Archer C80 (v1) - remove branding and passwords?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-26 22:03:51 - last edited 2023-10-11 08:39:39
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have this router from a previous ISP - they have now ceased business but I can still use this as an access point. This works, but the router has very tenacious branding from the ISP:

• Logo on the login page and heading
  • Nasty default admin password and default wifi names/passwords

These can be changed (except the logo), but restore to the ISP's defaults (ie not the expected TP Link defaults) after a factory reset. Likewise I have upgraded to the latest firmware but but even then the defaults persist.

I would like to 'fully' reset this router to TP Link defaults - and/or I'm quite curious as to how these settings have been baked in?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C80 (v1) - remove branding and passwords?-Solution
2023-10-01 14:49:14 - last edited 2023-10-11 08:39:39

@mwrobot Follow-up - with a bit more detective work, finally solved this.

The ISP settings are baked in with a TP Link OEM tool called Agile Config - it allows to generate a settings file that (via some unknown protocol) gets uploaded to the router and survives a reset or firmware upgrade.

Elsewhere on this forum I found out how to remove the applied config:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/232130

Now the router is really reset to factory default!

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C80 (v1) - remove branding and passwords?
2023-09-27 07:07:38

Hi @mwrobot 

Try to upgrade the Archer C80 firmware via recovery mode using the following FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1482/

Options
2023-09-27 21:30:27 - last edited 2023-09-27 21:31:00

@endless_despair - many thanks for the suggestion and the link.

But from what I can see, this procedure is only available when the router is bricked? Mine is not - I can log in normally, so I can only upgrade the firmware through the usual web interface, I don't think I can get into this recovery mode.

Doing either a firmware update and/or a factory reset, restores the ISP's default password.

I'm baffled as to how they baked these settings in!

Options
2023-09-30 08:27:11

Hi @mwrobot 

As far as I know, you can get access to the recovery page even without it being bricked. Many users that encounter any issues on new firmware usually downgrade firmware of their routers using the recovery menu.

Options
2023-10-01 13:59:24

@endless_despair Many thanks for the reply. The instructions were a bit flaky but I managed to get to the recovery mode (in this case I had to hold the reset switch while powering on).

Reinstalled firmware... and got the same result! It's still got ISP logo and defaults baked into it. It's not that big a deal but now I'm even more curious how it's done - it was a small ISP so I can't believe they bought custom hardware from TP Link?

I'm probably stuck with it but thanks again for the time :)

Options
Re:Archer C80 (v1) - remove branding and passwords?-Solution
2023-10-01 14:49:14 - last edited 2023-10-11 08:39:39

@mwrobot Follow-up - with a bit more detective work, finally solved this.

The ISP settings are baked in with a TP Link OEM tool called Agile Config - it allows to generate a settings file that (via some unknown protocol) gets uploaded to the router and survives a reset or firmware upgrade.

Elsewhere on this forum I found out how to remove the applied config:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/232130

Now the router is really reset to factory default!

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-01 15:58:41

@mwrobot 

Good finding - the protocol that makes this auto-configuration possible is called TR-069.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-02 07:00:17 - last edited 2023-10-02 07:01:23

@mwrobot 

Technical Report 069 is installed by more than 200 carriers and CSPs globally. The Technical Report 069 platform is a unified device management solution. Carriers and CSPs automate robust Data, VoIP and IPTV deployment and support. On the market, Technical Report 069 is considered the simplest solution, easiest to deploy, integrate and use. 

Super Mario

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 7