Help please?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Help please?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Help please?
Help please?
2023-09-01 19:33:19 - last edited 2023-10-11 09:41:38
Tags: #Router
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Please forgive my ineptitude, I'm not very tech savvy, so I thought I'd ask for some advice from people who hopefully know what they're on about. 

My current router is a very basic Linksy's WAG200G Wireless-G ADSL2+ Modem Router, which I've had since 2007. It still works, but my broadband internet connection quite often drops out. I don't know if it's a problem with the router now it's knocking on a bit, or if it's the ISP, or both.

Anyway, I'm considering getting the TP-Link AC1200 Archer C50 Router. 

What I'm unsure about is the physical set up. My current old Linksy's router is connected to an ADSL filter, which is connected to a BT phone socket. 

I've been reading reviews about the Archer C50, and noted that several people commented that they had theirs connected to a modem. 

What I was wondering is, do I need a modem to connect the router to, or will it work just fine connected to the ADSL filter, like my current Linksy's router is?

And, is the Archer C50 fine for basic broadband internet, or is it designed for fibre broadband etc?

Like I said, I'm not very tech savvy, so any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Rachel

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Help please?-Solution
2023-09-04 03:53:19 - last edited 2023-10-11 09:41:38

@RachH 

Hi, thank you very much for posting on TP-Link Community.

Archer C50 is a wireless router only instead of a modem and router, it needs to connect via Ethernet cable to internet access, and no ADSL port or phone line port, thus it cannot connect to your ADSL filter directly.

In your case, if you don't want to use your old modem any more, you will need to purchase an ADSL modem first and then connect Archer C50 to the modem via Ethernet cable, or you could also purchase a new ADSL modem and router combined, such as TP-Link DSL modem routers listed on our official website, you could also use some filers on the left to select the specific models:

DSL Modem Routers | TP-Link

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Help please?-Solution
2023-09-04 03:53:19 - last edited 2023-10-11 09:41:38

@RachH 

Hi, thank you very much for posting on TP-Link Community.

Archer C50 is a wireless router only instead of a modem and router, it needs to connect via Ethernet cable to internet access, and no ADSL port or phone line port, thus it cannot connect to your ADSL filter directly.

In your case, if you don't want to use your old modem any more, you will need to purchase an ADSL modem first and then connect Archer C50 to the modem via Ethernet cable, or you could also purchase a new ADSL modem and router combined, such as TP-Link DSL modem routers listed on our official website, you could also use some filers on the left to select the specific models:

DSL Modem Routers | TP-Link

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 324

Replies: 1

Tags

Router
Related Articles