Can I Use TP-Link Deco S7 3 Pack AC1900 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System In Place Of Existing Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I Use TP-Link Deco S7 3 Pack AC1900 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System In Place Of Existing Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-01 08:02:39 - last edited 2023-10-12 03:50:42

Hi. I've been Googling and the more I read the more confused I become.  I think the answer is YES but before committing to purchasing I need someone knowledgeable to confirm please (or otherwise) .

I'm in Melbourne, Australia on NBN with FTTP (fibre to the premises).  Currently with Telstra ISP with one of their Telstra Gen 2 (Technicolor LH1000) modem/routers but am about to change ISPs to a 100/20 plan (currently on 50/20) and buy a new setup to replace the Telstra Gen 2.

Hoping I can buy the 3 pack and use one as the router and the other 2 for signal strength through our 29 sq 2 storey house.

Can anybody confirm that if I buy the 3 pack I can use one as the router and the other two throughout the house please?  

Amy disadvantages to doing it this way?

TIA

Gary

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I Use TP-Link Deco S7 3 Pack AC1900 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System In Place Of Existing Router-Solution
2023-10-02 02:24:02 - last edited 2023-10-12 03:50:42

@GCovo I don't know if it's the same in Perth ... but I expect it is.

I'm pretty sure Telstra is a problem, at least for those who need the Telephone service.

If you use the VoIP service of the Telstra gateway you can't easily change it to something else.

Do you use this, I don't use the VoIP service any more but when I did I had a separate FritzBox that plugged into a router port and I know the port forwarding rules it needs?

Telstra will refuse to provide you with SIP configuration details, most importantly your user and password and it can be very difficult to get the information.

Other ISPs I have used have provided the SIP configuration for customer setup without any fuss.

Anyway I have, just last Tuesday, been upgraded to FTTP (from FTTN) and the nbn box they placed on my wall provides an Ethernet connection that plugs straight into my XE75. I expect this will work with any router (ie. not a DSL modem/router although some of the DSL devices have a Ethernet WAN port as well as a DSL port).

I suspect that the nbn setup in this case is the same for everyone and is essentially controlled by nbn co, basically set the internet connection to DHCP auto-IP and you're done.

The other problem you may have is if the ISP uses CG-NAT (I'm looking at Aussie broadband here) which effectively prevents port forwarding, if you happen to need it.

I recommend you confirm what I'm saying before making decisions because I don't use Telstra as an ISP so I haven't actually verified what I have said is in fact correct.

Of course, like many/most in AU, I do use an nbn service so that aspect I can verify.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Can I Use TP-Link Deco S7 3 Pack AC1900 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System In Place Of Existing Router-Solution
2023-10-02 02:24:02 - last edited 2023-10-12 03:50:42

@GCovo I don't know if it's the same in Perth ... but I expect it is.

I'm pretty sure Telstra is a problem, at least for those who need the Telephone service.

If you use the VoIP service of the Telstra gateway you can't easily change it to something else.

Do you use this, I don't use the VoIP service any more but when I did I had a separate FritzBox that plugged into a router port and I know the port forwarding rules it needs?

Telstra will refuse to provide you with SIP configuration details, most importantly your user and password and it can be very difficult to get the information.

Other ISPs I have used have provided the SIP configuration for customer setup without any fuss.

Anyway I have, just last Tuesday, been upgraded to FTTP (from FTTN) and the nbn box they placed on my wall provides an Ethernet connection that plugs straight into my XE75. I expect this will work with any router (ie. not a DSL modem/router although some of the DSL devices have a Ethernet WAN port as well as a DSL port).

I suspect that the nbn setup in this case is the same for everyone and is essentially controlled by nbn co, basically set the internet connection to DHCP auto-IP and you're done.

The other problem you may have is if the ISP uses CG-NAT (I'm looking at Aussie broadband here) which effectively prevents port forwarding, if you happen to need it.

I recommend you confirm what I'm saying before making decisions because I don't use Telstra as an ISP so I haven't actually verified what I have said is in fact correct.

Of course, like many/most in AU, I do use an nbn service so that aspect I can verify.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I Use TP-Link Deco S7 3 Pack AC1900 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System In Place Of Existing Router
2023-10-02 08:47:23

Thanks @raven-au 

In actual fact we've been very happy with Telstra but beginning to suspect their Gen 2 modem/router is having problems because even sitting right by it as I am now on Messenger it will often say waiting for network on my Samsung S6 tablet.  Could be Messenger or something else of course but Telstra is quite expensive compared to other highly regarded alternatives I figured it was time for a change of modem/router and ISP.  Also lost my speech 25 years ago to a very rare form of MND so a home phone is no use.  We disconnected it over a year ago because 99% of the calls we got were spam.  I only ever answer my mobile when my wife rings everybody who knows us either SMSs me or rings her.

From all I've read the S7 seems the perfect solution for our situation.  We currently have a couple of range extenders for things like our solar system reporting and another upstairs near the pc but reception is still flaky.

However, the big question is do I need a separate router plus an S7 2 pack or just an S7 3 pack?

Options
Re:Can I Use TP-Link Deco S7 3 Pack AC1900 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System In Place Of Existing Router
2023-10-03 00:15:50

@GCovo I thought I already said you don't need an additional router if you have NBN FTTP and don't need a VoIP service but recommended you confirm that.

My understanding of this is that a modem (not a modem that also a router), or a router in modem only mode is nothing more than a media converter to Ethernet. That white NBN box you have contains a media converter from Fibre to Ethernet so that plugs straight into most routers (ie. ones that aren't DSL).

Given that I converted from FTTN (needs a DSL device to convert to Ethernet) to FTTP this last Wednesday and removed my modem and pluged the FTTP Ethernet cable from the NBN box directly into my Deco and all is working fine I think what I'm saying is accurrate.

Beware, even the NBN technition didn't understand the above difference and tried to tell me I needed to plug the NBN Ethernet cable into the modem Ethernet WAN port. That might have worked since the modem was in bridge mode (essentially a DSL device in modem only mode) but why would I do that, it isn't needed any more.

Anyway, I hope all goes well and I hope I'm not missing anything on your side (doesn't sound like it) ...

Options
2023-10-03 06:57:14 - last edited 2023-10-03 07:07:37

@raven-au 

Thanks again.  Don't know what I was thinking when I asked the last question in my previous reply.  Doh!  My brain obviously slipped out of gear.... 

One thing I have decided on further research is to go for a WiFi 6 AX1800 system instead of the WiFi 5 S7.  It's years since I bought anything like a modem or router so for an extra $100 I may as well do it properly (within reason given our limited resources).  Should do us here till we either move or they carry me out in a box.  :)

Options
2023-10-03 13:29:56 - last edited 2023-10-03 13:30:33

@GCovo yes, the Wifi 6 AX wireless drivers have had some time to mature now, there can still be some problems with them but it's not too bad. They look like fairly good value, smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 686

Replies: 5

Related Articles