Omada Software Controller - serial number of devices is missing

2023-12-09 11:26:38 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:53:55

Hi,

I'm currently installing our new access points (EAP650 & EAP670) which are used together with Omada_SDN_Controller_v5.13.22_Linux_x64 (on Debian Linux 12).

All is running fine so far. Now I wanted to register (among other information) the the serial numbers of the first installed devices, especially as some of the devices are already mounted and we also have a number of remote locations quite far away.

I thought I could get the S/N in the device overview of the controller (I activated the respective column) and/or in the export list which I can create in "Settings" -> "Export Data". But in both cases the "Serial Number" column is empty. All other information (IP address, model, uptime etc.) is available.

Does anybody know if this is a bug in the Omada Controller? Or did I overlook something?

Luckily I took a photo of each device so I can assing the device S/N manually with the aid of the photos. But this should be possible with tools like the controller and it's export data functionality, especially as this special value is already selectable but "only" an empty field currently, I would say. ;-)

Thank you very much for any feedback and best regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada Software Controller - serial number of devices is missing-Solution
2023-12-18 03:03:08 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:53:55

Hi @u880

The serial number of devices is queried from the Cloud via Mac address after the device goes online on the controller, it is not reported directly by the device to the controller. So the Cloud Access enable is necessary.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Omada Software Controller - serial number of devices is missing
2023-12-12 08:36:51

@u880 

So strange, the SN is normally showing on my windows 5.13.22, maybe a reboot can fix it? I use Microsoft Edge to open it, you may try with different browsers.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-12-13 18:38:40

No serial numbers on my Omada_SDN_Controller_v5.13.22_Linux_x64 on Ubuntu, either.

Kris K
Options
2023-12-13 20:22:17

@u880 My eap670 is not adopted (running in standalone mode).  No serial number in the webui either.  Tried poking around the file system in ssh, no joy there either.

Options
2023-12-13 20:30:56

I have EAP660 HD and EAP655-Wall.

Kris K
Options
2023-12-14 08:11:11

Hi All,

We have tested it on the Linux Controller v5.13.22, the Serial Number is shown and the Export feature is functional. Please check whether you enabled the Cloud Access, this issue may occur if you didn't enable it.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-12-16 16:35:12

Thank you all very much for your feedback. :-)

@Hank21
Thanks for your effort and testing it with the Linux Controller v5.13.22.

Indeed: until now I didn't enable Cloud Access. And to be honest: I don't want it and more important: in my environment it's not allowed that a system like the Omada controller is accessible from external systems, it's strictly forbidden according our policies. One of the main reasons for selecting TP-Link/Omada controller against other vendors is that I can run the controller locally, on my own servers (and in this case even on a Linux machine, preferably Debian, I'm happy :-)) - no need/force to use cloud services - a perfect base for my Wi-Fi management.

So may I ask: is cloud access really necessary to read this particular information from an EAP? That would be a pity.

And by the way I couldn't see any technical reason for it. All other information of the devices are readable, why not the serial number?

It would be nice if you could clarify if reading this (admittedly) special information is really only after activating cloud access - as you wrote "this issue may occur".

And if this would be the case (hopefully not): are there other features of the Omada software controller that only work when the cloud access is enabled? Again: hopefully not ...

Thanks and best regards

Options
Re:Omada Software Controller - serial number of devices is missing-Solution
2023-12-18 03:03:08 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:53:55

Hi @u880

The serial number of devices is queried from the Cloud via Mac address after the device goes online on the controller, it is not reported directly by the device to the controller. So the Cloud Access enable is necessary.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-12-18 06:53:49

Hi  @Hank21 

ah, that explains it of course. OK, so no malfunction of controller and/or the EAPs - it works as designed, good to know.

Thank you very much! :-)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 596

Replies: 8

Related Articles