Is this the beginning of the end for Omada SDN now that Omada Pro has been introduced

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is this the beginning of the end for Omada SDN now that Omada Pro has been introduced

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-26 08:34:29 - last edited 2023-08-26 20:43:38
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

@Clive_A @Hank21 @Fae 

Does anyone from TP-Link have any information about this, it is stupid to invest anything more in Omada SDN. i suspect this is the beginning of the end for Omada SDN,

The reason for my concern is that I have seen this before, I remember the AC50 and AC500 suddenly disappearing, the same with Omada suddenly becoming Omada SDN and all support stopped for the previous products.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/all-omada-pro/

to me it looks like the same products as Omada SDN just with new packaging and name

Options
6 Reply
Re:Is this the beginning of the end for Omada SDN now that Omada Pro has been introduced
2023-08-26 09:04:14
I think those are for cloud and software only. If you have hc, you’re out of that update line.
Options
Re:Is this the beginning of the end for Omada SDN now that Omada Pro has been introduced
2023-08-26 11:55:00 - last edited 2023-08-26 11:55:26

@MR.S 

I think this will be a license base thing versus a "free" version.  Sounds like the Pro line will get some high-end features versus the standard Omada Product line.  

Kinda sounds like Meraki versus Meraki Go or Aruba versus Instant On.  Just an assumption here. 

I think it will run side by side, but you pay a license fee more advance options.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-08-26 12:36:51

@KimcheeGUN 

Yes I hope you are right but I am not so sure so it will be interesting to see if we ever get Omada SDN V6.

Hopefully, TP-Link will provide some additional information about Omada Pro and Omada SDN roadmap for the future..

Options
2023-08-28 01:56:27

Hi @MR.S

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

In brief, KimcheGUN is right about this. License free vs Licensed. For any further information, please refer to the official website and news.

Omada SDN will continue and Pro will be developed in parallel.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-08-28 08:28:27

I hope the features that are available in competitors (Mikrotik, pfSense) will not be added to Omada Pro ..

Moving away from this Tp-Link would be escape .

Controller V5.12.43 (Ubuntu) OC200 v1.0 V5.13.30 OC300 v1.0 V5.13.30 EAP225 v4.0 EAP245 v3.0 EAP110 v4.0 EAP225-Outdoor v1.0 EAP610-Outdoor v1.0
Options
2023-08-28 13:00:06

@AhmetAkkaya 

At this point... I wouldn't put Tik and especially PFsense up as "competitors"...  That's comparing Apples to a Watermelon.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options