Archer C6 disconnects after connecting Ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-28 20:40:21 - last edited 2023-09-28 20:41:40
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have the following:

ISP modem on house entrance where ISP internet comes from

Archer C6 on dining room with Access Point Mode enabled

the internet port of this router has a ethernet cable connected that comes from the Modem to get the internet from there, it works perfectly fine

Archer C6 on my bedroom with Access Point Mode enabled

the internet port of this router has a ethernet cable connected that comes from the dining room Archer C6 ethernet port 1

The problem is that the Archer C6 on the bedroom works perfectly fine with both Wi-Fi 2.4 and the 5G, I have my phone connected there.

But when I try to connect my laptop with a normal ethernet cable, connected from the bedroom Archer C6 ethernet port 1 to the laptop,

the bedroom Archer C6 internet just keeps disconnecting all the devices connected to it including the ones connected to the Wi-Fi andthe laptop connected via the Ethernet.

and then connects again the internet comes back to all devices Wi-Fi and Ethernet, and disconnects after some seconds, and just keeps repeating that.

Is it a problem with my laptop configuration? what should I do?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C6 disconnects after connecting Ethernet
2023-09-29 01:17:18

@nel1337 

If connecting the laptop only causes this issue then probably that's the culprit.

Make sure that DHCP server on both C6 is turned off, i.e. ISP modem is the only DHCP server in your network.

To isolate the problem you could:

1. Use another ethernet cable to connect the laptop to the Bedroom C6 - possible cable issue.

2. Connect the laptop to another LAN port on the Bedroom C6 (LAN2 for example) - possible LAN port issue.

3. Connect another device to the Bedroom C6 LAN port via ethernet cable - possible laptop ethernet port issue.

For your laptop to work properly it would suffice to set its network adapter to get its IP address dynamically by DHCP.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-09-30 18:52:41

@terziyski Thanks for your reply,

I tried using different cables, diferent LAN port on the bedroom C6, and my laptop's ethernet port is perfectly fine.

Also I checked and on both C6 the DHCP servers are disabled so that shouldn't be a problem, but still the problem persists.

What I did was a small test, the dining room C6 it has it's own Wi-Fi and also has a SmartTV connected via Ethernet on the LAN ports. I disconnected the bedroom C6 and I replaced the dining room C6 for the bedroom C6.

And the SmartTV keeps showing the message "Connected via cable", then shows "Disconnected", and this message every 10 seconds.

This didn't happen with the original dining room C6 which is hardware V2 I believe while the bedroom C6 is hardware V3 or higher.

Now I'm not sure if the problem is that the bedroom C6 (V3 or higher) has some problem/fault when a device connects to it via Ethernet since Wi-Fi works fine, or maybe it has a different configuration than the other C6 and I need to change some settings or reset both to factory state.

Options
2023-09-30 22:04:23

@nel1337 

You can determine the bedroom C6 HW version by its bottom sticker.

While it has its wirelss radio working fine, it could have problems with its ethernet ports.

Regardless its HW version, when in AP mode, C6 should work fine for both wireless or wired clients.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-09-30 22:52:21

@terziyski The bedroom C6 has hardware 4.0, the dining room C6 has hardware 2.0.

There must be a problem with the C6 4.0 since trying to do the same stuff with the 2.0 works fine without any problems.

Should I try to get another C6 2.0 for the bedroom?

Options
2023-10-01 09:53:20

@nel1337 

If it's a hardware issue with your C6 v4 device, replacing it probably would solve the issue no matter which HW version you choose.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 225

Replies: 5

Related Articles