Deco M4 Intermittently Slow working with Sky FTTP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-22 14:34:30 - last edited 2023-08-22 16:24:51
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've recently switched to Sky and have some m4 routers working in AP mode (with the Sky WiFi switched off).

My laptop gets Ethernet into the Sky router gets 150 Mbps faily reliably

Via WiFi via the M4 I sometime get 100Mbps, but more oftern than not 50-60Mbps

What am I doing wrong?

{Edit} Just to add to this I've just tried plugging my laptop into the back of the Main Deco M4 via ethernet and I'm also getting 50Mbps via this too.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Intermittently Slow working with Sky FTTP
2023-08-22 19:19:56 - last edited 2023-08-22 21:41:54

@UrbanB 

If you are getting under 100Mbps on both wireless and wired connection to Main Deco running in AP mode, that usually points at issues with Ethernet cable connecting Main Deco to the ISP router (Sky router).

Check your Sky router, it might have status page for its Ethernet ports. If it does, see if Ethernet port to which Main Deco is connected negotiated 100Mbps speed instead of gigabit.

You should also replace Ethernet cable you use to connect Main Deco to Sky router. 

Options
2023-08-23 08:19:36

@Alexandre. 

Alexandre. wrote

@UrbanB 

If you are getting under 100Mbps on both wireless and wired connection to Main Deco running in AP mode, that usually points at issues with Ethernet cable connecting Main Deco to the ISP router (Sky router).

Check your Sky router, it might have status page for its Ethernet ports. If it does, see if Ethernet port to which Main Deco is connected negotiated 100Mbps speed instead of gigabit.

You should also replace Ethernet cable you use to connect Main Deco to Sky router. 

Thanks for replying

On the Sky router the only page re Ethernet is the below. I swapped the Ethernet cable (for the one connecting directly to the Sky router from the laptop) and it's still the same 50mbps from the M4 Router. 

I have tested this morning and I'm getting approx 70mbps on both Ookla and Google speed test. Weirdly on Ookla its starts well at about 130 Mbps then slows down. 

When is was Virgin I was getting 200 mbps via the Deco

Options
2023-08-23 11:45:04

@UrbanB 

It appears you can get overview of Sky router stats by doing the following:

1. Open your browser and type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar.
  2. Select the Maintenance tab
  3. Scroll down and click on Show Statistics

Not very detailed info, but it'll tell you if there are issues with LAN/WAN connection and what is the WAN connection speed.

There is not much that can go wrong with Deco running in Access Point mode. It is usually one of the following:

1. Ethernet cable (you've replaced it);

2. Your laptop uses VPN - if it does, that would explain fluctuating speeds. Turn VPN off for speed testing.

3. Ookla app, for some reason, does not connect to the nearest speed test server. You can enforce connection manually, try different server and see if speed test results improve;

4. Something (app/service) utilizes your Internet link actively (download/upload) while you are running speed tests. 

Of course, there is also a possibility of defective Main Deco hardware, but it is usually a slim one.

You can also try the following test:

Bring one of Satellite Deco to where Sky router is and connect that Satellite Deco directly to the router Ethernet port with Ethernet cable. You now have Main and one Satellite Deco both wired directly to Sky router. Check in Deco app that this Satellite Deco established Ethernet backhaul. Connect laptop with Ethernet cable to second port of that Satellite Deco and run speed test on laptop in this setup.

In AP mode, wired to the router Satellite Deco will not send traffic through Main Deco, but will send it to the router and to the Internet directly. That test will help to verify if there is an issue specifically with Main Deco.

Options
2023-08-23 12:51:11

@Alexandre. 

I'll try anothe deco incase is makes a difference

Earlier I was getting 130mbps over the Deco Wifi, when in the router stats it was 71 mbps down 31mbps up

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 304

Replies: 4

Related Articles