Deco BE85 can it "port trunk / link aggregation" the 2 x 2.5gb LAN ports ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-22 08:12:38

Hi folks,

I thought of getting a Deco BE85, to upgrade my network, 

For now I have a Qnap with 2x a 2.5gbp/s which supports "port trunking", with possible future upgrades to a 10gb/s I think it's possibly cost less when I upgrade directly 2 a Deco BE85, having directly the wifi7 integrated making possible a 5gb/s for my file serving, until I get 10gb/s NIC in the rest of my hardware.

This would require a link aggregated 2.5 combined on the Deco BE85, to prevent buy in between making it the end goals of upgrading more expensive.

Anyone able to give me advice in this?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco BE85 can it "port trunk / link aggregation" the 2 x 2.5gb LAN ports ?
2023-09-23 11:55:13

@Nl_katana75 I always thought the maximum throughput for an individual client is the bandwidth of the port used for trunking, 2.5 GBps in this case, and the only way to utilize 5GBps would be to have multiple clients using the bonded interface concurrently.

If you are aware of that and this is what your expecting then it should work fine.

I guess the other thing to consider is whether the NAS itself has the capacity to push that much data through the bonded interface.

Options
2023-09-23 12:05:48

@Nl_katana75 I don't know if the BE85 supports trunking but even if it does I'm pretty sure you won't get anywhere near 10GBps out of the wireless and I doubt you'll get close to 2.5GBs either. 

Options
2023-09-23 18:05:52

raven-au wrote

@Nl_katana75 I don't know if the BE85 supports trunking but even if it does I'm pretty sure you won't get anywhere near 10GBps out of the wireless and I doubt you'll get close to 2.5GBs either. 

@raven-au  I am MCSE, for the 10gb I'll want 4x +250mB/s disc I a raid 0, ill think it will work.Packetsize made a difference from 180MB/ S 2 this.

Options
2023-09-23 18:53:30 - last edited 2023-09-23 19:31:05

@raven-au  can't combine the answer, see bellow, I think it will work, I tried some documents but could not find it so far, on the 

Link aggregation / port trunking

Would be the same thing. I would like to know if this state of the Art, expensive auto sensing WAN on the RJ-45 can actually use 2 ports (2.5) as 1 port so I can for the coming time run at 5gb/s (dual connecting my Qnap 2.5gb/s in2 it)  which would be near 600 MB//s which gives options for "remote installation" being it more responsive (not access time but load times on such would intercept in the total time of +10gb loads) on a sata3 most often bottlenecks cs this at 550MB/s.

Options
2023-09-24 01:39:19

Nl_katana75 wrote

@raven-au  can't combine the answer, see bellow, I think it will work, I tried some documents but could not find it so far, on the 

Link aggregation / port trunking

Would be the same thing. I would like to know if this state of the Art, expensive auto sensing WAN on the RJ-45 can actually use 2 ports (2.5) as 1 port so I can for the coming time run at 5gb/s (dual connecting my Qnap 2.5gb/s in2 it)  which would be near 600 MB//s which gives options for "remote installation" being it more responsive (not access time but load times on such would intercept in the total time of +10gb loads) on a sata3 most often bottlenecks cs this at 550MB/s.

@Nl_katana75 as I said the trunking does not provide the full speed of the connection to a single client, that's simply a fact you can't avoid, in this case the maximum any one client will get is the 2.5G of the bond member ports.

Options
2023-09-26 08:46:18

@raven-au 

https://youtu.be/cCygGB2-6Uw?si=kyLrkJODunhmiZVy this still clearly looks as a possibility to litterly combine the ports instead of making a full duplex / send receive per port as you folks suggest.

Options
2023-09-26 10:34:34

Nl_katana75 wrote

@raven-au 

https://youtu.be/cCygGB2-6Uw?si=kyLrkJODunhmiZVy this still clearly looks as a possibility to litterly combine the ports instead of making a full duplex / send receive per port as you folks suggest.

@Nl_katana75 maybe things have changed since I played with it and the switch I used was low end too, and it was a long time ago.

But it's all academic if the BE85 firmware doesn't support link agregation and that's quite possible.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1061

Replies: 7

Related Articles