NO internet connect when connecting TPlink er707-m2 with virgin broadband hub 5x

NO internet connect when connecting TPlink er707-m2 with virgin broadband hub 5x

2023-11-09 09:44:20 - last edited 2023-11-10 01:43:43
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently upgraded to fibre with virgin broadband and received a new hub 5x that doesn't have modem mode option, I tried to set up my new ER707-M2 but theres has been no internet access, I guess this is because i can not put virgin hub 5x in to modem mode. Any suggestion on a way around ths

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:NO internet connect when connecting TPlink er707-m2 with virgin broadband hub 5x-Solution
2023-11-10 01:42:52 - last edited 2023-11-10 01:43:43

Hi @bodep 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You can either MAC clone the previous router MAC address to the ER707-M2.

Or you should reboot the modem while the new router is connected.

Once and for all, you should contact your ISP to release the MAC address. Root cause is the modem or ISP issue.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:NO internet connect when connecting TPlink er707-m2 with virgin broadband hub 5x-Solution
2023-11-10 09:22:22 - last edited 2023-11-13 01:30:13

@Clive_A with respect , the MAC address of the ER707 is irrelevant. The Virgin HUb is in router mode with its DHCP server active and so will be allocating a private IP address to the ER707 whereas , when in modem mode, it would have allocated the public IP.

@bodep 

Assuming both the virgin hub and the ER707 are set to defaults, the problem is likely that the Er707 has been allocated a WAN IP in the 192.168.0.x subnet. This is the same as its default LAN subnet and therefore the ER707 can not route from LAN to WAN.

The solution is to change the LAN subnet on either the virgin hub OR the ER707 , I suggest 192.168.2.x , making sure that any DHCP pool is also changed to be in the same subnet. This will give internet access , however its not ideal since there will be a 'double NAT' situation. If you use a VPN, voip or require any port forwarding then this will be difficult in a double NAT situation.

NB you will probably want to manually disable the wireless on the HUb since that will also still be active.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2023-11-10 01:42:52 - last edited 2023-11-10 01:43:43

Hi @bodep 

You can either MAC clone the previous router MAC address to the ER707-M2.

Or you should reboot the modem while the new router is connected.

Once and for all, you should contact your ISP to release the MAC address. Root cause is the modem or ISP issue.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-10 09:22:22 - last edited 2023-11-13 01:30:13

@Clive_A with respect , the MAC address of the ER707 is irrelevant. The Virgin HUb is in router mode with its DHCP server active and so will be allocating a private IP address to the ER707 whereas , when in modem mode, it would have allocated the public IP.

@bodep 

Assuming both the virgin hub and the ER707 are set to defaults, the problem is likely that the Er707 has been allocated a WAN IP in the 192.168.0.x subnet. This is the same as its default LAN subnet and therefore the ER707 can not route from LAN to WAN.

The solution is to change the LAN subnet on either the virgin hub OR the ER707 , I suggest 192.168.2.x , making sure that any DHCP pool is also changed to be in the same subnet. This will give internet access , however its not ideal since there will be a 'double NAT' situation. If you use a VPN, voip or require any port forwarding then this will be difficult in a double NAT situation.

NB you will probably want to manually disable the wireless on the HUb since that will also still be active.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:NO internet connect when connecting TPlink er707-m2 with virgin broadband hub 5x
2023-11-13 01:30:01

Hi @MisterW 

MisterW wrote

@bodep 

Sorry that I am not familiar with any modem/router on the market. Glad that you could point it out and hope it helps the OP.

Typically, we think if you replace the old router with a new one, mostly, it'll be fixed by the solutions I provided above.

Very few times, unless with other information, we assume it is in modem mode, and the MAC address needs to be released.

Thanks for your insight and hope it helps others. yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 285

Replies: 3

Related Articles