Smart connect issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart connect issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Smart connect issue
Smart connect issue
2023-08-18 05:36:44 - last edited 2023-08-18 10:22:11
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.13.1

Hi,

i own two tp link routers, archer c80(v-2.20) and c6(v-4) . if i enable smart connect my devices are preferring 2.4ghz as default. even when i turn off wifi and on it back again it connects to 2.4ghz. is there any fix to get it connected to 5ghz with smart connect.

im using 2 mobiles poco f5 and MI 11x. with these devices only im facing the issues. remaining devices seems ok with smart connect.

i have another dlink router in which smart connect is working well with my all devices..

i dont prefer to keep seperate ssid i wish to stick with smart connect. some one please suggest how to fix the smart connect issue.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Smart connect issue
2023-08-18 05:37:41

@Dinu_ks 

if i disable smart connect and keep same ssid for 2.4 & 5ghz then also my devices prefer 2.4ghz as default

Options
2023-08-18 07:24:07

@Dinu_ks 

Hi, do you mean only the two phones poco f5 and MI 11x prefer the 2.4G WiFi, all the other devices are connected to 5G WiFi, when the two bands are using the same SSID?

Actually, with Smart Connect enabled, it is normal that some devices connect to 2.4G and some others connect to 5G, if all wireless client devices support 5G WiFi and you would like to use 5G WiFi on all devices, you could also consider disabling 2.4G WiFi and check if all of them work on 5G.

Options
2023-08-18 07:35:19 - last edited 2023-08-18 10:22:11

@Sunshine 

poco f5 and mi11x facing this issue only with the mentioned routers, every other routers connects without issue

yes i've tried that. 5ghz is working perfectly fine. only issue is with smart connect. why it prefers 2.4 instead of 5g?

Options
2023-08-18 13:00:58

@Dinu_ks As far as I know it´s the client who decides what is the best available network. That being said you may want to try a workaround that did work for me for a couple of weeks.

I have an Archer C80 v1 (US) with the latest firmware released this week and the only phone/device that I´m aware is having your same issue is my own Moto G200. All other devices are connecting to 5Ghz when they are close enough to the router and switching automatically to 2.4Ghz when they are a bit too far, except the phone mentioned which is always hooked up to 2.4Ghz.

Since you are aware already that you are connected to 2.4 Ghz and not 5 Ghz I would assume that you already know how to see the connection properties... from there click the "Edit" button in the top right corner and go to the "Advanced Settings". You can try changing the methered connection settings (sorry my Android is in Spanish and I´m not sure how to phrase it properly) but what you´re most interested in is the "Privacy". For security reasons most Android devices will randomly change their MAC Adress when connecting to a Wireless Network. Being this your own house/network I don´t see how this would be a problem but try using the option that says something like "use device´s MAC". Save the changes and check how it goes.

Hope it helps!

Options
2023-08-18 17:37:04

@Archundias nothing helps me out.. developers must work hard to make smart connect usable.  

Just a name with features "smart connect" but relatively not useful for most..

I had never faced any issue with other brands. Infact there also i have same ssid for both 2.4 and 5ghz and wifi switches flawlessly .

And most suggesed solution for smart connect I've seen in forum is to keep seperate ssid. If that is the case what is the use of smart connect then.

Ive done all possible r&d accross internet and nothing helped me out to fix this..  hope some algorithms will be done to fix this

Options
2023-08-19 17:34:59

@Dinu_ks 

@developers .  is there any fix you found for smart connect issue.. its really annoying.. my friend purchased ax10 yesterday. his most devices creating issue with smart connect.

if this was designed to connect the radio only to 2.4ghz. then its not required.. and what is the purpose in purchasing dualband and tri band routers.

none of the otherbrand has this issue, other than tp link.. 

Options
2023-08-21 06:57:17

@Dinu_ks 

When you disable smart connect and set the same SSID for both bands, the two phones still prefer 2.4G WiFi by default, which must be the behavior of the client, since smart connect has already been disabled.

Options
2023-08-21 07:04:49
the problem itself is that. please understand i own nearby 5 routers. out of which 4 are tp link.. particularly im facing issue with the Archer c80(v.2.20)&c6(v4). even smart connect enabled or disabled.. same ssid prefers 2.4only. if client is the case then every routers must behave the same. but why only these 2. this is weird bug from tplink. i have ax10 and RE205 which works flawlessly and switching the SSID as per the distance . and i'm not comfortable with using multiple ssid. today i noticed out of 27 clients 25 are 5ghz supported. where only 20 are getting connected to 5ghz. where the remaining 5 always choose 2.4ghz as default(only on Archer c80(v.2.20)&c6(v4)). i really need a fix for this.. not only me i had seem many customers having the same issue and available already in the forum.
Options
2023-08-23 15:36:05

@Dinu_ks  any solution will be much appreciated. 

Options
2023-08-28 16:54:35

@Dinu_ks 

guess tplink itself dont have the answer to over come this issue. can you guys fix the issue to resolve smart connect issue or not? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 926

Replies: 10

Related Articles