EE Router

EE Router

EE Router
EE Router
2023-12-22 16:36:18 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:57:16

Hello

I am after some advice please.

I have an EE white smart hub which hasn't got the best range and im looking for a good replacement.

I purchased an Archer C64 but after much research i have read that the EE hub is a router and modem and the Archer is a router only.

I'm i best to buy a modem to go with the Archer or another combined.

Also i am just wifi only so i dont connect to the phone line.

Im not on fibre if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I have zero technical knowledge on speeds of thimgs etc so please be gentle.

Thanks in advance

Paul 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EE Router-Solution
2023-12-31 13:02:59 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:57:16

@Bogle 

Hi 

I finally got round to your advice and now seem to have a lot better internet.

I turned of the 2.4 and 5 on my EE router and connected the TP router by lead from the EE box and it now has a better range and also on a speed test its now giving twice better figures on upload and download.

Cant thank the people that helped me enough.

Thanks

Paul

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:EE Router
2023-12-23 00:35:30 - last edited 2023-12-23 00:42:27

@kircal 

Hi

3 ways you can do this 

If you have fibre to the home you should be able to plug a ethernet from the ONT to your new router and set it up and do away with the ee router 

Or the second way is down below 

not touched a ee router in years but I'm sure some where in the router settings you might be able turn off. 

i would suggest if you can by logging into the ee router and  turning off the dhcp this should help with not getting a double nat and turn off  wifi bands. 2.4 and 5ghz  as you won't be using them plus you'll free up some air space for your new router wifi bands. 

I would then connect your new router by ethernet cat 5e or cat6  to your ee router Lan port (generally yellow) to the WAN port (blue) on your new router,

Generally I don't think it should matter what LAN port you use on your ee router but if your new router can't connect to the Internet when setting it up try another lan port just incase. 

Leave your old ee router plugged in and turned on  and if possible Tuck it away out of sight just to try and keep things as neat and tidy as possible plus you won't technically be needing it for passwords ect anymore unless you want to keep using same wifi name and password on new router to save putting on all your devices  again as this will make your devices join your new router without having to search for it on your devices and rejoining the new router. 

if not you can create a whole new wifi name and password that suits you when you set up your new router  you'll just have to search on your wireless devices for new name and  re enter the new wifi  password on your devices

Setting up your new router should be a doddle even for a beginner. Please bare in mind you will be asked to create a admin name and password this is different to your wifi name amd password. 

This is so you can log into your new router to check things or change settings. This is important so try to set something up you will remember or you may have to factory reset your new router amd go through set up all over again if you forget your admin login amd password. 

And if your not happy or you think something has gone terribly wrong on the ee router there will be a factory reset switch normally a tiny pin hole you'll need like a sewing needle size. You need to insert something like that into the hole and push the button inside and keep holding it until you see the ee router reboot (normally about 10 seconds continuos)  

This will put the ee router back into factory settings as you had them before turning off the dchp and wifi bands. 

Just make sure your new router is factory reset and disconnected from the ee router before resetting the ee router as can cause both routers to throw their toys out their prams as they can conflict with each other. 

Last way to do it is similar to second way but can be the  easiest. 

You can log into your ee router and turn off only  your wifi bands not your dhcp. 

Connect your c64 to your ee router via ethernet cable same as above do a quick basic setup as above keep same name and password or create a new one. 

Once done the setup you can go through the c64 menu and turn on a feature called Access Point ( AP Mode) 

This will basically allow you to connect your devices to the new router through hopefully a better stronger wifi signal and coverage  but it won't route all the devices it will leave that job down to the ee router. 

Im Not very good a explaining things written down I'm more a hands on person, so I tend to over think/complicate things when I try to explain things written down with out realising it and it can come across like I'm patronising amd belittling someone when I'm really not. 

Don't worry about asking questions we was all a beginner at one stage or another. 

If your ever unsure there will be someone here that will normally be able to guide you on your way. 

Be it one of the admin or one of the community. 

I'm sure someone else may chime in and correct me if I'm wrong or maybe be able to explain a different way. 

Options
2023-12-24 06:43:10

@Basboi85 Thanks for that, i will give it a try later

Cheers 

Options
2023-12-24 14:02:52 - last edited 2023-12-24 14:04:20

Ensure you can get connected with a TPL router with your ISP, if they use Vlan ID 0 (zero) it won't connect without an intervention at their end.

As for models, basic AX20 now AX23 are the start point but I'd say start at an AX55 pro and above, the AX73 & AX75 are good models & the AX75 will future proof you a bit.

Options
2023-12-24 15:21:45

@Bogle 

Hi sorry to be a pain but if i got the AX55 pro notice it has a built in router does that mean i don't have to use my EE router or alter any settings and would i not have to bother talking to EE to alter at their end and in past conversations with them they haven't been helpful?

Cheers 

Options
2023-12-24 15:57:20 - last edited 2023-12-24 16:00:51

It sounds like you are in this config -> ONT -> EE Router -> AX55 potentially?

Going that way will work but the AX55 will be in AP mode or Router mode as it can work both ways, when I ran like this I had it in Router mode behind the ISP router with the ISP WiFi disabled and the AX model doing the WiFi, AP mode is easiest but you lose a few functions that Router mode still allows use of (don't ask I can't remember exactly which right now) you should avoid a double NAT as well but it didn't slow mine at all running a double NAT so individual choice basically.

