Mesh network choices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh network choices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh network choices
Mesh network choices
2023-11-04 16:52:30 - last edited 2023-11-06 07:56:29

Since changing to Virgin media I have had constant issues with one of my Ring cameras losing the WiFi signal. After trying several changes in router settings including splitting my network and having the cameras on 2.4g only, the problem still exists so I have just purchased a deco E4 triple pack which I have set up and appears to be helping the camera issue but due to my lack of experience I have a few questions;

Does naming the deco network (and password) the same as my Virgin router/modem create any issues? I only want the deco gear for the camera which is in a wifi dead spot as all other equipment and areas are good over the original network. I have set the deco one for 2.4 only which I'm led to believe the cameras work better on. Am I better off making it a separate name and password or will this conflict?

I read that it is better to switch off my original network and use only the new deco one for everything but I already have a 500+mb speed coming in and working fine over WiFi in most places (except obviously the troublesome camera) so I don't really want to have only 100mb which I believe is all the Ethernet connection can handle on the unit plugged into the router/modem.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mesh network choices-Solution
2023-11-04 18:51:54 - last edited 2023-11-06 07:56:29

@Networkvirgin 

If you only or mostly need Deco mesh for camera, it makes sense to create separate SSID/password for Deco. By doing that you will be in control where any device will connect: to Virgin router or to Deco.

You can have same SSID/password on both Deco and Virgin, but then it is device which will decide where to connect and it may jump between these two for any reason or without any obvious reason. It is especially problematic for devices that support only 2.4GHz, because those could stubbornly connect to weak WiFi signal ignoring stronger signal from nearby WiFi node.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Mesh network choices-Solution
2023-11-04 18:51:54 - last edited 2023-11-06 07:56:29

@Networkvirgin 

If you only or mostly need Deco mesh for camera, it makes sense to create separate SSID/password for Deco. By doing that you will be in control where any device will connect: to Virgin router or to Deco.

You can have same SSID/password on both Deco and Virgin, but then it is device which will decide where to connect and it may jump between these two for any reason or without any obvious reason. It is especially problematic for devices that support only 2.4GHz, because those could stubbornly connect to weak WiFi signal ignoring stronger signal from nearby WiFi node.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Mesh network choices
2023-11-04 19:39:11
Hi Alexandre, thank you for the advice, I didn’t actually think of it that way, it makes sense now, even to a novice like me 👍🏻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 232

Replies: 2

Related Articles