Help getting better performance from deco mesh

2023-11-14 14:31:07 - last edited 2023-11-14 22:12:15
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm struggling to understand the best way to set up my network. Please see the below. I find that the Dining Room deco frequently gets "lost" and the Kitchen Deco usually has a really weak signal. Can anyone advise?

The Office and Spare room are on the 1st floor and the others on the ground floor. I put the second P7 in the Spare Room since the Ground floor is a separate ring and I gather the powerline signal won't work across separate circuits?

The rooms are organised like this:

1st Floor
[office (main p7)] - [Bedroom (no deco)] - [spare room (p7)]

Ground floor

[lounge] - [dining room] - [kitchen]

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Help getting better performance from deco mesh-Solution
2023-11-14 19:53:33 - last edited 2023-11-14 22:12:15

@ldean 

First, assesment of what you have, then recommendations.

Assesment

You have Deco mesh consisting of three models of Deco: M9 Plus, M5 and P7. I will rank them the following way:

1. M9 Plus - the best of all three. It is the most powerful of all three and it is tri-band. Tri-band units shine when work together: deliver faster WiFi speeds on Satellite M9 when it is connected to Main M9. 

2. M5 - second best. Less powerful than M9 Plus, not tri-band, but good enough especially for Satellites.

3. P7 - the problematic one. By itself, P7 is a decend Deco, but it does not work in your case. Not only it has issues with powerline link at your house as I can judge from screenshots you provided, but it also has older firmware comparing to M5 and M9. That older firmware robs your Deco mesh of very useful features M9 and M5 have.

Hence,

Recommendation

You should rebuild your Deco mesh with making M9 Plus a foundation of it, M5s around M9s, and P7s removed.

Steps

1. Promote Dining Room M9 Plus to Main Deco and replace Main Deco P7 with it. Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

2. Delete all P7 from your Deco mesh. Follow "reset a Deco unit" from this document: How can I reset or reboot my Deco Whole-Home Wi-Fi System?

3. Your Lounge M9 should now be connected to your Main Deco M9 in the office. Open Lounge M9 info page in Deco app and check what it does report of connection and signal quality. Example:

Signal should be Fair or Good, all three bands (2.4 Ghz/5 GHz_1/5 GHz_2) should be listed. If you have it like that, all is good.

4. Power off Deco M5. Check WiFi coverage on both floors. It is possible you'll find it sufficient, then you are done. If not, continue.

5. Bring M5 to the dining room where M9 used to be. Power on M5. Configure it to connect to Lounge Satellite M9 Plus using Connection Preference feature you should now see in your Deco app after you removed P7s: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

If done correctly, you'll see this connection between Satellite M5 and Satellite M9 reflected in Deco app "Show Map." 

6. Check again WiFi coverage on ground floor. If it is good now, you'll need to repeat same on 1st floor: buy additional M5, place it in Bedroom, make it connect to Main M9 in Office if M5 does not do it by itself. Check WiFi coverage on 1st floor.

Final Thoughts

Don't delay with this if you will need additional M5. Looks like they are becoming End of Sale, and it would mean it'll be harder and harder to buy one.

Alternatively, you can ditch M5 you have and buy 2-unit M9 Plus set, and rebuild your Deco mesh with just four M9 Plus units following same setup as I outlined. M9 Plus are becoming End of Sale, too, so look around - you may be able to find a good deal on them. If you do, I would strongly recommend getting 2-unit set of M9 Plus instead of additional M5.

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Help getting better performance from deco mesh
2023-11-14 15:40:04 - last edited 2023-11-14 15:40:28

@ldean 

If you stand near Main Deco in the office on the first floor, which room will be right below it on the ground floor: lounge, dining room or kitchen? 

It is often that one can't move Main Deco, and ideally one of Satellite Deco on the other floor should be right above or below Main Deco. When you give me that info I'll tell you what else you may need to do to improve WiFi mesh performance at your house.

Also, what is the speed of your Internet link, provided by ISP?

Options
2023-11-14 15:47:24

@ldean 

One more thing. Please make screenshot of Update Deco page in Deco app and post it here. Example:

Options
2023-11-14 16:03:46
Lounge is below the Main Deco/Office. Looks like 500MbS, but it's not the speed, but the signal drops mostly.
Options
2023-11-14 16:20:41

ldean wrote

Lounge is below the Main Deco/Office. Looks like 500MbS, but it's not the speed, but the signal drops mostly.

@ldean 

Got it. Post "Update Deco" screenshot from your Deco app and I'll be able to give you recommendations.

Options
2023-11-14 17:06:50

@Alexandre. 

Options
Re:Help getting better performance from deco mesh-Solution
2023-11-14 19:53:33 - last edited 2023-11-14 22:12:15

@ldean 

First, assesment of what you have, then recommendations.

