Zero Bytes showing for devices in Omada software

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-20 22:56:28 - last edited 2023-11-09 07:36:57
Model: TL-SG2008  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.8

I am not sure when this started or if it has always been this way and I just did not notice.  I have a ER7206 router connected to my TL-SG2008 switch, and downstream from that are several unmanaged DLINK switches, one Netgear 8-port managed switch and 3 EAP610 access points.  I recently connected an OC200 hardware controller - I was previously using the software controller.  When I look in the Omada Clients page I see many LAN devices that show zero bytes downloaded or uploaded despite the devices working at all times.  The wireless devices connected to the EAP610's all are showing values for upload and downloaded bytes.  Some of the LAN connected devices are reporting values but not all of the devices on any of the downstream switches are reporting the right values.  In fact, some devices that are showing values look whacked - I see many GB's being downloaded from devices that are barely being used.

Does anyone have any idea what may be whacked?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Zero Bytes showing for devices in Omada software-Solution
2023-11-07 08:22:25 - last edited 2023-11-09 07:36:57

Hi @kdurigan 

kdurigan wrote

@kdurigan 

I just looked a little closer and it appers that only ONE LAN connected device on each downstream switch is rreporting data.  Is the TL-SG2008 or OMADA just seing the overall switch statistics instead of each MAC that is attached to the switches?  Again, all devices that are connected via WIFI are showing data.

The test team responded to my email that this is normal as the Omada Controller is not capable of doing the stats calculation because it does not have the chipset. So, the calculation is done by either the switch or the EAP. However, like the response I gave you earlier, you have to use an Omada product or it cannot calculate the traffic and display it correctly.

That third part switch is calculating but it cannot share the information with the Omada switch. In the end, it'll display the stats incorrectly.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Zero Bytes showing for devices in Omada software
2023-10-23 07:46:41

Hello @kdurigan,

What is the firmware version of your OC200?

What's the network layout(current topology) of your devices? (You can draw a diagram of Network Topology simply if you don't mind.)

kdurigan wrote

When I look in the Omada Clients page I see many LAN devices that show zero bytes downloaded or uploaded despite the devices working at all times.  The wireless devices connected to the EAP610's all are showing values for upload and downloaded bytes.  Some of the LAN connected devices are reporting values but not all of the devices on any of the downstream switches are reporting the right values.  In fact, some devices that are showing values look whacked - I see many GB's being downloaded from devices that are barely being used.

Could you share some screenshots to show these displayed issues with us?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-10-23 13:29:57

@Hank21 

Controller Version

Model

OC200 2.0

Firmware Version

2.11.3 Build 20230906 Rel.36272

Topology:

Cable Modem ->

ER7206 (4 ports)->

EAP610 #1

Netgear managed switch (8 ports)

EAP610 #2

7 more wired devices

TL SG2008 (8 ports) ->

OC200

DLink unmanaged switch (8 ports)

EAP610 #3

Several more wired devices

Netgear unmanaged switch (4 ports)

4 wired devices

5 more wired devices devices/rooms

Options
2023-10-23 13:33:04

@kdurigan 

it looks like screen shots do not come through.  The individual devices just show up wiyh aztivity/download speed, download and upload all at zero bytes...

Options
2023-10-24 01:52:25

Hi @kdurigan 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Please paste a picture of the issue you are trying to express. Would confirm if we are on the same page. I think you are talking about the real-time stats of the speed on the controller, is that right?

If so, can you use your device which shows zero download/upload speed, and download a large file which may take a minimum of 5 minutes, and refresh the page several times in 1-2 minutes monitor session?

So, in this way, can you see the speed going up? The stats may not be accurate if you use the controller when both the controller and the switch will need to sync the speed from time to time. This might not be a real-time monitoring. Will take time to sync between each other.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-24 13:01:11

@Clive_A 

It is not just the speed, it is also download and upload statistics.  As you can see, the clients have been up for many days - the RokuMainFamRoom device streams 10GB/day yet shows zero bytes.  The first 3 devices have a lot of traffic going to them at all times.  If you look at the bottom of this screen shot, the wireless devices show data correctly.

In this second screen shot you can see that some devices are reporing on the Ethernet interface, but the numbers look way wrong.  The OC200 should not be getting this much traffic, I would think.  The RokuBaseFamRoom device is rarely used, but i did watch a football game on Sunday so I suppose it may be ok - still seems high.  The OC200 is plugged directly into the TL-SG2008, the RokuBasFamRoom is plugged into an unmanaged 4-port Netgear switch along with a couple of other devices that probably had no, or very low traffic.  The Netgear switch is plugged into the TL-SG2008. 

Options
2023-10-25 02:50:17

Hi @kdurigan 

Can you draw a simple diagram of your network again?

8 port is connected with a switch?

So let me put this fact first, if your device is not an Omada device, the stats may not be correct. We cannot sync with another brand. If your device is connected to another brand switch, then that switch may not show correctly in the stats.

I see you mentioned a managed switch on other ports and your screenshot shows several devices are sharing the same port. I think this is the reason. It calculates the data to the switch or other devices Omada can recognize.

If you want to fix it, use Omada supported switch. The problem should be gone. I've seen this before.

Options
2023-10-25 13:16:55

@Clive_A 

I am not sure I understand why the downstream switches would matter.  The statistics should be based on the MAC address of the clients and have nothing to do with the switch the client is connected to.  Also, I have EAP610 wireless access points connected to the downstream/unmanaged switches, and all clients that are using those access points are properly reporting statistics.  This only affects LAN/Ethernet connections.  Am I incorrect that statistics should be based on the MAC of the clients?

Options
2023-10-26 08:55:05

Hi @kdurigan 

kdurigan wrote

@Clive_A 

Also, I have EAP610 wireless access points connected to the downstream/unmanaged switches, and all clients that are using those access points are properly reporting statistics.  This only affects LAN/Ethernet connections.

So you can try this EAP on the managed switch and check if that is correct or not. I met this before and I have explained the fact before we go deeper. If I am not convincing, you may do a test yourself.

Options
2023-10-27 08:07:14

Hi @kdurigan 

What's the result? Care to follow up on your case.

If it still shows incorrectly, you can let me know the controller version. TL-SG2008V3 3.0.8 is the firmware of your switch. Right?

Options
2023-10-27 14:16:33

@Clive_A 

Below is my current topology.  Note that ALL wifi devices connected to the EAP610's report data correctly regardless of the switch they are connected to.  Also, SOME of the LAN connected devices report data on each of the 3 down stream switches but most do not.  The OC200 seems to have very high traffic numbers - I do not know if this is normal or not.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 833

Replies: 13

Related Articles