Turn off access points at night

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-01 14:51:37 - last edited 2023-11-02 06:37:55
Tags: #green function
Model: EAP660 HD   TL-SG3428MP  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.0

Hi, I want to turn off the access points at night. It is for different schools, about 600 AP's. But i want that i can turm them on without login on in the Omada controller. Just in case there are still some people working in the school in the evening.

I saw that you can make a Time Range profile that i can attach to a access point. It must be possible to attach that profile to a PoE port of a switch but i couldn't find that setting. But either way, i would like to override that setting. May be with an api?

We have a software controller by the way.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Turn off access points at night-Solution
2023-11-01 16:46:52 - last edited 2023-11-02 06:37:55

@Skippie 

You are absolutley headed in the right direction.  First off, POE control is how I would do it, it's done per switch (so per location really):

And yes, there should be a way to override this with an API.  Happy to help you dig further on this if needed.

Basically I would use a web URL, that's site specific with maybe some basic auth that overrides the current setting with 'ON' commands.

That way, someone on site after hours could activate the APs without you or controller access.  Maybe you leave one AP active 24/7 at the office to facilitate.

Latest API link is here https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/590430?replyId=1196216 

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Turn off access points at night-Solution
2023-11-01 16:46:52 - last edited 2023-11-02 06:37:55

@Skippie 

You are absolutley headed in the right direction.  First off, POE control is how I would do it, it's done per switch (so per location really):

And yes, there should be a way to override this with an API.  Happy to help you dig further on this if needed.

Basically I would use a web URL, that's site specific with maybe some basic auth that overrides the current setting with 'ON' commands.

That way, someone on site after hours could activate the APs without you or controller access.  Maybe you leave one AP active 24/7 at the office to facilitate.

Latest API link is here https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/590430?replyId=1196216 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Turn off access points at night
2023-11-01 16:57:08

@Skippie 

May have to unmanage the switches and go SSH (see Ch25 in attached, which supports CLI control of POE ports) until the API catches up (or you reverse what you need from the Omada controller)

https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-SG3216(UN)_V2.0_CLI.pdf

Options
2023-11-02 09:48:43

@d0ugmac1 Thank you for your help. The PoE schedule, i must have looked over it, great. The idea of leaving one AP on is also a good idea. And thanks for the link. I never did something with an api but i think it is now time to start with it. I will let you know if i have problems with it, and i think it's fair to let you know how i realised it (if i succeed smiley )

Thanks again.

Options
2023-11-02 12:47:02

@Skippie I had a look through the API doc and I don't think POE scheduling is currently exposed.  That leaves the option of writing your own webscraper app to manipulate the controller UI webpages or....

It occurred to me that for the price of 1 external POE injector (for live AP) and 1 wifi controlled outlet (per POE switch) you can do all of this with Home Automation solutions.

Basically using IFTTT or the vendor's own app to control the power to the POE switch via a smart wall outlet (which obviously needs to be on an AP NOT connected to the switch being powered on/off!).  IFTTT should provide you all that you need to allow for remote overrides using email or other input sources to flip a school's switch back on anytime 24/7 when needed.

Options
2023-11-15 09:49:31

@d0ugmac1 Thanks i will have a look at that Home Automation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 535

Replies: 5

Tags

green function
Related Articles