Router restarts itself when starting VPN connection on my laptop

2023-11-20 23:52:37 - last edited 2023-11-21 00:48:49
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.9

My router restarted itself when I connected to the VPN on my laptop.

Note: I am using built-in VPN in windows 11

Options
9 Reply
Re:Router restarts itself when starting VPN connection on my laptop
2023-11-21 06:15:36

@Safty233 

Hi, you are trying to connect a remote VPN Server when connecting the laptop to AX10 router, right? is it connected via wired connection or via WiFi?

The VPN is PPTP VPN or L2TP VPN etc.? and who is the VPN Provider? Please also confirm the hardware version of your AX10, is it V1 or V1.2? 

After confirming the above information, we will run similar tests to see if the issue can be reproduced on our end.

Options
2023-11-24 04:34:32

@Sunshine 

Thanks for your swift response.

yes, I am using my company laptop and connected via WIFI to the router.

My VPN type is  "L2TP/IPSec with pre-shared key" (can also be called "L2TP with IPsec Policy")

The VPN provider is "Ironbridge Engineering (locally hosted by company) - through a draytek VIgor2926 router at address syd.ironbridge.engineering"

The hardware versions is V1.2.

Options
2023-11-24 07:52:27

@Safty233 

Hi, we would like to escalate your case to the support engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Options
2023-11-26 22:28:05

@Sunshine 

Thanks, sunshine, I didn't get any message from the support team yet.

Options
2023-11-27 03:36:50

@Safty233 

Hi, the senior engineers are available on business days only, thus didn't reply on the weekend, you could expect a reply today on Monday.

Options
2024-03-27 08:27:29 - last edited 2024-03-27 12:47:13

I have the same problem with my AX11000.

Internet connection type on router is dynamic IP. When I establish a VPN connection on my Mac (L2TP over IPSec) the router drops Wi-Fi after about two minutes. It drops Wi-Fi at all for a few seconds, disconnecting all devices connected via wi-fi. Then wi-fi is going up again. 

Firmware version: 1.3.4 Build 20230906 rel.74809(4555), hardware version: Archer AX11000 v1.0.

Wi-fi settings: OFDMA on, Smart Connect on, security: WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES].

This problem did not existed in older firmware, it seems this is a software issue.

Options
2024-03-29 03:21:20

KVentz wrote

I have the same problem with my AX11000.

Internet connection type on router is dynamic IP. When I establish a VPN connection on my Mac (L2TP over IPSec) the router drops Wi-Fi after about two minutes. It drops Wi-Fi at all for a few seconds, disconnecting all devices connected via wi-fi. Then wi-fi is going up again. 

Firmware version: 1.3.4 Build 20230906 rel.74809(4555), hardware version: Archer AX11000 v1.0.

Wi-fi settings: OFDMA on, Smart Connect on, security: WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES].

This problem did not existed in older firmware, it seems this is a software issue.

@KVentz 

Hi, in your case, the router doesn't restart, only WiFi connections disconnect on all client devices, right?

Are you still able to see the WiFi from the available wireless network list?

Will the wired connection to the router is also affected or not?

Options
3 weeks ago

@Sunshine 

Sunshine wrote

Hi, in your case, the router doesn't restart, only WiFi connections disconnect on all client devices, right?

Yes, WiFi connections disconnect on all client devices and WiFi is disappearing from the available wireless network list for a few seconds. But the router doesn't restart, only wifi.

I don't actually have wired connection to the router, so I can't check it.

Options
2 weeks ago

KVentz wrote

@Sunshine 

Sunshine wrote

Yes, WiFi connections disconnect on all client devices and WiFi is disappearing from the available wireless network list for a few seconds. But the router doesn't restart, only wifi.

I don't actually have wired connection to the router, so I can't check it.

@KVentz 

Hi, please try to disable smart connect, change the router WiFi channels, then test if the issue still happens.

If so, could you please try downgrading to the latest firmware 1.3.3 Build 20230719 for comparison?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 383

Replies: 9

Related Articles