How to connec a remote client to a VPN server on a router without a public IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to connec a remote client to a VPN server on a router without a public IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-19 10:39:55 - last edited 2023-10-20 08:34:40
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: V1.2

Hi, 

I know the public IP address of my router, but this address is shared. My ISP does not have any free public IP addresses and ISP does not provide port forwarding.
I need to connect a remote client to my network. I think it's probably not possible, but maybe my knowledge is not enough and that's why I'm asking.
If that doesn't work, I'll have to buy another router with a VPN client, maybe an Archer AX20.

Best Regards
Petr Kraus

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to connec a remote client to a VPN server on a router without a public IP address-Solution
2023-10-19 17:36:20 - last edited 2023-10-20 08:34:40

@Petr_Kraus 

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. If you use the VPN Client (in Archer AX20) you can connect to a remote VPN server with a permanent public IP address that also has a domain name.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:How to connec a remote client to a VPN server on a router without a public IP address
2023-10-19 11:05:30

@Petr_Kraus 

If your ISP doesn't provide a public IP address to your router, there's no way to connect to the Archer AX10 or any other router VPN Server.

Even if you buy an Archer AX20 with VPN Client you won't be able to connect to its VPN Server from an external network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:How to connec a remote client to a VPN server on a router without a public IP address
2023-10-19 12:52:06 - last edited 2023-10-19 13:38:40

@terziyski 

I don't understand why it is not possible to connect to a remote VPN server with a permanent public IP address that also has a domain name. I have years of experience with Mikrotik routers that can connect to any VPN server and create any network connection on any platform with your own VPN server. Are there any firmware changes planned to make it easier to connect to a remote VPN server? If not, I'll have to use some cheap Mikrotik again

Is there any TP-Link router that can do this?

Options
Re:How to connec a remote client to a VPN server on a router without a public IP address-Solution
2023-10-19 17:36:20 - last edited 2023-10-20 08:34:40

@Petr_Kraus 

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. If you use the VPN Client (in Archer AX20) you can connect to a remote VPN server with a permanent public IP address that also has a domain name.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to connect a remote client to a VPN server on a router without a public IP address
2023-10-20 08:33:51

@Petr_Kraus Thank you for answer.
The Archer AX20 should arrive today, Monday at the latest. I will try to set up the connection. Only if I don't have enough knowledge to set up a VPN server connection with a call back.
Best regards
Peter Kraus

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 365

Replies: 4

Related Articles