Unstable WiFi no matter what

2023-12-07 18:23:12 - last edited 2023-12-11 18:58:12
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.4

I have a wifi camera system that worked flawlessly. I upgraded to a deco mesh network last year and have tried everything to get them workiing correctly and I'm about to give up. They are unable to stay connected for longer than an hour at best.

My setup is Modem -> main deco -> switch -> three hardwired decos. 

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks. 

• Tried three different camera companies with the same results
  • Tried putting the cameras on the main network, guest network, and the IoT network.
  • I have tried every combo of enabling\disabling mesh, fast roaming, and beamforming
  • I have setup 'connection prefernce' for each device to force it to connect to certain decos
  • Tried using only 2.4ghz
  • Factory reset the whole system multiple times
  • Every camera shows "Strong" as a network connection
  • My one seven year old netgear wifi router keeps all cameras connected better then four decos
  • I tried to only have one deco plugged in with one camera sitting next to it and it can't keep a stable connection without disconnecting eventually. 
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unstable WiFi no matter what-Solution
2023-12-11 18:56:06 - last edited 2023-12-12 00:06:42

I see there still isn't a response from TP-Link...That is very disappointing. 

I spent another day testing new cables, trying different modes and settings. There has to be something wrong with these. They seem very underpowered. They can't keep stable and get overloaded very easily. The fact is my one router that is over seven years old performs better than four of these. I give up. I'm not even confident enough in these to give them away. They are going into the bin unfortunately. These were a $300 mistake. Back to the drawing board. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Unstable WiFi no matter what
2023-12-07 18:28:26

I wanted to add that there are no other wifi networks within range of my network. Literally zero interferance with a wifi tester. 

Options
2023-12-08 02:04:27 - last edited 2023-12-08 16:46:51

I spent the entire day troubleshooting and testing different configurations. I ended up going back to my old router for network configuration and switching the Decos into AP mode. This allowed the WiFi to be more stable and allow the cameras to stay connected. I'm still testing but so far so good. Will report back if anything changes. 

Options
2023-12-08 16:46:28 - last edited 2023-12-11 18:58:03

Nevermind, it's still not working correctly.  The connection becomes unstable overtime. About once every few hours I have to restart the deco network and it works fine but slowly starts to degrade. The amount of effort I have put into these to get a basic stable wifi connection has reached a threshold and I'm going to just give them away and go with a different solution. 

Options
2023-12-08 17:14:43

@DecoUser23 I just "upgraded" from Google Nests to the Deco XE75 a couple days ago and am having the exact same issues.  It's not just my cameras; there are a number of other devices that can't connect or are intermittent, including thermostats and a power monitor.  I've create the IoT network with only 2.4GHz and WPA2 security and that hasn't resolved it.  I suspect it has something to do with the security setup but I can't find anything in the documentation or online.  It's a shame because the coverage and speed we're getting on our phones and computers is a huge improvement, but other wireless devices not so much.  I'm not quite ready to return this because it's too painful to think about setting up the old system again, so hopefully someone has some other ideas.

Options
2023-12-08 20:03:43

@Hardebeck you might consider trying AP mode with an alternative router solution. It definitely made mine stable for longer but with the full network up it's still unstable. 

Options
2023-12-08 20:08:08

@DecoUser23 I don't want to go the mix and match route, having lived with that in the past. If I can't get this to work soon, I'll be returning them and I'll try another manufacturer.  Would be a shame but if TP-Link won't support this, I'd rather find out while I'm still in the return window.

Options
Re:Unstable WiFi no matter what-Solution
2023-12-11 18:56:06 - last edited 2023-12-12 00:06:42

I see there still isn't a response from TP-Link...That is very disappointing. 

I spent another day testing new cables, trying different modes and settings. There has to be something wrong with these. They seem very underpowered. They can't keep stable and get overloaded very easily. The fact is my one router that is over seven years old performs better than four of these. I give up. I'm not even confident enough in these to give them away. They are going into the bin unfortunately. These were a $300 mistake. Back to the drawing board. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 344

Replies: 7

Related Articles