Deco x75-pros with existing router

Deco x75-pros with existing router

21 Reply
Re:Deco x75-pros with existing router
2023-12-31 16:14:01

@Alexandre. 

Ex network engineer here.

I think I'm more qualified than most to give real information about issues I have had with a product that clearly has lots of ongoing problems.

I absolutely love my AX11000. Great router from TP-Link. Even included a Trendmicro antivirus site scanner on it! Now though, tp link make you pay £34.99 PER YEAR on the Deco XE75 for the same feature :)

I still have to use my AX11000 now as the DCHP server because I A: refuse to pay £34.99 per year and B: The Deco Xe75 can't achieve more than 10-20mbps over a nord vpn UDP connection when the settings that were copied verbatim from the AX11000 achieve circa 275mbps on that router.

Thanks for your concern regarding my description of the product issues in a negative way but it isn't without technical, backed up and  informed merit cheeky

TP-LINK. WE NEED ETHERNET BACKHAUL ON ONEMESH OR RSSI OR EASYMESH INCORPORATED INTO CONSUMER PRODUCTS NOW!!
Options
2023-12-31 16:17:10 - last edited 2023-12-31 16:20:21

ZakCT wrote

I'm no more than 5ft away from the closest mesh node yet I'm connected to one about 30ft away and I have been for the last hour.

@ZakCT 

Let me make this into generic problem description.

There is mobile device that does see every WiFi mesh node, with that node WiFi signal level. At any time mobile device can decide to connect to nearby WiFi mesh node with stronger signal, yet it is connected to one far away and is unwilling to roam.

With that problem description, it appears the cause is the following: mobile device may have incorrect roaming aggressiveness level and/or incorrect roaming threshold set up.

Would you agree with that? Because, if you do, the question about why is that should be raised on mobile device support forum. That may also explain why TP-Link is unable to help with that. Ultimately, decision when and where to roam on WiFi mesh belongs to mobile device. 

Options
2023-12-31 16:27:26

@Alexandre. Oh I would absolutely agree with that statement if I couldn't back up what I am saying as fact and if it didn't apply to every single damn device on the wireless in the entire house.

I didn't have this issue before on my network with two RE700X'S as wired access points and an AX11000 as the main router, the problem has only arisen after the installation of the Deco xe75 pros! Two sets of them!

I even re-installed my old network equipemtnent again to make sure I wasn't going insane and guess what... problem solved.

Also screenshot was taken on a device on which it is possible to alter the minimum RSSI and other useful settings.  If you know how, it is possible to enable connectivity labs on samsung s23 ultras to give access to technical adjustments.

The Decos are at fault Alexandre. They are very badly executed consumer level mesh nodes that have terrible software and or hardware issues unless I've just been seriously unlucky with two sets of bad ones.

TP-LINK. WE NEED ETHERNET BACKHAUL ON ONEMESH OR RSSI OR EASYMESH INCORPORATED INTO CONSUMER PRODUCTS NOW!!
Options
2023-12-31 16:41:19 - last edited 2023-12-31 17:09:31

@ZakCT 

RE700X is WiFi6, AX1000 is WiFi6 as far as I can tell from Google search. You are experiencing issues with WiFi6E, as Network Engineer you must know the difference.

Now, if you agree with problem description I provided, what is your technical conclusion why your Samsung is unwilling to roam to nearest WiFi node? Saying "WiFi mesh is at fault when device is unwilling to roam" is not good enough for IT person. Sorry, have to be harsh on you, as you did waive your credentials.

I went to Amazon, customer feedback for XE75 Pro is 4.4 out of 5, for 10,000 comments. Not bad. The first comment that appears on that list: 

"I had previously used TP-Link Deco X20's and they worked very well. I've since moved in to a 3 story townhouse with a basement, so I needed more coverage. I was glad to find that I could use these X75's alongside my X20's. So I have one pod on each floor, and it covers every square inch of my home, as well as the garage, backyard, and front driveway. Excellent coverage with solid speeds even outside.

I'm using these pods with wired backhaul. I even attached a 5 port switch, and it works beautifully, providing wired connections as needed, along with fantastic WiFi coverage and stability.

While these are probably not the most customizable mesh wifi pods out there, there are lots of options, and all the standard things are there. They keep it pretty simple, and that's a good thing. They work extremely well right out of the box. What more do you need?"

Until OP tries, he would not know what his personal experience will be. Also, in regard to VPN speed: I agree this is TP-Link issue, but it is irrelevant for current conversation. You may have noticed I recommended Access Point mode for OP's Deco mesh, VPN issues will be irrelevant under that mode. This is an example of bringing issues not relevant to conversation, simply because they impact your WiFi mesh setup and you are upset about them. 

Options
2023-12-31 16:46:31

@ZakCT two more things to add:

They have a really annoying 6ghz band broadcast even when they are using ethernet backhaul that it is impossible to turn off!

Why?! It's just extra unnecessary interference for the sake of it. The software should disable this ssid when the ethernet backhaul link betweenn nodes has been established or atleast give the option!

And secondly all settings for the xe75 pro need to be changed on the app. You can't do it on a pc because there is no proper Web UI.

So every time a setting is changed that alters anything to do with the wireless its pot luck if it gets applied or not as the client gets kicked off before confirmation so you need to go back and check and about 5-25% of the time it doesn't work.

