Question about website tracing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-10 19:41:54
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

Hello,

I would like to block some apps into tablets / phones. Now, to block those apps i would like to know to which websites those apps are going. 

Is there any functionality into the router which traces the IP address?

For example:

If i want to block the "Fing" app for instance, i would like to know which website it goes to.

Many thanks!

Kind regards

Options
3 Reply
Re:Question about website tracing
2023-08-11 03:16:40

Hi @Naldjer 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Unfortunately, this is not a part of the features on the router. And currently, we don't support DPI either.

I'd recommend you search the IP range of the servers of these Apps. Or you can implement a self-hosted DNS server like Pi-hole or AdGuard.

If you want to find out the IPs, you should use Wireshark. But this can only get a few limited IP addresses for your rule. The best implementation for now is the IP range on Google search which should be rather complete. Or hosted DNS server which works great based on my experience.

Start Wireshark on a computer that mirrors the port of the AP that provides the WIFI to the phone and start the app. It sends traffic to the server, filters the connection. TCP/UDP and try to find out the new sessions from the app which usually the destination is the same on multiple connections. Or the IPs fall into a similar subnet.

If your app is rather not well-known, its server IPs probably would be less. You can try the Wireshark way to achieve that.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-12 12:51:17 - last edited 2023-08-12 12:51:58

@Naldjer 

If you're a tech-savvy enough... Install AdHomeGaurd Server in your home.  Use it for an internal DNS server.  This will block those apps and other stuff.  AND tell you the DNS details.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-22 17:40:04

Yes, many routers offer functionality to trace the IP addresses that devices on your network are connecting to. This can be useful for monitoring and controlling which websites and online services specific devices are accessing. The feature you're looking for is typically called "Traffic Monitoring," "Traffic Analysis," or "URL Filtering."

Here's a general outline of how you can use your router to trace the IP addresses associated with the websites or apps your devices are accessing:

Access Router Settings: Open a web browser and enter your router's IP address in the address bar. Common router IP addresses are 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You'll need to log in with your router's username and password.

Enable Traffic Monitoring: Look for the relevant settings in your router's control panel. It might be under the "Security" or "Advanced" settings. Enable traffic monitoring or analysis.

View Traffic Logs: Once enabled, your router will start logging traffic. You should be able to view logs or reports that show which devices are connecting to which IP addresses (websites or apps).

Set up URL Filtering (Optional): Some routers have a URL filtering feature that allows you to block access to specific websites or apps directly. You can use the logs you gathered in the previous step to identify the IP addresses associated with the websites or apps you want to block.

Device-Specific Monitoring: Many routers also allow you to monitor traffic on a device-specific basis. This means you can track which websites and IP addresses a particular device is connecting to.

Blocking Specific IP Addresses: If you identify the IP addresses used by the apps or websites you want to block, you can configure your router to block access to those specific IP addresses. This is an effective way to prevent access to certain services.

Please note that the exact steps and features available can vary depending on your router's make and model. It's a good idea to consult your router's user manual or visit the manufacturer's website for detailed instructions specific to your router.

Keep in mind that while this approach can help you monitor and control website and app access, it won't necessarily give you a detailed breakdown of every aspect of the network traffic. Additionally, IP addresses may change over time, so you may need to periodically update your blocking rules.

If you have specific apps or websites in mind that you want to block, it's also worth considering using built-in parental control features on mobile devices or using dedicated parental control software or apps for more granular control over content and usage.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 408

Replies: 3

Related Articles