Disabling DHCP server on my host router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-02 15:02:59 - last edited 2023-11-02 16:17:40
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20230807 Rel. 65977

Hey there,

I've set up a basic configuration with my main Deco unit connected to the host router.

The WiFi on my host router is turned off, and all my wireless devices are getting IP addresses from the Deco units (192.168.68.xx), and it's working fine.

Recently, I've added an unmanaged switch to the main Deco to connect more wired devices. However, I've noticed that sometimes these wired devices are getting IP addresses from the host router's range (192.168.1.xx), and they can't communicate with the Deco-connected devices.

My question is, can I safely disable the DHCP server on the host router without affecting the rest of the network and Deco units?

Thanks a bunch,
Ran

Options
2 Reply
Re:Disabling DHCP server on my host router
2023-11-02 19:48:29

@Ranb 

There is something strange going on, because with that network diagram there is no way devices connected to the switch will get IP addresses from Host Router.

This is what I would suggest: configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. That will bring all devices to the host router's range (192.168.1.xx), does not matter how and where they are connected, and they will be able to communicate with each other.

See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
Re:Disabling DHCP server on my host router
2023-11-03 12:38:45

@Alexandre. 

Hey!

Appreciate the speedy response!

Since the network is stable now, I'd prefer not to lose the Deco's enahanced router functions by switching to the Access Point mode.

I can actually access all devices on both subnets for now, so everything's good.

Many thanks again,

-Ran

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 226

Replies: 2

Related Articles