Omada controller offers suspicious firmware update for TL-SG3428X

2024-01-04 04:07:22 - last edited 2024-01-08 07:40:19
Model: TL-SG3428X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.12 Build 20230602 Rel.76586

My v5.13.22 software controller is suggesting a firmware update v1.30.0 for my TL-SG3428X(UN) Ver:1.26 switch.

Opening the release notes in the controller, note 3 says: "For SG3428X(UN) V1.30 and V1.32." Looking on the support pages for the TL-SG3428X, I find no mention anywhere of this firmware version.

Is this a legitimate firmware for this switch, or is it a bug that the controller is offering it?

I find tp-link version numbering quite confusing.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada controller offers suspicious firmware update for TL-SG3428X-Solution
2024-01-08 07:40:14 - last edited 2024-01-08 07:40:19

Hi @seacycle 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

seacycle wrote

My v5.13.22 software controller is suggesting a firmware update v1.30.0 for my TL-SG3428X(UN) Ver:1.26 switch.

Opening the release notes in the controller, note 3 says: "For SG3428X(UN) V1.30 and V1.32." Looking on the support pages for the TL-SG3428X, I find no mention anywhere of this firmware version.

Is this a legitimate firmware for this switch, or is it a bug that the controller is offering it?

So, the announcement arrived during the weekends.

Announcements JetStream Series Upgraded to Omada Series

This might explain your confusion.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada controller offers suspicious firmware update for TL-SG3428X
2024-01-05 00:12:13 - last edited 2024-01-05 00:13:05

I'm also seeing some suspicious firmware updates offered for my TL-SG3428 and TL-SG2008 switches. (I'm using the mbentley dockerised version of the software controller).

Both firmware descriptions mention "Modify the product name to Omada series and remove "TL-" from the product model number, the firmware of the old and new devices can be upgraded with each other."

However, I've not been able to find any mention of these updates on this forum and they do not show up as firmware downloads on the TP-Link device support pages either making me very suspicious too. I would also like to know if these updates are genuine or not.

Options
2024-01-05 02:03:56 - last edited 2024-01-05 06:59:11

Hi @seacycle 

1. If you find the naming is confusing, you can let me know if there is another brand offering a naming guide on their technical support site. I will feedback accordingly. AFAIK, I don't see any brands proactively explaining their naming format. Such a thing would be available in internal training.

2. The whole website will be renovated and Omada will change its name to make it look shorter.

TL- means nothing useful in this context. It is TP-Link.

So if you search, just look for the model number after the dash.

3. Found this firmware on the global site: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/sg3428x/#Firmware

Update:

What's the hardware version on your label? Take a picture. The controller does not reflect the hardware version accurately.

About the hardware version, I gotta confirm because there seems to be a new change in that.

Update:

So, there will be a change in the hardware recently. I was not copied in the conversation. This was a PM decision and they decided to change that.

Don't panic. And wait for the future release note. The team will update and notify this in the release note.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-05 17:22:29
@Clive_A — the TL-SG3428X(UN) Ver:1.26 is from the physical label on the switch. Since I don't appear to be affected by any of the bugs the 1.30.0 firmware release notes enumerate, I'll just pass on the update for now.
Options
Re:Omada controller offers suspicious firmware update for TL-SG3428X-Solution
2024-01-08 07:40:14 - last edited 2024-01-08 07:40:19

Hi @seacycle 

seacycle wrote

So, the announcement arrived during the weekends.

Announcements JetStream Series Upgraded to Omada Series

This might explain your confusion.

Recommended Solution
Options