 20:37:29
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Considering purchasing an ER605 to use as a gateway to my home network to add support for inbound VPN.  I'm an IT professional with an above average practical knowledge fo networking.  I'm not a network engineer... 

- I think I've determined that OMADA is just a softare based management solution that can control many business class devices similarly to the Tether solution I've used on home networking products.  Correct? 

- MY ISP requires establishing a PPPoE connection.  That's a VPN connection to them.  Can I also support inbound VPN from external networks?   Are there any limitations associated with that sort of configuration? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:ER605 Questions
2023-08-08 02:49:54

Hi @Bruce518 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Bruce518 wrote

- I think I've determined that OMADA is just a softare based management solution that can control many business class devices similarly to the Tether solution I've used on home networking products.  Correct? 

- MY ISP requires establishing a PPPoE connection.  That's a VPN connection to them.  Can I also support inbound VPN from external networks?   Are there any limitations associated with that sort of configuration? 

Correct. Omada Controller controls Omada compatible devices. See the list: Omada list

WAN PPPoE mode is supported. Inbound VPN, currently supports PPTP, L2TP, IPsec, OpenVPN and Wireguard. However, I gotta mention that if you have an OVPN server, make sure it's V2.4 or older. Currently, we don't support newer OVPN versions. For more, see the Specs

You can take a look at the emulator here: ER605 V2 Emulator

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-08 13:39:00
I do not presently have any OVPN server. I'm essentially looking to get one of my children, who has moved out of the house, access to some of my internal resources. I presently have a three node Eero hosting wifi inside my house with another gigabit home route with wifi disabled making my PPPoE connection to my ISP in front of it. I would envision replacing the gigabit home router with the ER605 and would probably have my daughter get one as well so that we could make that connection. I would figure out how to make the routing work. I want to do a little bit more than typical firewall / DMZ pass through will let me with my present setup.
Options
2023-08-09 06:22:36

@Bruce518 your plan should work fine. I have a similar configuration on my ER605. I have a PPPoE connection to my ISP and an OpenVPN server running to allow me remote access to my LAN from my laptop when away from home.

If the remote access you require if from a single device e.g laptop , then you dont need an ER605 at your daughters, just install an OpenVPN client on the device.

That setup should allow access to your LAN from the device

However you will have to configure the client to use deprecated ciphers due to the ER605 only being OpenVPN 2.4.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 662

Replies: 3

Related Articles