Your first missions should be if you get the AX55 are to see if it will set up ok using the wizard on the router, do this by disconnecting the EE router completely connect and replace the EE completely with the AX55 and open the AX55 router settings (wait for it to be fully booted, normally 3 minutes), select the set up wizard & wait 5 minutes, if it's not found a connection by then it won't, the next step is to see what settings EE use for Vlan ID & if they aren't 0 (zero) put these settings into the AX settings in IPTV settings, have a look through the sections as it might be configurable in the other tabs. If they use o (zero) then you're either stuck using both routers or some kind staff at EE will adjust at their end.

This all assumes you are using a fibre package that is supplied FTTP through an ONT on your wall & not a phone line RJ11 connection to the router (not possible anyway as the 55 doesn't have an 11 port on it).

You can avoid all this if you select another brand of router that does Vlan 0 (zero), however it will be twice the price at least & if the form book still applies needing FW updates every month to keep it secure (ish) I can't say which brands will work on here but one is a well known brand the other not so much so & even more to buy than the other. I assume you are UK based so if you want the AX55 pro get in quick at the "major" electronics chain as it's on offer right now at about £85 iirc, also they have a good returns policy if you feel you need to return it but do it asap as you know it won't connect & don't want 2 routers running at the same time & keep the packaging as near to factory as you can, i.e don't rip sealed things, run a blade through the seals and open without destruction.

One positive for running the two together if EE won't play ball is the AX55 will do WPA3, the EE probably doesn't have it nor things like AP isolation, key renewal, OFDMA-MuMimo & a whole lot more so choose wisely grasshopper ;-).

Options
2023-12-24 16:08:44 - last edited 2023-12-24 16:25:44

I found this

https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/getting-started/using-and-configuring-a-third-party-router

Looking at this they don't use an ONT & you're still using a copper line to the house from the street terminal box, you need to check fully as it looks like you are on a VDSL fibre package rather than a digital FTTP one in which case you'll need a VR2100 or similar with a built in modem, easy way to tell is do you have a box in your house about the size of 20 cigs with 4 led's on it or a while phone socket? if it's a phone socket the AX series will only work as an slave to the EE router (still a better idea tbh & your AX will move with you when you get a digital line later).

The thing with the VR2100 is it's getting on, doesn't have WPA3 but it does do PPPoe so suitable & has good DDOS & Firewall settings along with better log file functions, it's also got other good functions not found on the AX's as well, so if you are planning to leave EE for a FTTP deal get an AX but be aware you'll lose your phone line as there's no digital phone port on these routers, the ISP one will have one but then you're back to a bland uncontrollable router again so if the landline isn't important get an AX.

Summary is either a VR or AX model will work as an AP at least tacked onto the EE, the VR will totally replace the EE but the AX won't, you may be able to run either unit as a tacked on router but turn off the Wifi on the EE unit, I would grab the AX55 pro & slave it to the EE for now. The VR second hand would be a good option but you run the risk that it's been tampered with so I can't recommend second hand even if you reset and reflash it. hth.

Options
2023-12-24 16:32:43

@Bogle 

Thanks for the replies, im not on a fibre package and don't have a wire from the phone socket to the EE router as far as i am aware its just an EE wi-fi connection, if that makes sense or some kind of wierd magic.

Truly grateful for the help on here.

Cheers Paul 

Options
2023-12-24 16:51:16 - last edited 2023-12-24 17:24:34

Ahh,

Then it's two options.

1 - Simply tag the new router to the EE router & use the better settings on the new router, this depends on the model, I found 3, two have lan ports one doesn't and is basically a white box with a power socket only.

2 - Get a modem/router that has provision for a sim card, TPL do them but I can't remember the exact models assuming your EE uses a sim which looking at it it doesn't or has one you can't access anyway.

I'd simply hook an AX55 pro up to the existing EE router in your case if it was me, check you have lan ports on the EE so you can tag into it & disable the wifi on the EE.

Having read back to your original post Paul (skimming through always a bad idea) the VR's won't be any use to you, an AX model will work & improve wifi strength & give you more control over your wifi, as long as you have the lan ports on the EE you're good to go with any AX router in the range, the AX55 Pro is good value right now if you can get one, you may need to order it & collect it in a day as they don't keep much stock these days.

When you get it, take an RJ45 cable from the back of the EE to the back of the AX55, enter the set up page for the AX55 and add your wifi settings, turn off the junk like WPS & UPnP. You may need to set the 192.168.1.1 to another setting like 192.168.1.2 (pick your own numbers 192.168.xxx.xx but stay out of the client pool *connected devices* so if they are starting at 192.168.1.100 make sure you don't go above 192.168.1.99 as both can't be on the same set of numbers & it should start pumping the wifi out across the house. Enter the EE router settings and turn off the wifi, this will only shut the wifi off on the EE and allow the AX55 to take care of that, there are many settings in the AX55 you might not be familiar with, download the manual from the support page & most things you'll need will be explained in there, if they aren't simply copy the function description & google it and it'll tell you whether it's a good or bad idea to enable or disable, if you get hassle with it try setting it up in AP mode rather than router mode.

Options
Re:EE Router-Solution
2023-12-31 13:02:59 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:57:16

@Bogle 

Hi 

I finally got round to your advice and now seem to have a lot better internet.

I turned of the 2.4 and 5 on my EE router and connected the TP router by lead from the EE box and it now has a better range and also on a speed test its now giving twice better figures on upload and download.

Cant thank the people that helped me enough.

Thanks

Paul

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-12-31 13:21:26

@kircal 

Glad suggested way works, 

Glad to see that you've noticed the difference in signal quality. 

Goes to show you how terrible isp routers actually are. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1209

Replies: 11

Related Articles