Optimal positioning of M5 units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-20 20:42:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.1

I live in a bungalow/single storey house and I have 3 M5 Deco units. Currently the two satellite units connect wirelessly to the main unit. It's always worked very well, however we've just had an extension and I want to buy a couple more M5 units and change the network topology to make use of Ethernet backhaul. Physically this'll be fairly easy to do because I can run the cables through the loft above the rooms below. My worry is that having the M5 units up in the loft, above all the devices that will connect to them might not provide the best performance. 

is it best to have the M5 units at ground level, or is it perfectly OK to put them up in the loft. I wonder what the beam pattern is - if I have the up in the loft, should I invert them upside down so their Wi-Fi signal is projected downwards into the rooms below?

any insight or experience from other people who've tried this out?

Thanks. 

olly

Options
1 Reply
Re:Optimal positioning of M5 units
2023-11-20 21:18:17 - last edited 2023-11-21 00:37:29

@FutureBoy 

Deco M5 is very good WiFi5 mesh unit. I have them and I like them. If you need more, you should not delay: they are becoming End of Sale. Order as many as you need as soon as you can.

It should be OK to put M5s in the loft. Make sure beamforming is enabled in Deco app (it is by default). No need to invert them upside down. In my 3 storey house with wooden floors/ceilings, when I am on the second floor I am getting strong signal from M5s on first and on third floors.

I have another idea for you: if you can drill holes for power and Ethernet cables through the floor of a loft, you can have M5s mounted on the ceiling of the ground level. This would be the most optimal placement, because every device on ground floor will see M5 on the ceiling with unobstructed view. Also, you can see M5 LED from the ground floor. Then, of course, M5 will be upside down but it will just look like oversized smoke detector.

To ceiling mount M5, you will need third party wall mount holders. I use the following one for one of my Deco: Koroao Wall Mount Holder Compatible with TP-Link Deco M5, TP-Link Deco P7 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, Sturdy Wall Mount Bracket.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 795

Replies: 1

Related Articles