TP-Link Archer AX72 unreachable from secondary AP mode router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-26 06:27:33 - last edited 2023-08-31 05:58:19
Tags: #Roaming #Troubleshooting
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hi all,

I have recently updated my home network setup with an Archer AX72 router as my main router. The network setup is rather simple and can be seen in the picture below:

The setup consists of two routers in separate rooms connected via Ethernet cable. The main router as already mentioned is the Archer AX72. I have kept most of the default settings apart from the DHCP server where I have set some permanent leases and the Wi-Fi name and password, I also have set up an OpenVPN server. The secondary router is a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 v1 with OpenWRT installed and it is set up as an Access Point according to this guide. I have set the Wi-Fi names and passwords of both routers to the same values e.g: MainaNet, except the 5GHz network on the AP router which also has '5GHz' in it. The idea here being that devices would automatically switch between networks when going from Room 1 to Room 2. The rooms are far away enough so that most devices see the closer network and switch on their own. This setup has been working without any issues for years even before upgrading to the Archer AX72. I had a TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 as a main router in Room 1 with the same settings and all was fine. However, after updating the Archer AX72 to FW version 1.2.1 I started experiencing a weird problem.

When a device is initially in Room 2 and connected to the secondary AP router no matter to which Wi-Fi network 2.4 or 5GHz there is internet connection. If the device is moved to Room 1 and connected to the main router the connection is still working. If, however, the device is returned to Room 2 and connected to either the 2.4 or 5GHz network there is no internet connection. The browser reports a DNS Probe Finished no Internet Error. The Windows network troubleshooter reports Default Gateway unreachable and indeed trying to ping 192.168.0.1 through cmd is resulting in a time out. Restarting the device while in Room 2 and trying to reconnect to secondary AP router does not fix the issue. If the Main router in Room 1 is rebooted the issue goes away and the device which was brought back to Room 2 connects successfully to either 2.4 or 5GHz network. The connection persists until the next switch to Room 1 and then back to Room 2.

Because the browser reported a DNS error I tried setting different DNS servers both in the Internet section of the Main router and in the DHCP Server section, but there was no difference. And because the problem appeared after updating the Archer AX72 to version 1.2.1 this makes me think it is a bug introduced in the new version of the firmware. I am not sure if it is possible to downgrade the firmware back to version 1.1.2 but if I don't get any support or if the problem cannot be fixed in any other way I might consider trying to downgrade it.

EDIT: The issue is related to Wi-Fi only. If the device in Room 2 is connected via Ethernet cable to the AP it is able to reach the internet, however, switching back to Wi-Fi results in the same issue.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Ted

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Archer AX72 unreachable from secondary AP mode router-Solution
2023-08-30 17:24:47 - last edited 2023-08-31 05:58:19

Hi again @Sunshine,

In the process of setting up the Archer C5 as the AP I also restarted the AX72. When testing the setup with the AX72 and the C5 the issue was not present. I then connected the WDR4300 again as the AP and the issue was also not present. I have no idea why restarting the AX72 did not fix the problem in the first place. I just hope it does not reappear because it is quite annoying. Again, thanks for your help!

Regards,
Ted

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer AX72 unreachable from secondary AP mode router
2023-08-28 07:20:34

@tgechev 

Hi, thank you very much for posting on TP-Link Community.

When the wireless client device move to Room 1 and then back to Room 2, only that specific client device will have no internet access or all wireless client devices that are connected to the AP? how about the client devices that are still connected to main router in Room 1?

In addition, as the 1.2.1 firmware release note mentioned, I am afraid you are unable to downgrade the firmware to 1.1.2 any more via the regular firmware update process, if it is really necessary at the end, you could try firmware recovery: How to recover the router when it bricked

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-08-28 07:34:24

Hi @Sunshine,

and thank you for reaching out!

To answer your question, as long as a device is not moved from Room 2 to Room 1 and then back to Room 2 it will be able to access the internet via the AP.

No matter if a device has previously been in Room 2, it will always successfully connect to the main router when in Room 1 and access the internet.

The issue occurs only for a device which has switched rooms and has initially been in Room 2, connected via AP. The fact of one device switching rooms does not affect other devices connected in either of the rooms.

I hope this makes it clearer now.

Regards,

Ted

Options
2023-08-29 08:46:48

@tgechev 

Hi, may I know if your previous router Archer C5 is still available or not? If so, it is recommanded to use the C5 to replace WDR4300 for comparison.

The problem now is that the WDR4300 is using OpenWRT firmware instead of TP-Link official firmware, thus we are unable to test or troubleshoot on the third party firmware, if Archer C5 as AP has the same problem, please let us know your C5 hardware and firmware version as well.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-08-29 09:18:17
Hi @Sunshine, Yes, it is available. I will set it up instead of the WDR4300 and report back.
Options
Re:TP-Link Archer AX72 unreachable from secondary AP mode router-Solution
2023-08-30 17:24:47 - last edited 2023-08-31 05:58:19

Hi again @Sunshine,

In the process of setting up the Archer C5 as the AP I also restarted the AX72. When testing the setup with the AX72 and the C5 the issue was not present. I then connected the WDR4300 again as the AP and the issue was also not present. I have no idea why restarting the AX72 did not fix the problem in the first place. I just hope it does not reappear because it is quite annoying. Again, thanks for your help!

Regards,
Ted

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-31 05:58:11

@tgechev 

Hi, thank you very much for the update, glad to hear that it seems to be working now, you could monitor it for longer time.

Hope you could enjoy the internet with our products.

Options
2023-08-31 11:55:38

@tgechev 

Hello, you can still go back to the firmware before.

switch on your ax 72, press the reset button on the back of the router for 10 s.

let it reboot and log in 192.168.0.1 and update to old firmware.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 804

Replies: 7

Tags

Roaming
Troubleshooting
Related Articles