Only Main deco showing devices connected

2023-10-30 19:53:54 - last edited 2023-10-31 03:33:10

I have Deco M9s all around the house but it appears that they are all connected to the Main Deco unit (currently 23 devices online and all connected to the main unit)  - none of the others show any devices connected. Does the system just show them connected to the main unit but they are actually using the m9s around the house - or are they all actually connected to the main unit and the 6 others are doing nothing? Can anyone help with this? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Only Main deco showing devices connected-Solution
2023-10-30 21:03:52 - last edited 2023-10-31 03:33:10

@Seyeclops 

Deco app can't update M9 that has firmware 1.2.*. Instead of giving meaningful error message such as "unable to update," Deco app will tell that system is up to date. It is Deco app bug.

You must update Main Deco to 1.6.*, and any other Deco unit which is also on 1.2 firmware. You have to do it manually. Follow this document: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

Method 1 is failing for your Main Deco as I explained, try Method 3 and if that also does not work - try Method 2

After successful update, do Deco mesh restart by manually powering off all Satellites and Main Deco, then powering them on.

After upgrade is successful, Deco app will be able to update firmware in the future. You only going through the manual process once.

Let me know when Main Deco is updated successfully, Deco mesh restarted and if that fixed the problem. 

If you can't update Main Deco firmware no matter what you tried, and if it is the only one with firmware 1.2 - I may be able to give you a workaround, but for now please try firmware upgrade.

Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
Re:Only Main deco showing devices connected
2023-10-30 20:24:57 - last edited 2023-10-30 20:26:23

@Seyeclops 

I have M9s in my Deco mesh and I can reassure you that every Satellite Deco shows devices connected to it. Main Deco only shows devices connected to Main Deco.

I will need additional information from you, if you want me to figure where the problem could be. Please share screenshot of "Update Deco" page from Deco app, which will tell me what firmware versions your Deco units have. If firmware is very old, such as 1.2.*, this could be a problem.

Example:

Also, just to make sure your Deco mesh is properly configured, all Deco units are online and healthy, please share "Show Map" screenshot from your Deco app.

Example:

By the way, from that screenshot taken from my Deco app you can see Satellites (Office and Bedroom) reporting devices connected to them, in addition to Main Deco (Living Room).

Options
2023-10-30 20:49:09

@Alexandre. Thanks mate. 

it looks like the main deco is only 1.2 - but I have regularly updated so I don't know why this one is different from the others. 

I can't find how to show the configuration - as you showed in your second image. It used to show but I can't find it now. 

Options
Re:Only Main deco showing devices connected-Solution
2023-10-30 21:03:52 - last edited 2023-10-31 03:33:10

@Seyeclops 

Deco app can't update M9 that has firmware 1.2.*. Instead of giving meaningful error message such as "unable to update," Deco app will tell that system is up to date. It is Deco app bug.

You must update Main Deco to 1.6.*, and any other Deco unit which is also on 1.2 firmware. You have to do it manually. Follow this document: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

Method 1 is failing for your Main Deco as I explained, try Method 3 and if that also does not work - try Method 2

After successful update, do Deco mesh restart by manually powering off all Satellites and Main Deco, then powering them on.

After upgrade is successful, Deco app will be able to update firmware in the future. You only going through the manual process once.

Let me know when Main Deco is updated successfully, Deco mesh restarted and if that fixed the problem. 

If you can't update Main Deco firmware no matter what you tried, and if it is the only one with firmware 1.2 - I may be able to give you a workaround, but for now please try firmware upgrade.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-30 22:01:43

@Alexandre. Thanks. I will try this in the morning and hopefully it will fix the problem. Your help is very much appreciated. 

Options
2023-10-30 23:36:05

@Alexandre. I am unlikely to get time to do this for several days (as the work laptops in the house won't allow me to download the software due to security - so I will have to get my mac from another location) but one thought just occurred to me. As all the other deco M9s seem to have been upgraded to V1.6 - can I just use one of these deco units and swap it for the main unit (and then make that the main unit) - and then resolve the issue with the one M9 when I get time? I have more than I really need anyway. 

Options
2023-10-30 23:52:55 - last edited 2023-10-30 23:53:54

@Seyeclops 

You can swap Main Deco, and this is the workaround I was going to suggest if upgrade will fail. There is just one thing: you can't buy new M9 Plus in single units, only in 2-unit and 3-unit sets. Which means, if you bought them new you should have more than one M9 Plus with firmware 1.2 in your Deco mesh. 

So, yes, go ahead and swap Main Deco with different Deco unit, here is the process: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Choose Satellite Deco you bought the last, chances are it will have 1.6 firmware.

After successful swap, check in Update Deco that new Main Deco has firmware 1.6. If yes, check if now devices are reported as connected to Satellites. If not, remove all Satellite Decos with firmware 1.2 your Deco mesh, this is how: How Do I Reboot or Reset My System?

Follow Reset a Deco unit section from that document. Do that for all Satellite Deco with firmware 1.2.

Options
2023-10-31 09:43:48

@Alexandre. Thanks. I will try this at the weekend and hopefully let you know it has all worked out. Thanks so much for your help. 

Options
2023-11-05 13:35:54

@Alexandre. 

I have replaced older deco M9 v2 plus with one of the newer ones and made it the Main unit connected to the Virgin router. The 3 new units are now updated to 1.62 (although one of the images attached does not suggest that - but they are) but the 3 older units will not update. I have removed them and added them back into the system but nothing seems to work. . I have tried to connect to one of them with an Ethernet cable but it will not even open the web management login. 

i have removed the older devices again and just added the one in the office - as you see with the photos attached it has not updated and appears not to have any devices connected. 

I presume my only option now is to replace the 3 older units? Add them one by one and hope they are all updated and will update in future?

one final thing. If I was to replace the whole M9 Deco Plus system (I can get my work to pay for it) what is the best home system with WiFi 6 that I could buy to replace the M9s? For example X60 AX5400? 

And if I just remove all the m9s should I be able to start again with a new main unit and add as many additional units I want?

Will attach some more photos to another reply as struggling to attach to this post. 

thanks. 

Options
2023-11-05 13:38:33
Options
2023-11-05 13:40:53
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1122

Replies: 20