Route IPs through different DNS servers

2023-11-27 17:33:50 - last edited 2023-11-29 07:05:24

Good afternoon.

I hope everyone is okay.

I have just installed the ER7206 as my router (two WANs, DHCP) for my home. My switch is a TL-SG116E and my WIFI modem is a Deco M5.

I'm looking for a way to make the IPs of my son's PC, cell phone and tablet be directed to a DNS server and the other IPs to another DNS server. Is this possible, considering that my son has a wired connection to his PC and WiFi on his cell phone/tablet?

I'm researching solutions, but I can't find one that suits me 100%.

I will continue researching and I appreciate any and all help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Route IPs through different DNS servers-Solution
2023-11-28 02:15:47 - last edited 2023-11-29 07:05:24

Hi @CristianoP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You should create a dedicated VLAN interface for your son. In this VLAN interface, you can specify the IP address, subnet, and DNS server for him.

However, this will work on the ER7206(working as the DHCP server) and switch(for wired connection). But it does not work on your Deco because I don't recall Deco supporting multiple VLANs or SSIDs. So, you also need an EAP for your son.

With the EAP, you can create multiple SSIDs, and you can bind this VLAN for the SSID you make for your son.

For the VLAN interface, you create it in the LAN. And add and set up a new DHCP server. There you can specify the DNS server.

For the VLAN config, you can refer to the guide: How to configure 802.1Q VLAN on TP-Link Easy Smart/Unmanaged Pro Switches

Then on the EAP, create the new SSID for you and your son. The SSID for your son should be set with the SSID VLAN ID you created on the router.

In this whole setup, the most difficult thing would be the tag and untag. So, you should follow the article above. EAP should use tagged port, while other VLAN-unaware devices should use untagged+PVID.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Route IPs through different DNS servers-Solution
2023-11-28 02:15:47 - last edited 2023-11-29 07:05:24

Hi @CristianoP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You should create a dedicated VLAN interface for your son. In this VLAN interface, you can specify the IP address, subnet, and DNS server for him.

However, this will work on the ER7206(working as the DHCP server) and switch(for wired connection). But it does not work on your Deco because I don't recall Deco supporting multiple VLANs or SSIDs. So, you also need an EAP for your son.

With the EAP, you can create multiple SSIDs, and you can bind this VLAN for the SSID you make for your son.

For the VLAN interface, you create it in the LAN. And add and set up a new DHCP server. There you can specify the DNS server.

For the VLAN config, you can refer to the guide: How to configure 802.1Q VLAN on TP-Link Easy Smart/Unmanaged Pro Switches

Then on the EAP, create the new SSID for you and your son. The SSID for your son should be set with the SSID VLAN ID you created on the router.

In this whole setup, the most difficult thing would be the tag and untag. So, you should follow the article above. EAP should use tagged port, while other VLAN-unaware devices should use untagged+PVID.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Route IPs through different DNS servers
2023-11-28 13:57:48

@Clive_A 

Thank you very much for the answer and explanation.
I'll research the solution and read the material and see how I progress.
Good week.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 155

Replies: 2

Related Articles