Is my Deco m5 network too loaded?

2023-12-05 13:40:31 - last edited 2023-12-05 13:49:09
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I am running a completely wireless Deco m5 system in router mode based on a 350mb fibre optic broadband connection to my main deco. 

The apartment is single storey, with no crazy internal or external structures that I know about - about 600 Sq ft. 

Since installing 4x new WiFi plugs that I got in the Black Friday sales, the system seems to disconnect much more frequently. While it's possible this is unrelated and a coincidence, I would like to know know if people think that ~15 devices connected (again, all wirelessly) is potentially too much load for the m5 system? 

If it could be too much load what's the next Deco system upgrade that you'd recommend? 

Thanks 

Z

Options
6 Reply
Re:Is my Deco m5 network too loaded?
2023-12-05 15:31:15

@Nkol7 

I think it is unrelated and must be a coincidence. IoT devices such as plugs are very low WiFi traffic. You also don't have very many devices connected to your Deco mesh.

What concerning is weak link between Office Deco and Main Deco. This could be the cause of disconnects, if Office Deco briefly drops connection to Main Deco. You should address that part first.

Options
2023-12-05 16:05:52

@Alexandre. 

Cheers (again) @Alexandre. 

I also noticed this and immediately took steps to remedy it.

I started by moving the "Office" Deco closer to the (main) "Living Room" Deco - where it is now in the hallway, providing it with a direct line-of-sight to the (main) "Living Room" across an approximately 5 metres distance.

Unfortunately, this had zero impact on the signal between the two devices.

That's why I started to think that it could be a load issue or hardware limitation of some sort.

Any other ideas?

Options
2023-12-05 18:16:15 - last edited 2023-12-05 18:16:53

@Nkol7 

This is a bit strange, as I also have Satellite M5 at about 4-5 meters distance from Main Deco, on a different floor (!), and with better WiFi backhaul link.

Yes, mine Satellite is also named Office and Main Deco is also Living Room. 

Let's find out if perhaps your Office Deco or Main Deco has hardware issues. I'll ask you to run few tests and reshuffle Deco units, if you want to test this theory. 

For start, open Office Deco info page in Deco app:

1. Check what is the Signal: Fair or Weak?

2. Do you see both bands (2.4GHz/5GHz) after "Connected to: Living Room" or just one? If one, which one?

If it is Weak but both bands shown, power off Office Deco, bring Main Bedroom Deco to exact spot where Office Deco is and power on Main Bedroom Deco there. It'll have to connect to Living Room Deco, and after it does, check what its Signal and bands.

In case it is also Weak, the suspect becomes Main Deco and I'll tell you what to try next after you get me results of these tests.

Options
2023-12-05 18:41:31 - last edited 2023-12-05 18:50:25

@Alexandre. 

Thanks again

Here, for reference, are the screenshots of the connections for both the "Office" (problematic) and "Bedroom" (strong signal). 

I'll now go ahead and switch the two units and report back. 

PS. The "Connection preferences" for both of them are set to "Auto", and just to clarify - the "Office" Deco is closest to the (main) "Living room" Deco evidently via 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz , whereas the "Bedroom" Deco is connected to the "Office" Deco via 2.4Ghz 

Keep you posted. 

Options
2023-12-05 18:55:25

@Alexandre. 

Just to be sure, did you mean for me to physically switch the (satellite) "Office" Deco with the (main) "Living Room" Deco, or switch the two satellites (the 3rd one being the "Bedroom" Deco)? 

For further reference, I've attached a visualisation of my setup. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
2023-12-05 20:48:09

@Nkol7 

What I wanted you to do is the following:

1. Power off Office Deco.

2. Power off Bedroom Deco and take it to the spot where Office Deco is.

3. Power on Bedroom Deco. Office Deco mush still be off.

4. Make screenshot of Bedroom Deco info page and share it here. 

After that, you can undo changes: power on Office Deco, take Bedroom Deco to where its permanent place is and power it on there. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 190

Replies: 6

Related Articles