Teenagers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Teenagers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Teenagers
Teenagers
2023-10-19 08:27:16

Hi all,

I am trying to out smart my teenager and she seems to be winning. Every time her phone is blocked she's able to forget the wifi and then rejoin. So how do i

1/. set it up so I need to give permission to join the wifi

2/. or be able to shut the whole network off at a certain time

3/. or anything else that would help as she is driving me insane.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Teenagers
2023-10-19 08:48:23 - last edited 2023-10-19 08:49:48

You should be able to block her by using the MAC address (which doesn't change and it is unique per device). But you will then need to block it/unblock it manually, there's no way to do so periodically when using the app AFAIK.

To do so, have her joining the network, in the client list find her device. By clicking on her device you will be able to see the IP in use (which will change and it's pointless to block) and the MAC address. Take a note of it and then use the block list feature to add it and block the device

Options
2023-10-19 08:50:11
Ok, that would work for the moment. How do I find the MAC address please.
Options
2023-10-19 08:52:30
Ok that should work and then I can give her access to the guest network and turn it off when I want right?
Options
2023-10-19 08:52:42
Have her joining the network, then in the client list find her device. By clicking on her device you will be able to see the IP in use (which will change and it's pointless to block) and the MAC address. Take a note of it and then use the block list feature to add it and block the device. If we are using the same version of the app you can access the block list by clicking on the top right icon after clicking on the Client sections. The icon looks like a page with a deny icon
Options
2023-10-19 09:55:53
I never tried so I can't tell if the Guest network has a different block list. If it doesn't have one, you can simply remove and re-add the block when needed
Options
2023-10-19 15:42:07 - last edited 2023-10-19 15:42:51

Dave7130 wrote

Hi all,

I am trying to out smart my teenager and she seems to be winning. Every time her phone is blocked she's able to forget the wifi and then rejoin. So how do i

1/. set it up so I need to give permission to join the wifi

2/. or be able to shut the whole network off at a certain time

3/. or anything else that would help as she is driving me insane.

@Dave7130 

You haven't told what Deco model(s) you have in your Deco mesh. Different Deco models have different feature set that might be able to deal with a user bypassing parental controls.

Also, what smartphone your teenager has: iPhone or Android? 

"or be able to shut the whole network off at a certain time" - for that, you can change Deco Main Network WiFi password in Deco app and that will kick everyone out of your Deco mesh. For absolute certainty, you could force Deco mesh reboot through Deco app after changing WiFi password.

When you want to restore access, change password back.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 424

Replies: 6

Related Articles