Deco X50: device wired to one Deco is not accessible from other Deco

2024-01-01 12:58:30
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Dear all,

I have two Deco X50 here, one of them is connected via a LAN cable to the provider's 5G modem (running in bridge mode) and the second one is connected to the first one via mesh.

Additionally I have a Raspberry Pi connected via a LAN cable to the first Deco and Docker is running on this device. I have several LAN IP addresses bound to this Raspi because I need different addresses for different services (PiHole, HomeAssistant, MariaDB, WireGuard, Samba, ...). All the IP addresses are configured statically on the Raspi itself (192.168.1.21 to 192.168.1.25).

Problem: I can reach all the services on the Raspi only if I am connected to the first Deco (the one, to which the Raspi is connected). If I try to access any of the services from a computer connected to the second Deco (the one with mesh), the service is not reachable.

Of course I have set up port forwarding in the Deco app. Unnecessarily I am forced to enter a MAC address for each forwarded port to be able to save. In the background the app adds an address reservation for the IP/MAC combination, which is in my case useless, because the IP address is statically set on the Raspi. By the way: as I do have the same MAC address (from the Raspi's LAN adapter) for all the IP addresses 192.168.1.21 - 192.168.1.25, I deleted the automatically added address reservation from the Deco configuration.

I did all the usual stuff (rebooting, clearing browser cache, different browser, notebook or mobile, ...).

Does anyone of you have an idea, which configuration error I have been made?

Some bonus questions: :-)

(1) In the port forwarding setup, I can add a single port or a port range (xxx-yyy), which is forwarded to the target IP address. Can I also add several non-continuous port numbers like "80,443"? A comma does not work ...

(2) Is there any way to reach the complete configuration via a standard browser on a PC? The 192.168.1.1 site only shows some basic information but offers no way to do configuration. It is quite painful to add all the MAC addresses into the app from the mobile.

Thank you and all the best for 2024,

Chris

PS: I am a bit baffled about the hardware version which I had to enter above. According to the dropdown list there seems to be v1 to v7, on the Deco's type label the only number that looks like a hardware version says "1.2". Is this possible for devices bought one week ago from my LTE provider in Austria?

Options
14 Reply
Re:Deco X50: device wired to one Deco is not accessible from other Deco
2024-01-01 13:59:55

@cgaertner 

How was your network configured before you deployed Deco mesh on it? Specifically provider's modem (bridge/router), Raspberry Pi, to where Raspberry Pi were connected.

Options
2024-01-01 14:10:44

cgaertner wrote

PS: I am a bit baffled about the hardware version which I had to enter above. According to the dropdown list there seems to be v1 to v7, on the Deco's type label the only number that looks like a hardware version says "1.2". Is this possible for devices bought one week ago from my LTE provider in Austria?

@cgaertner 

Hardware version 1.2 seem correct for X50 and it is (usually) the same as 1.0, but reserved for Deco hardware you get from ISP. You can enter 1.0 if there is no option for 1.2. Hardware version is less important than firmware version on this forum - it is firmware version that defines available features, so when you are asking about feature set of Deco you have correct firmware version is a must.

Open Update Deco page in Deco app and you'll see firmware version here. Login to Main Deco Web interface and you'll see hardware and firmware versions there, example:

In this example M9 Plus has hardware version 2.0, M5 has hardware version 3.0.

Options
2024-01-01 14:43:01

@Alexandre.

Thank you for explaining the hardware version question. I double checked and the configuration page says that both Decos indeed are hardware version 1.2 and firmware version 1.1.0 Build 20230522 Rel. 68968.

Options
2024-01-01 14:46:38

@Alexandre.

Before that, I only had a TP-Link TL-MR6400 router with a LTE simcard. It had the same port forwarding settings. The Raspi was connected to the old router exactly the same way (LAN cable) and nothing has been changed on the Raspi and Docker configuration.

As the internet connection was terrible slow, I bought a ZTE MC889 5G wireless router from my ISP and the Decos were included with this package.

Greetings, Christian

Options
2024-01-01 15:05:23

@cgaertner 

TP-Link Deco does not like devices with static IP address configured on them. Even one static IP address per MAC - and you won't see that device in Deco mesh list of connected devices. That usually works, but device gets invisible. I suspect IP aliasing makes Deco confused even more. 

Mind you, Deco mesh targets home users. They don't usually use advanced (and uncommon) networking features. 

The option I would think of that may work is to connect Raspberry Pi via a LAN cable directly to ISP Router (which should of course run in router, not bridge, mode). Then, have Deco mesh configured in Access Point mode: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/334

With that setup it will be the ISP Router that manages Raspberry Pi and rest of network, Deco will provide WiFi coverage only. 

It seems ZTE MC889 5G has just one Ethernet port, which means you may need switch attached to it, Main Deco and Raspberry Pi connected to switch. It is also possible that with Deco in AP mode you won't need the switch, try connecting Raspberry Pi to Main Deco running in AP mode connected to  ZTE MC889 5G and see if it works.

>Is there any way to reach the complete configuration via a standard browser on a PC? 

No, Deco app is a must for Deco mesh.

Options
2024-01-01 16:32:31

@Alexandre.

