Deco says there is no internet, yet internet works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-24 13:09:17

Yesterday internet stopped working out of the blue.  Deco was telling me that there was no internet connection, so I did the usual resetting of the modem (cable) and the Deco unit, all to no avail.  My ISP told  me that the modem was showing everything working fine, and indeed the internet light on the modem was solid green.  I connected a computer directly to the modem and seemed to have connectivity, although strangely I could not ping any internet address (e.g., google.com) in the terminal.

Convinced that the problem was the Deco router (even though relatively new) I swapped units but nothing changed. I then connected an old linksys router which indicated that it was connected to the internet, but devices connected to that router could not connect to the internet.  I again connected a computer to the modem, and this time I got very inconsistent results.  Gmail was showing I was connected, but I could not load other web pages.

I reconnected everything to its original configuration and decided to call it a night, use my cell phone as a mobile hot spot, and tackle the problem the next day.  About ten minutes later everything was working again.

This morning (now) the internet is working fine, almost.  I noticed that a couple of mobile devices (cell phone and tablet) could not connect to the internet.  I checked their wireless settings, which were the same as my laptop and another cell phone that is successfully connected via wifi.  I went into the Deco app and it was telling me that there was no internet connection, but I was connected just fine with my laptop and one of my cell phones. 

So that is my current situation.  Some devices are connected just fine, other devices won't connect and Deco is telling me that there is no internet, which is plainly not the case.  I have searched the internet for a solution.  Others seem to have had this problem, but there is no explanation or solution available.  There are hints that DNS has something to do with it, but my dns servers are fine.  My primary is my ISP's (spectrum) and my secondary is google's 8.8.8.8. 

If the only problem was Deco telling me I'm not connected, I could live with it, but not being able to connect with some mobile devices is a problem.  This is obviously a recurring problem and TP-link should do something about it.  I'm likely to return the units as defective, because they are. 

The model is X4300pro, which I would have entered in the header but that model does not show up in the list. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco says there is no internet, yet internet works
2023-09-26 04:38:20

@mgo_new_paltz I'm assuming you did the "power cycle" first?

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options