Sky Broadband router Modem mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-17 16:34:55 - last edited 2023-08-18 03:02:23
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Hope you can help

I've had a 3 TP Deco M4's set up with Virgin for the lats 18 month and all has been fantatstic.

However today I've changed over to Sky superfast broadband and after logging into the router I can't see how to changte this into Modem mode. From what I've since read they're one of the few providers that don't allow this. What's the best way to set this up?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Sky Broadband router Modem mode-Solution
2023-08-17 17:22:41 - last edited 2023-08-18 03:02:23

@UrbanB 

Keep the ISP provided modem router( turn off the wifi side of things )  and put the deco M4 connected to one of the Ethernet sockets in access point mode. 

You will lose the deco parental controls but your avoid double NAT issues( 2 routers on same network ) 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-18 08:32:36 - last edited 2023-08-18 08:51:40
Only way to keep parental controls is keep the Deco in router mode , I think the double Nat problems occur mostly with gaming and does introduce another hop ( performance ) on your network . Just try it as router mode ( on the deco ) and see if you’re happy with things.
Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
2023-08-17 17:22:41 - last edited 2023-08-18 03:02:23

@UrbanB 

Keep the ISP provided modem router( turn off the wifi side of things )  and put the deco M4 connected to one of the Ethernet sockets in access point mode. 

You will lose the deco parental controls but your avoid double NAT issues( 2 routers on same network ) 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Sky Broadband router Modem mode
2023-08-18 08:24:25

@IntrovertSins Thanks for the reply. That's brilliant.

Is there anyway of keeping the parent controls on the Deco? I have a 16 year old son and the parent controls were a revelation.

I did see a post where someone was setting up a DMZ (not that I've figured out how to do that either).

Alternatively can I remove the sky router completely?

Options
2023-08-18 08:32:36 - last edited 2023-08-18 08:51:40
Only way to keep parental controls is keep the Deco in router mode , I think the double Nat problems occur mostly with gaming and does introduce another hop ( performance ) on your network . Just try it as router mode ( on the deco ) and see if you’re happy with things.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-18 08:58:19

@IntrovertSins Thanks for this. I'll give this a try. Do I still disable wifi on the Sky router?

For the devices that have time sensitive applications, e.g. video conferencing, voice gaming, would direct connection via the ethernet port on the Sky route negate the Double Nat issue?

Options
2023-08-18 09:02:23 - last edited 2023-08-18 09:25:06

Ethernet connection to the Sky router modem will be te best but in terms of wifi  You will just end up with two  networks close to each other causing interference.

Just try to run everything wifi  from the Decos and see how things go.

Options
2023-08-18 09:23:51

IntrovertSins wrote

You will just end up with two wifi networks close to each other causing interference. Just try to run everything from the Decos and see how things go.

@IntrovertSins Thanks for the reply, but if I've disabled the wifi of the Sky router, using the Deco for wifi and I'm just taking a direct ethernet connection from the Sky Router there would be just 1 Wifi network. Would that work better?

Options
2023-08-18 09:26:08 - last edited 2023-08-18 09:26:38

@UrbanB 

That would make sense and should work fine.  

Options
2023-08-18 09:45:58

@IntrovertSins Sorry one last question

If I'm running this in router mode would I have to create a DMZ on the Sky Router to my Deco M4? Apart from success fully logging into the sky router and going into the advanced TAB I have no clue how to do this. :)

Options
2023-08-18 10:22:54

@UrbanB 

Sorry have not done any DMZ stuff before, maybe you will get a reply later or research. I would try the setup suggested before trying anything else. What speeds are you getting on Sky , standard copper internet  speed 70-80mbps  or is that the proper fiber connection

The deco M4 is quite an older system spec wise and not sure what the Sky router wifi is ( if its supports wifi 6 which the deco m4 does not ) . Have you used the sky router wifi to check which is better. 

Options
2023-08-18 10:39:52

IntrovertSins wrote

@UrbanB 

Sorry have not done any DMZ stuff before, maybe you will get a reply later or research. I would try the setup suggested before trying anything else. What speeds are you getting on Sky , standard copper internet  speed 70-80mbps  or is that the proper fiber connection

@IntrovertSins Thanks fore the advice. I'm on Fibre which with Sky I'v just done a speed test on their Wifi and I'm getting 148 down and 29 up at the moment

IntrovertSins wrote

@UrbanB 

The deco M4 is quite an older system spec wise and not sure what the Sky router wifi is ( if its supports wifi 6 which the deco m4 does not ) . Have you used the sky router wifi to check which is better. 

I have no idea how check the spec of the sky router

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1790

Replies: 13

Related Articles