Implement WISP in most of the routers, or fix WDS.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-30 20:54:07 - last edited 2023-10-30 22:44:12
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.13.1 Build 230609 Rel.31746n(4555)

So I just bought the Archer C80, thinking that it would have more and better capabilites than TL-WR841N, but I was wrong... Well, partly.

The Archer C80, and most other newer routers have more capabilities than the TL-WR841N, for example. But some other capabilities were taken out.

Yes, I'm talking about the WISP operating mode. For what reason would you not implement it in newer routers? Do they that think everyone can pass a giant cable through their whole house?

Anyways, I thought this was a lost case, until I found WDS. Essentially, it's the same thing as WISP mode, just without DHCP.

So I turned it on, connected to my main router, and great. I got connection. But, it's funny because I heard another day "Technology can be pretty inconvenient", and I was like "What? How?"

I finally learned how. Because apparently the WDS in this router only let's you get access to the internet wirelessly. In other words, my PC that is connected via ethernet to the C80 router doesn't get internet, nor does any other device connected to the LAN ports.

Like... Seriously? This is the equivalent of switching from micro usb-b to usb-c, but the cable doesn't inherently have one side with micro usb-b, so now, you have to get an adapter...

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Implement WISP in most of the routers, or fix WDS.-Solution
2023-10-30 22:18:12 - last edited 2023-11-03 19:58:27

@KamiFrost 

By design WDS should allow you to use the ethernet ports of the extended router (C80 in your case).

I've seen similar reports regarding LAN ports of the extended router and that's an issue, becasue LAN ports should be bridged to the wireless connection.

Depending on your main router there could be some incompatibility because WDS is not a standard.

Here's a post that I've came across while searching for a solutoion:

<https>://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/lan-ports-not-working-in-a-wds-setup.1350807/post-10360526

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-03 18:54:30 - last edited 2023-11-03 19:58:04

terziyski wrote

@KamiFrost 

Setting DNS manually for your wired client ethernet connection means that you didn't received a proper DNS information from your main router.

For accessing the C80 WebGUI there are two approaches:

1. Make an IP address reservation for C80 in your main router DHCP server.

or

2. Set a static LAN IP address for C80 outside the DHCP address pool of your main router, but still in its network subnet.

Try one of these to check if you can access your C80 WebGUI by its LAN IP address.

@KamiFrost 

Why don't you try the second option from my post. This may resolve the issue you have.

If your main router operates in 192.168.1.0/24 subnet and it has DHCP range:192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200 then set C80 LAN IP address to 192.168.1.254 and test.

If this works it will resolve the issue accessing C80 WebGUI and also the C80 changing its IP address constantly.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
2023-10-30 22:18:12 - last edited 2023-11-03 19:58:27

@KamiFrost 

By design WDS should allow you to use the ethernet ports of the extended router (C80 in your case).

I've seen similar reports regarding LAN ports of the extended router and that's an issue, becasue LAN ports should be bridged to the wireless connection.

Depending on your main router there could be some incompatibility because WDS is not a standard.

Here's a post that I've came across while searching for a solutoion:

<https>://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/lan-ports-not-working-in-a-wds-setup.1350807/post-10360526

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Implement WISP in most of the routers, or fix WDS.
2023-10-30 22:53:41
Ironically enough, I had manually set the DNS in my ethernet connection. Once I've reset the ethernet configurations, sure enough, it worked haha. A bit dumb from my part, but again, how would I know the issue initially? In a way, yeah, pretty incovenient. But thank you very much, it's fixed... almost fixed haha. It's probably inherent to WDS, but, now I can't access the router interface, unless I reset it. It automatically redirects me to the main router when I try to access it through the default IPv4. And won't load even if I try the IPv4 that's assigned to it, in the main router.
Options
2023-10-30 23:02:44 - last edited 2023-10-31 00:25:39

@KamiFrost 

Setting DNS manually for your wired client ethernet connection means that you didn't received a proper DNS information from your main router.

or

2. Set a static LAN IP address for C80 outside the DHCP address pool of your main router, but still in its network subnet.

Try one of these to check if you can access your C80 WebGUI by its LAN IP address.

Options
2023-10-31 00:16:27
My main router doesn't have that capability, but it's fine. I've did what I had to do in the Archer C80, ethernet and wireless are both working. I can't access the WebGUI but it's fine, I won't need it for now. I'll be waiting for firmware updates... maybe they could bring back WISP mode, like the one TL-WR841N has. It would be much more practical, I guess.
Options
2023-10-31 00:25:18 - last edited 2023-10-31 03:05:06

@KamiFrost 

It depends what you're trying to achieve.

WISP (in C80) will introduce a double NAT for the C80 connected devices, separating them in another network subnet.

WDS (in C80) will avoid a double NAT and all devices would be in the same network subnet.

Options
2023-10-31 12:59:31

@terziyski Is there any down side with having double NAT?

Options
2023-10-31 16:27:12

@KamiFrost 

Double NAT: When it works well:

Generally, if all you need is a connection to the Internet, a double NAT configuration will work well, and you'll run into no issues.

Also, a double NAT setup makes the top-level NAT network -- hosted by your new router -- isolated (and more secure) because devices in this network are behind two layers of firewalls and NATs. They are also invisible to those connecting to the lower-level NAT.

That said, double NAT is an excellent setup if you want a particular group of devices to be isolated from another group. It's better than using Guest Wi-Fi networks.

Double NAT: When it doesn’t work well:

The primary problem with double NAT is that devices belonging to one NAT will not communicate locally with those of the other NAT because each router has its own private set of local IP addresses shielded from the outside.

Specifically, a computer connected to the gateway can't print to a network printer connected to the new router. The two don't "see" each other. You'll also have issues with local services like data sharing, media streaming, network backup, etc.

All devices can see one another via the Internet, so using Internet-based printing or communications still works in double NAT.

Another thing is that your new router's advanced network settings, such as VPN, port-forwarding, etc., will not work as expected by default.

Options
2023-11-03 12:48:14
I have another small problem. The Archer C80 in WDS, keeps changing its IPv4 address for some reason. It's weird. You said that with WDS there wouldn't be a double NAT, and there isn't. I can communicate with my main PC (connected to the C80), with other devices connected to the main router, no problem. But for some reason, the IP addresses of the devices connected to the C80 are hidden in the main router, and the C80 keeps changing its IP address. If I do a network scan (like in cmd or with an app), I can see all the IP addresses just fine. It's weird...
Options
2023-11-03 18:54:30 - last edited 2023-11-03 19:58:04

terziyski wrote

@KamiFrost 

or

@KamiFrost 

Why don't you try the second option from my post. This may resolve the issue you have.

If your main router operates in 192.168.1.0/24 subnet and it has DHCP range:192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200 then set C80 LAN IP address to 192.168.1.254 and test.

If this works it will resolve the issue accessing C80 WebGUI and also the C80 changing its IP address constantly.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-03 20:07:34

@terziyski 

I see... Thank you. So basically I've reset the Archer C80, did all the setup again, but this time I went to "Network" -> "LAN", and then I changed the IP address from "192.168.0.1" to "192.168.1.2", which I've also set apart from the DHCP in the main router. So before, the distribution was 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. Now it's 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.254.

As you said, 192.168.1.2 is outside of the DHCP address pool, but it still belongs to the main router subnet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 762

Replies: 10

Related Articles