Can I extend existing Deco M5 mesh and gain performance?

2023-11-30 18:15:47 - last edited 2023-12-01 07:36:19
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

I wish to extend my existing 3 x Deco M5 mesh by adding one new Deco unit to reach my shed which is close to the house. I have tested the idea by repositioning the two satellite M5s (one to the nearest point in the house and one in the shed and I get a reasonable connection.   Although the existing mesh network is adequate, it is slow in some areas of house.  If I purchase a faster speed Deco unit, say Deco X20, X50 or X60, make it the Main unit and make all three existing M5s satellites will I see an overall increase in performance across the mesh to make it worthwhile shelling out for a more expensive unit.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I extend existing Deco M5 mesh and gain performance?-Solution
2023-11-30 20:47:53 - last edited 2023-12-01 07:36:19

@RagusJohn 

You can extend existing Deco M5 mesh by adding another Deco unit, but you will not gain overall mesh performance. You will have one more Deco unit, which should mean better WiFi coverage.

As for performance, any device that supports WiFi6 and connects to your new Main Deco will gain improved speeds if your Internet link is faster than 500Mbps. Any device connected to Satellite M5s will have same WiFi speeds it has currently.

If you don't have devices in close proximity to Main Deco which will benefit from using WiFi6 protocol, it would make sense to just buy another M5 (or few) in case you want better WiFi coverage in some places of your house.

In my speed tests, I have seen up to 500Mbps from Main Deco M5. Satellite M5 connected to Main will deliver half of that, about 250Mbps. Satellite connected to another Satellite will cut speed by half again, to 100-120Mbps.

If you are getting about 400-500Mbps from Main Deco but much less than 200-250Mbps from Satellites connected to Main, perhaps finding better locations for Satellites could improve overall WiFi mesh performance at your place.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Can I extend existing Deco M5 mesh and gain performance?-Solution
2023-11-30 20:47:53 - last edited 2023-12-01 07:36:19

@RagusJohn 

You can extend existing Deco M5 mesh by adding another Deco unit, but you will not gain overall mesh performance. You will have one more Deco unit, which should mean better WiFi coverage.

As for performance, any device that supports WiFi6 and connects to your new Main Deco will gain improved speeds if your Internet link is faster than 500Mbps. Any device connected to Satellite M5s will have same WiFi speeds it has currently.

If you don't have devices in close proximity to Main Deco which will benefit from using WiFi6 protocol, it would make sense to just buy another M5 (or few) in case you want better WiFi coverage in some places of your house.

In my speed tests, I have seen up to 500Mbps from Main Deco M5. Satellite M5 connected to Main will deliver half of that, about 250Mbps. Satellite connected to another Satellite will cut speed by half again, to 100-120Mbps.

If you are getting about 400-500Mbps from Main Deco but much less than 200-250Mbps from Satellites connected to Main, perhaps finding better locations for Satellites could improve overall WiFi mesh performance at your place.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I extend existing Deco M5 mesh and gain performance?
2023-12-01 14:31:34

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your helpful response - and I'll go with adding another M5 or possible two to my system to extend it.  I wasn't sure how to measure speeds.  Using a wifi signal meter app downloaded to phone I do get lower speeds generally about 250Mbps on main M5 and 120 - 180Mbps measured close to each M5. However this is adequate for our purposes as we really only stream audio.  Is there a better, (or more correct) way of measuring speed?

Once again thanks for your quick, practical and useful response.

Options
2023-12-01 15:10:27

@RagusJohn 

I am using Ookla speedtest app on smartphone. It is available in Apple, Google and Windows app stores.

Also, it is important to know what is the speed of your Internet link, provided by your ISP. Obviously, M5 can't deliver faster Internet speeds than your Internet link.

If you run "Test Internet Speed" from main screen of Deco app, what would be the result? The output will be similar to this:

Options
2023-12-01 17:22:20

Hi

As suggested I have tested my internet speed using the Deco app on my phone connected to the (close by) Main M5 which is in Access Point mode connected to my router. The results are: Download 57.1Mbps / Upload 16.1Mbps. These results are virtually identical to internet speed tests using my computer ethernet hardwired direct to the same router. These speed are compaitble with my ISP contract and adequate for most of my usage.

The Ookla speedtest app on my phone gives similar results ut also someting slower speed depending on where I am in the house. Presumably the Ookla app is measuring the internet speed seen by my phone connected via whichever M5 Deco unit it is connected to OR is it also measuring the internet speed between ISP and the router.

What confuses me is that the other Wifi signal analyser apps I have used (such as eg WifiAnbalyzer (open source) VREMSoftware) show the signal strength which appears consistent with the distance from the M5, but also show speed results between 180 - 250Mbps which clearly doesn't make sense. Am I confusing something in the results?

Thanks

@Alexandre. 

Options
2023-12-02 01:17:56 - last edited 2023-12-02 01:18:16

@RagusJohn 

Test Internet Speed in Deco app measures wired link speed from Main Deco to ISP Router to Internet. This is good test to establish if everything is fine with that link and what speeds ISP link delivers.

Ookla app will measure WiFi speed on device connected to Main or to Satellite Deco. If there are concerns with Deco mesh, the first test would be to measure speed with Ookla on device connected to Main Deco. Satellite will not deliver faster speeds than Main Deco.

I have no experience with WifiAnbalyzer, but if measuring tool gives results that do not correspond to reality, just don't use that tool. 

As for extending Deco mesh, with Internet link speeds you have it really does not make sense to spend money on WiFi6 capable Deco units. The best course of action is add more M5s.

Options
2023-12-05 17:30:21

HI @Alexandre

Once again thanks for your advice - I think I solved the mystery of the unusually high speeds reported in some of the WiFi analyser apps I used.  It appears that they may be reporting the potential maximum physical (phy) speed not the actual network speed at the client device.

Your advice is exceptional in recomending the M5 units and not just the newest, most expensive units that are available.  Shows great professional integrity which isn't always seen with some brands.  I've always used TP-Link hardware (now for many years) and your service will keep me loyal!

Best regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 384

Replies: 6

Related Articles