Deco M4 low wifi speed when getting away from main Deco

2023-12-19 12:44:48 - last edited 2023-12-19 12:48:09
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.5.8

Hi,
I recently bought M4 mesh system. I have a fiber internet connection at 500 Mbps up&down. I have a black box that has a fiber cable plugged-in and an ethernet cable plugged-out to the Internet Box (Proximus in Belgium). I tried to plug in the ethernet cable directly to the Deco itself (from fiber box to deco). Unforunately, I could not managed to connect to the internet with this method. Afterwards, I connected my Deco to the Internet box (which is connected to fiber box by an ethernet cable in WAN port) via ethernet cable and now it works.

When I am close to the main Deco speed is 400 Mbps, perfect. However, when I get away from the main Deco and get close to the slave Deco in downstairs, speed goes down to 100-120 mbps.

I tried switching to AP mode as well as setting the slave Deco downstairs as main Deco (which is I'm close to) and no chance. I also tried enabling/disabling Fast roaming, beam forming, NAT forwarding etc. (did not reboot the modem in the meanwhile though) Qos is set to 500 mpbs for up&down. 

Any idea or solution for this?

Internet if full of speed problems but in my case I actually have very good speed in close range to main Deco. My main problem is low speed near the slave Deco.

I bought this product because internet speed was too low in downstairs that speed was very low. Now, I have a nice signal but the speed is still low :(

Regards.

Edit: I always make the speed test while connected to 5 GHz band.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M4 low wifi speed when getting away from main Deco
2023-12-19 13:48:59 - last edited 2023-12-19 13:49:35

@Ufuck 

The maximum WiFi speed you could get from Satellite M4 will be half of WiFi speed you are getting from Main Deco. This is under ideal conditions, with proper placement of Satellite(s). If conditions are less than ideal, such as WiFi interference from other WiFi networks and household appliances, speeds will be even less.

This is not Deco defect, this is limitation of WiFi technology. In WiFi mesh, Satellite unit is advanced WiFi range extender. More functionality, but underlying performance is the same. Google "Why do WiFi range extenders cut bandwidth by half" and you'll see plenty of info on that topic.

Which means, in an ideal situation you should be getting close to 200Mbps from Satellite M4, but not more. If you are getting less, you should check placement of Satellite unit and if it has good WiFi backhaul link to Main Deco. This can be found in info page for Satellite Deco in Deco app, example:

If yours show Weak signal, it means Satellite M4 is too far from Main Deco.

In general, with WiFi mesh of any brand, you trade WiFi speed for signal quality.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 172

Replies: 1

Related Articles