Thank you for your answer and your suggestions. I tried to find a manual of the ZTE MC889 online, which turned out to be unexpected difficult. There are tons of manuals describing how to wall-mount the device and so on but no manual about the configuration options itself. Finally I stumbled about a Youtube video where I saw some of the configuration options of this device set to router mode. Unfortunately it seems as if the configuration options regarding port forwarding are too simple for my use case (e.g. no option to have different external and internal ports when forwarding ports; no option to set a user defined DNS server in the DHCP configuration which I need for PiHole).

So there remain (maybe) four options:

(1) Buy another mesh system with more advanced configuration features (e.g. Deco PX50??). Do you - as you seem to be a pro - have any suggestions which TP-Link product is not targeted at home users but for people with my requirements?

(2) Do you think inserting a simple mini switch (like TP-Link TL-SG105) and connecting the ISP router, the Raspi and the first Deco will solve the problem? In this case, the Raspi would not be connected to the Deco directly (if this confuses the Deco). I doubt this will work, because the port forwarding will still to have been done on the Deco ...

(3) Insert a wireless router between the ZTE router and the Deco (e.g. something like TP-Link Archer C80)? In this case the Deco should work like a repeater - but I just read in the FAQs that this is not possible. And even more, it is recommended "When Deco works with an existing router, it is suggested to turn off the router's Wi-Fi network and use Deco's Wi-Fi network instead to minimize the wireless interference.". So does TP-Link offer mesh system that only works as repeaters?

(4) Like option 3 but deactivate the wireless function on the non-Deco router and use it only as DHCP server and port forwarding agent. The WLAN then will be created by the Deco (in AP mode, I suppose?). Is there any TP-Link router without wireless function which can do DHCP and port forwarding? Or of course I just switch off the WLAN. I suppose in this case I can take any 2.4 + 5 GHz TP-Link router?

Thank you!

Greetings,

Christian

Options
2024-01-01 16:39:52

@Alexandre.

PS: I have a TL-WR841N router in my toolbox, which I have used earlier. Since it has only 2.4 GHz it is no longer used at the moment. But without using it's WLAN functionality it might perfectly serve as router for option (4). I know that it has suitable configuration options for DHCP and port forwarding. I only have to remember how to access it when connected between the ZTE 5G modem and the first Deco ...

Options
2024-01-01 17:04:59 - last edited 2024-01-01 17:07:20

@cgaertner 

I'll answer on what I can.

>(1) Buy another mesh system with more advanced configuration features (e.g. Deco PX50??). 

Don't bother. Different models of Deco mesh may offer different options, but not one by itself will allow you to do what you want to do. 

>(2) Do you think inserting a simple mini switch (like TP-Link TL-SG105) and connecting the ISP router, the Raspi and the first Deco will solve the problem? In this case, the Raspi would not be connected to the Deco directly (if this confuses the Deco). I doubt this will work, because the port forwarding will still to have been done on the Deco ...

If you still need to do port forwarding on Deco, that won't work.

>(3) Insert a wireless router between the ZTE router and the Deco (e.g. something like TP-Link Archer C80)?

This is the most feasible option. Keep running ZTE MC889 5G in bridge mode. Attach router to it. Connect Raspberry to router and configure router to your liking. Disable router WiFi. Connect Main Deco to router. Run Deco mesh in Access Point mode.

Your router will be default gateway for Deco mesh, so I have high confidence that will work.

>(4) Like option 3 but deactivate the wireless function on the non-Deco router and use it only as DHCP server and port forwarding agent. The WLAN then will be created by the Deco (in AP mode, I suppose?). 

You can't create WLAN in Deco mesh running in Access Point mode. Option 3 is your best bet.

>PS: I have a TL-WR841N router in my toolbox, which I have used earlier. Since it has only 2.4 GHz it is no longer used at the moment. 

Could work, but only if you can configure that router to your liking.

Think about it that way, conceptually: you do not have Deco mesh, you have (Wi-Fi disabled) wired only router connected to ZTE MC889 5G, you need to configure router for Raspberry Pi. If you can do that and everything works on wired network, then you add Deco mesh in AP mode, it provides WiFi signal and that's it. You do not configure Deco in any way or form to specifically support Raspberry Pi.

This is the only way it could work.

Options
2024-01-01 17:21:04

@Alexandre.

Thank you again for your detailed answer. I will give option (3) a try. Before I do so, there is just one thing that confuses me. For option (3) you write:

(a) Keep running ZTE MC889 5G in bridge mode.

(b) Attach router to it.

(c) Connect Raspberry to router and configure router to your liking.

(d) Disable router WiFi.

(e) Connect Main Deco to router.

(f) Run Deco mesh in Access Point mode.

As a comment to the (non-recommended) option (4) you write: "You can't create WLAN in Deco mesh running in Access Point mode.". So which device does actually create my WiFi? The MC889 is in bridge mode, the router's WiFi is turned off (see step d), so the only device that could create the WiFi is the Deco????

Greetings, Christian

Options
2024-01-01 17:28:24

@cgaertner 

Yes, Deco mesh will provide WiFi. Think about Deco mesh as an attachment to wired only router and that attachment will be used to provide WiFi signal.

Options