Time issues

Time issues

Time issues
Time issues
2023-12-16 10:47:20
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build 20190809 Rel. 54285

Hello. I am using DECO for years and it works great. I have a MacBook ik rarely use, but when I used it here the time and date were off by 1,5 month and a few hours. I thought it was an issue with the MacBook so I left it there. Recently my wife bought a MacBook... and she has exactly the same issue. While troubleshooting we connected to the home router instead of deco, and suddenly the time is right! We tried the Apple Store WiFi and the issue isn't there anymore when we try it there. It seems that as soon as a MacBook here is connected to DECO, the time and date is mixed up. According to the settings of the MacBook it should get time and date from the server, but it looks like deco is manipulating this data. I have  tried updating deco, doings resets, but the issue remains. We haven't found a solution. Is there a way to check the time and date of the deco units?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Time issues
2023-12-16 16:38:08

@Angstzaaier 

You can check time settings on Main Deco. Open its IP address in a browser, login with same password you have for Deco app, navigate in the Main Deco Web page to system settings. Example:

Options
2023-12-16 22:01:35

@Alexandre. 

This is what I thought, but I can't get into the web interface. Are there other ways to access the webpage? I only can get the deco app to work so I was hoping to fit it there. I have tried the ip address of the deco, and I get the server doesn't respond. I also tried http://tplinkdeco.net but the same response from browser. I normally use deco in access point mode, and even tried to change to router mode to get more options, but the web interface doesn't seem to be there at all.

Options
2023-12-16 22:15:25 - last edited 2023-12-16 22:41:50

@Angstzaaier 

I, too, have M9 Plus in my Deco mesh. It is my Main Deco. I shared screenshot from M9 Plus with you. I run Deco mesh in AP mode.

I may have an idea why you can't access M9 Plus Web interface. Your M9 Plus firmware version is very old. It is so old it comes without Web interface. It is also too old to be updated from Deco app. Please follow this document to update your M9 Plus firmware, use Method 3: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

You will only need to do that update with the tool once successfully. After you've updated M9 Plus to at least firmware 1.4, Deco app will gain ability to update M9 Plus and you will get access to M9 Plus Web interface through its IP address.

This old firmware is what may explain issues you see with your Deco mesh.

Options
2023-12-18 11:44:56

@Angstzaaier 

I have now updated the firmware and finally have been able to access the web interface. It turns out it only seems to work via firefox. But the issue I had at first is still there. I have now updated firmware and checked time settings which are correct, but as soon as i connect any macbook to the deco network, the time and date are off by 2 months (oct 12, while date today is dec 18th). Even when i use pool.ntp or the standard apple setting for time, somehow if its connected to the deco network it is showing wrong time and date. while connected with any other networks or directly from the network router the time is correct, but as soon as i connect to tp link deco m9 it is incorrect. is there a setting somewhere which manipulates the data?

Options
2023-12-18 12:51:31 - last edited 2023-12-18 13:03:32

@Angstzaaier 

Just to note, I can access M9 Plus Web interface using Microsoft Edge on Windows.

You have quite unusual issue. I don't work for TP-Link, but if I did, that would be my line of thought if I saw this escalated to me: 

If this is a bug in Deco, it continues for 3-4 years between Deco firmware 1.2 and 1.6. Yet, there are no escalations in regard to that problem from other people in about last 3 years I've been here. If it were such a glaring bug with Deco mesh, more than one person should have noticed it.

I can't tell what is wrong with your Deco mesh and overall setup. I could suggest you try these steps:

1. After connecting Macbook and it switching to wrong date/time, check in Main Deco Web interface it still has correct Continent/Ocean, Region, and Current Time;

2. In Main Deco Web interface change Region to incorrect, off by few hours from where you are, see if it changes anything on Macbook. You can restore Deco time settings to correct after that test;

3. As you do have network router, configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. Whatever Deco settings impacting NTP might have impacted Macbook, they should go away with Deco mesh in AP mode. See Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 297

Replies: 5

Related Articles