BT FTTP

BT FTTP

BT FTTP
BT FTTP
2023-10-27 21:22:50 - last edited 2023-10-30 01:55:02
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I'm posting here because my router (ER7212PC) is apparently business gear.

I'm a domestic BT FTTP customer, I've plugged my ONT into the router/switch and I've got 3 WAPs connected to the switch via POE.

I've setup Omada but I'm really struggling to get things working.

Can anyone help me out please?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:BT FTTP -Solution
2023-10-27 22:25:29 - last edited 2023-10-30 01:55:06

@Siari1221 

There are a few gotchas here. 

First you need to support the SFP type that your ONT reports as (things like autonegotiate, speed, power etc.).

Next, if BT is anything like most other PON ISPs, you'll have a VLAN setting for your Internet that must be made on the WAN port of the 7212, this is typically done via the IPTV settings in the controller.  You'll also have different VLANs for phone and TV if you subscribe to those services too.  Omada supports 3 VLANs via IPTV you should get these from BT or a BT User forum.

This is how i have mine setup...first I use Advanced properties on the WAN port to set the internet VLAN of 35

If I had them, this is how I'd setup for phone and TV.   Obviously you'd need policy routes to steer set top boxes or ATAs to the right VLAN.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-28 08:09:20 - last edited 2023-10-30 01:55:02

@Siari1221 

First you need to support the SFP type that your ONT reports as (things like autonegotiate, speed, power etc.).

Next, if BT is anything like most other PON ISPs, you'll have a VLAN setting for your Internet that must be made on the WAN port of the 7212, this is typically done via the IPTV settings in the controller.  You'll also have different VLANs for phone and TV if you subscribe to those services too.  Omada supports 3 VLANs via IPTV you should get these from BT or a BT User forum.

The BT ( Openreach supplied ) ONT provides an RJ45 Ethernet connection, just connect that to the WAN ( not SFP ) port on the 7212. Configure the WAN connection for PPPoE. AFAIK the credentials are standard , username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the pw is BT. No VLAN ID is required , this is automatically handled by the ONT.

If you have Digital voice , it will not work! and there is no way to get it to work using anything other than the BT supplied router.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
2023-10-27 22:25:29 - last edited 2023-10-30 01:55:06

@Siari1221 

There are a few gotchas here. 

This is how i have mine setup...first I use Advanced properties on the WAN port to set the internet VLAN of 35

If I had them, this is how I'd setup for phone and TV.   Obviously you'd need policy routes to steer set top boxes or ATAs to the right VLAN.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-28 08:09:20 - last edited 2023-10-30 01:55:02

@Siari1221 

The BT ( Openreach supplied ) ONT provides an RJ45 Ethernet connection, just connect that to the WAN ( not SFP ) port on the 7212. Configure the WAN connection for PPPoE. AFAIK the credentials are standard , username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the pw is BT. No VLAN ID is required , this is automatically handled by the ONT.

If you have Digital voice , it will not work! and there is no way to get it to work using anything other than the BT supplied router.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:BT FTTP
2023-10-28 14:58:50

@d0ugmac1 thank you! Solved!! Really appreciate the support

Options
2023-12-13 19:37:28 - last edited 2023-12-13 19:38:51

Hello, Reigniting this thread. Everything was working after following the advice posted. I then disconnected everything and boxed up to allow decorating to finish. Ive since reconnected and the network shows wifi but no internet. Im at a loss where to go from here. Should i factory reset and then follow the posted guidance? Or does anyone on this forum have specific experience of setting up Er7212pc on Bt Fibre? Appreciate any support!

just for info, I connected the old homehub and the Internet does work so there is no fault in the line or service confirmed.

Options
2023-12-13 20:12:57

@Siari1221 

I think a factory reset introduces more chances for error.  You'd be better off logging in and checking things like if the device recognizes the SFP, if the SFP shows link up or down etc.

Options
2023-12-14 20:49:33

I've put screenshots of the settings I'm struggling with at the moment.

In screenshot one - the multiple check points for SFP WAN/LAN1, SFP WAN/LAN2, WAN etc, currently i only have WAN selected, is this correct?

Options
2023-12-14 21:14:32

@Siari1221 

that should be fine...and the same cable as before from the ONT is plugged into the correct WAN port?

If so, what does this look like:

Options
2023-12-15 07:43:01

@Siari1221 its not fine, you have VLAN enabled on the WAN connection!!!

As I have said previously, there is no need for a VLAN setting on BT FTTP, any VLAN requirement is handled by the ONT.

In the WAN advanced settings you need to disable Internet VLAN and disable 802.1Q Tag

Options
2023-12-15 10:44:41

@MisterW SOLVED!

Thanks everyone who contributed - I hope this thread is useful for other dummies like me who may come along!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 384

Replies: 9

Related Articles