Best router for wi-fi - need to reach external building

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-24 16:28:54

Hello

I am currently on a plusnet router, which is the same as a bt homehub 2, I believe. The wi-fi signal is barely and only intermittently reaching the external, converted garage which is my office. The near corner of the office is 8 metres from the router, the far corner about 12. After much research I think the best option is to just buy a new router with much better wi-fi. Unfortunately I only get 16Mbps download and 1.27 Mbps upload (in the main house), the fastest internet money can buy where we live. Any suggestions as to what the best router would be, as I am getting a but lost with the options on offer with tp-link.

Many thanks.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Best router for wi-fi - need to reach external building
2023-10-24 19:35:11

@BuckshotLeFunk 

An Archer AX53 could give you a good coverage.

You have another option - keep the plusnet router for your home and connect the AX53 in AP mode (Case 1) in your office.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-25 14:05:58

@terziyski Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. If I use the tp-link router as a WAP, will that create a new wi-fi network with a different login, or just "boost" the existing network, which I assume is what will happen?

Many thanks indeed.

Options
2023-10-25 18:02:43 - last edited 2023-10-25 20:03:35

@BuckshotLeFunk 

It will create a new wireless network, but you could give it the same name as your plusnet router SSIDs or different - it's your choice.

All this will extend your wireless coverage on a larger area and the devices connected to the plusnet router or AX53 (in AP mode) will be in the same local network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-10-25 19:39:19

@terziyski Thanks again for your reply. But if it creates a new network, does that not mean that when I go from the house to the office, that my phone will have to connect to the new network, or it might stick to the week signal of the house network and I would have to force it to connect to the network of the WAP?

Many thanks. :-)

Options
2023-10-25 19:43:07

@BuckshotLeFunk 

Yes, that is exactly what it means and it would depend only on your phone (or other device you're using) for how long it will stay with the weak signal before switching to the stronger one.

Options
2023-10-25 19:47:16

@terziyski Thank you so much for your advice. I guess it also means that the new wireless printer that is coming can't be accessed from the house as it will be on the other network.

Regarless I will go and buy the AX53 now and set that up as the main router, and I am pretty hopeful that will have a strong enough range to reach the studio/office - the specs certianly look good.

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it.

Have a great evening.

Options
2023-10-25 20:01:03 - last edited 2023-10-25 20:01:33

@BuckshotLeFunk 

Any device in your hose or garage will be in the same local network and be accessible regardless to which SSID is connected - plusnet router or the AX53 (in AP mode).

You're on the righ track - test AX53 as your main router and if you need more wireless coverage then use your plusnet router as a main router connected to the AX53 in AP mode.

Options
2023-11-05 13:24:32

@terziyski interestingly, it turns out that the Archer AX 53 has a weaker Wi-Fi signal than the BT Smart hub 2, just posting this in case anyone would find this useful, so I'm using the Archer as a wireless access point instead. Thanks again for your help.

Options
2023-11-08 20:46:42 - last edited 2023-11-08 20:52:19

I would second buying another router and using it in AP mode. I can say that if you dont want to buy a expensive router to use as a AP i would highly reccomend the archer c6. I think i payed £35 each for my c6 routers and they was a solid little router. theyve been rehomed to my pals house who has done his set up the same way as i had it at his property and now has 0 dead spots. The wifi range i got on my c6 routers was really impressive.

When i set my network up i had a ax72 as my main router and i had 2 c6 routers set up in AP mode,

One for my top floor as i have a 2 story house and i had another c6 out in my mancave down bottom of my garden ( about 15m from my main router) and i could pick the wifi signal up from the c6 at the front of my house.

I could move around my house and when i went down to my man cave i had wifi where ever i went in my property, The router if you choose to by a router and put it into AP mode in your outhouse you should get the same speeds that you get at your main router.

I would advise as said above to use the same ssid and password as your main router that way you should be able to roam between routers and your device should then switch over to the stronger signal. 

It is dependent on each device so you may have to turn your wifi on and off some times 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 830

Replies: 9

Related Articles