I am so bitter about buying these incase you can't already tell. I only purchased them out of sheer frustration over the ruthlessly slow implementation of easymesh firmware updates which may or may not include ethernet backhaul (especially with tp-links lucky dip ethernet backhaul selection process for routers)  and even now I'm worse off than I was before I spent my money on them.

The AX11000 was supposed to be tp links best offering for a consumer grade router not that long ago yet the 5 times cheaper ax55 gets the easymesh updates before the customers who spend the most money with TP-Link with no confirmed dates or any real information if any device scheduled to get the easymesh update will ever even receive it.

It is shocking after sales support to be honest.

Options
2023-12-31 17:01:25

@Alexandre. When you assume you make an a**-out-of-u-and-me.

This samsung s23 ultra is the only device on the network that uses WiFi 6e and as someone who thinks they know everything, you shouldn't have assumed as an ex network engineer that I hadn't already troubleshooted this issue without testing every wireless band, even on the s23 ultra and across all devices. For your information it exists in every wifi band and on all wifi devices which if you had read my previous post properly you would have seen that I said th3 issues exist on all wifi devices.

Secondly if the issue with the vpn is a known tp link issue this product has been out for a LONG TIME! The vpn client feature is almost unusable for high quality streaming services or multiple IoT devices for example. It's a massively expensive joke which I could almost laugh at if I didn't feel ripped off.

Positive reviews aside, most consumers with a low technical ability or understanding will not be able to tell what these products are doing wrong. Even with the furthest away mesh node, the wifi is still working! Albeit slowly... but that's all tp link care about it seems. Pull the wool over the consumers eyes because all they care about is the consumer not dropping the connection. They don't care if any of the other features advertised work or not becsuse most people won't use them.

The app is also a joke and so many other things that's why the latest firmware has been released...

Options
2023-12-31 21:26:38 - last edited 2023-12-31 21:33:34

CharlesM99 wrote

Thanks for any help you can provide!

@CharlesM99 

I think you've got more than bargained for. smiley

I suggest you try these X75 Pro. You said you have experience with Deco mesh and Deco app already, so it would not be a challenge for you to setup new Deco mesh with XE75s. Issues discussed here, such as mobile device roaming between WiFi nodes and such, you will notice them right away if they are present in your environment. Should not take more than few days to establish if XE75s work for you or not, as long as you configured them according to my recommendations. 

You don't even have to replace switch until you decide if you want to keep XE75s. 

If you find XE75 performance or stability not satisfactory, pack them and send back to seller. I am assuming (hope) that you've got them from the retailer with return policy. This is my advice to everyone who asks me what networking gear to buy: whatever you choose, get it from the place with simple and easy return policy. Whatever works for me might not work for you, and luckily for almost any type of networking gear and especially for WiFi mesh there is more than one brand on the market.

If you have found XE75s not to your liking and you sent them back, but you want to give another chance to Deco brand, consider Deco X55. They have latest features in firmware, and I don't see many complains about them. X55 is WiFi6 and has gigabit Ethernet ports, but as it were correctly mentioned gigabit is usually more than enough for clients on home network. With 10gig switch and all Decos connected to the switch like in network diagram I provided, you can still utilize (most of) your 10gigabit Internet link. 

I will appreciate if you share your feedback from using XE75s, good or bad. 

Options
2024-01-01 11:46:47

@CharlesM99 

Yeah, there is more discussion here than I anticipated!

But I think for now I will set the XE75 Pro's up and see how they work. Hopefully the room mates don't hate me if they don't!

Since I am currently limited to 1Gb ethernet anyways, I think I will set them up with a primary Deco (setup as a router) that will go to the switch and then the other two Deco's (set as access points), since that seems to be the recommended setup by Tp Link. I'll then put the Zyxel in bridge mode.

I also ordered a BE85 so I would have it on hand in case there are issues. I believe that my Zyxel router is part of the problem with my current reliability issues, so I wanted the option to replace everything. In this case I am hoping that my SFP+ transceiver will work with the BE85. But I'll try to configure the system will just the XE75 Pro's first and see how it works. 

Options
2024-01-04 14:08:44

@CharlesM99 

Just an update here. I went ahead and installed the BE85 and the three XE75 Pros. 

I was able to use my current SFP+ transceiver with the BE85, so this way I was able to completely get rid of all my old networking equipment. Well except a switch that I still needs. 

Two of the XE75 Pros are connected directly to the BE85 2.5 GbE ports, and the third connects wirelessly. 

So far everything is going well, I've gotten 1.4 Gbps download speeds on the 6GHz network off of XE75 pro, and around 1 Gbps on the 5GHz network. 

One issue is that my Home assistant isnt working but I'll dig in to that later. 

Another issue is that the 6GHz network is a separate SSID, but when I change it so there is only one SSID for the 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6GHz network then my phone doesn't connect to the 6GHz network. That might be a setting with my phone though, not sure. 

Options
2024-01-04 15:18:35

@CharlesM99 

Thanks for update. Yes, with XE75 6GHz band runs on a separate SSID. I am not sure what caused TP-Link to go with that, perhaps they couldn't manage to implement band steering from 2.4GHz/5GHz to 6GHz and back by the time they released XE75, or perhaps something else.

If you have good 6GHz coverage everywhere, it would make sense to have 6GHz on separate SSID and make smartphone that supports 6GHz band Forget Deco 2.4GHz/5GHz SSID.

Options
Related Articles