Access Point vs Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Access Point vs Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Access Point vs Router
Access Point vs Router
2023-08-19 06:12:00 - last edited 2023-08-21 03:41:24

Hi.  I've purchased at some cost a new Deco XE200 Wifi 6e mesh system.  I'm in Australia and have a home NBN (FTTN) connection, therefor a TP Link Moden/router sits in front of the Deco, connecting to the internet with Deco plugged I to Modem / Router. Should I set up my Modem,/Router in bridge mode and fully utilise the Deco Router? Or do I set up the Deco in Access Point mode?  If I do the later, what is the purpose of investi g in the Deco XE200 Wifi 6e mesh system in the first place as I'm actually using the Modem/Routers wifi?  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Access Point vs Router-Solution
2023-08-19 13:47:14 - last edited 2023-08-21 03:41:24

@Laserphile_007 

The easiest would be to set Deco mesh in Access Point mode. Even if you plan to get rid of TP-Link router, it'll be better to run Deco mesh in AP mode first, to ensure everything is working as you expect, WiFi coverage improved, etc. You will also become familiar with Deco configuration and management through Deco app.

There is very little that can go wrong when Deco mesh is configured in AP mode.

It is somewhat common misconception that in AP mode Deco mesh will extend router WiFi network. In both Router and AP mode Deco mesh will run its own WiFi network. That is why it is recommended to disable WiFi on router after deploying Deco mesh. Otherwise, you will have two separate independent networks at your place: from router and from Deco mesh, potentially interfering with each other.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Access Point vs Router-Solution
2023-08-19 13:47:14 - last edited 2023-08-21 03:41:24

@Laserphile_007 

The easiest would be to set Deco mesh in Access Point mode. Even if you plan to get rid of TP-Link router, it'll be better to run Deco mesh in AP mode first, to ensure everything is working as you expect, WiFi coverage improved, etc. You will also become familiar with Deco configuration and management through Deco app.

There is very little that can go wrong when Deco mesh is configured in AP mode.

It is somewhat common misconception that in AP mode Deco mesh will extend router WiFi network. In both Router and AP mode Deco mesh will run its own WiFi network. That is why it is recommended to disable WiFi on router after deploying Deco mesh. Otherwise, you will have two separate independent networks at your place: from router and from Deco mesh, potentially interfering with each other.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 440

Replies: 1

Related Articles