Assesment

You have Deco mesh consisting of three models of Deco: M9 Plus, M5 and P7. I will rank them the following way:

1. M9 Plus - the best of all three. It is the most powerful of all three and it is tri-band. Tri-band units shine when work together: deliver faster WiFi speeds on Satellite M9 when it is connected to Main M9. 

2. M5 - second best. Less powerful than M9 Plus, not tri-band, but good enough especially for Satellites.

3. P7 - the problematic one. By itself, P7 is a decend Deco, but it does not work in your case. Not only it has issues with powerline link at your house as I can judge from screenshots you provided, but it also has older firmware comparing to M5 and M9. That older firmware robs your Deco mesh of very useful features M9 and M5 have.

Hence,

Recommendation

You should rebuild your Deco mesh with making M9 Plus a foundation of it, M5s around M9s, and P7s removed.

Steps

1. Promote Dining Room M9 Plus to Main Deco and replace Main Deco P7 with it. Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

2. Delete all P7 from your Deco mesh. Follow "reset a Deco unit" from this document: How can I reset or reboot my Deco Whole-Home Wi-Fi System?

3. Your Lounge M9 should now be connected to your Main Deco M9 in the office. Open Lounge M9 info page in Deco app and check what it does report of connection and signal quality. Example:

Signal should be Fair or Good, all three bands (2.4 Ghz/5 GHz_1/5 GHz_2) should be listed. If you have it like that, all is good.

4. Power off Deco M5. Check WiFi coverage on both floors. It is possible you'll find it sufficient, then you are done. If not, continue.

5. Bring M5 to the dining room where M9 used to be. Power on M5. Configure it to connect to Lounge Satellite M9 Plus using Connection Preference feature you should now see in your Deco app after you removed P7s: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

If done correctly, you'll see this connection between Satellite M5 and Satellite M9 reflected in Deco app "Show Map." 

6. Check again WiFi coverage on ground floor. If it is good now, you'll need to repeat same on 1st floor: buy additional M5, place it in Bedroom, make it connect to Main M9 in Office if M5 does not do it by itself. Check WiFi coverage on 1st floor.

Final Thoughts

Don't delay with this if you will need additional M5. Looks like they are becoming End of Sale, and it would mean it'll be harder and harder to buy one.

Alternatively, you can ditch M5 you have and buy 2-unit M9 Plus set, and rebuild your Deco mesh with just four M9 Plus units following same setup as I outlined. M9 Plus are becoming End of Sale, too, so look around - you may be able to find a good deal on them. If you do, I would strongly recommend getting 2-unit set of M9 Plus instead of additional M5.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-14 22:07:26 - last edited 2023-11-14 22:12:53

@Alexandre. 

Thank you so much! This is above and beyond and I really appreciate it!

Would there any benefit in getting something in an X to replace the P7s? Like X20s? I see I can get three x20s for £159 vs £199 for two M9 pluses.

edit: actually, I see 3 M9plus for £195. I might go with that and go all m9 like you suggest.

Options
2023-11-14 22:23:52 - last edited 2023-11-14 22:24:19

@ldean 

Take three M9 Plus for £195. Having one spare if you don't need it deployed right away would not hurt. 

I would recommend against specifically Deco X20 model. TP-Link X20 are hit and miss when it comes to Connection Preference feature you must have: X20 must be of correct hardware version and correct firmware version to support that, or you'll lose it in your Deco mesh. You won't know what hardware version they are until you buy them. 

Consider extra £35 (diff between 3-unit M9 Plus vs 3-unit X20) a fee for having that necessary feature.

Tri-band delivers faster WiFi on Satellites, and it matters because with every hop you will lose 50% speed with dual band and only about 20% speed with tri-band. Of course, this is in ideal conditions.

Taking my recommendation of Deco mesh setup as an example:

1. Suppose you have all M5s, dual-band. Office Main Deco will deliver 500Mbps on WiFi. Lounge M5 will be up to 250Mbps. Dining Room M5 (connected to Lounge M5) - up to 125Mbps.

2. Now, same but all Deco are M9 Plus. Office Main Deco will deliver 500Mbps on WiFi. Lounge M5 will be up to 350-400Mbps. Dining Room M5 (connected to Lounge M5) - up to 300Mbps.

So, if you can get 3-unit M9 Plus for the price you mentioned - go for it. 

If you want an alternative, as I said, that would be an extra M5 or from X-series you should be looking at X50 or X55, these will have features you need but these are more expensive than X20s and as long as your Internet speed under gigabit will not get you anything better than M9 Plus in your specific case.

Options
2023-11-15 20:35:39

@Alexandre. Thank you again for the detailed guidance! I've ordered the m9 plus set and should get it tomorrow! Looking forward to things being less wobbly (fingers crossed)!

Options
2023-11-16 07:29:26

@Alexandre. The powerline backhaul is established and operational.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 699

Replies: 14

Related Articles