Internet speed from Deco lower than speeed going into it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-04 10:24:09 - last edited 2024-01-05 07:46:29

Hi, when running a Speedtest on my iPhone when connected to my Deco I am getting download speeds of approx 50mbps, however, if I run a Speedtest through the deco app it tells me the incoming speed to the main deco is 250 mbps. Also, if I connect directly on my iPhone to my ISP provider modem (this so what is connected to the main deco, the speed is also 250 mbps. Could anyone help to explain why my deco network is running at a fifth of the speed it should be? Am I missing something. Obvious? Sorry I am not the most IT savvy.

thanks

Lee

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Internet speed from Deco lower than speeed going into it-Solution
2024-01-04 21:25:09 - last edited 2024-01-05 07:46:29

@Lee_G 

This is what I needed to see, thanks.

You have WiFi6 capable X20s with up to date firmware. They should be able to deliver faster speeds than you see.

Please run the following test when you have time:

1. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. This will remove all configuration settings from Deco mesh that are responsible for throttling speed. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/334

2. Have Deco Main Network configured with 5GHz band only, to make sure iPhone gets the fastest WiFi connection all the time:

3. Power off all Satellite Deco, to make sure iPhone is connected to Main Deco.

4. Stay at the distance of not more than 1-2 meters (3-6 feet) from Main Deco and run speed tests.

After you run this test, you can power on Satellite Decos and undo these changes.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Internet speed from Deco lower than speeed going into it
2024-01-04 12:55:48

@Lee_G 

What Deco model(s) are in your Deco mesh? It will help if you can make screenshot of Update Deco page in Deco app and post it here. Example of that page:

Options
2024-01-04 21:17:36

I have attached a photo. Hopefully this is what you needed?  @Alexandre. 

File:
IMG_0082.pngDownload
Options
Re:Internet speed from Deco lower than speeed going into it-Solution
2024-01-04 21:25:09 - last edited 2024-01-05 07:46:29

@Lee_G 

This is what I needed to see, thanks.

You have WiFi6 capable X20s with up to date firmware. They should be able to deliver faster speeds than you see.

Please run the following test when you have time:

1. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. This will remove all configuration settings from Deco mesh that are responsible for throttling speed. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/kb/detail/334

2. Have Deco Main Network configured with 5GHz band only, to make sure iPhone gets the fastest WiFi connection all the time:

3. Power off all Satellite Deco, to make sure iPhone is connected to Main Deco.

4. Stay at the distance of not more than 1-2 meters (3-6 feet) from Main Deco and run speed tests.

After you run this test, you can power on Satellite Decos and undo these changes.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-04 21:56:24

That worked perfectly. Thank you for you help.  @Alexandre. 

Options
2024-01-12 01:48:50

@Alexandre. Hi, I just realised that I left the system in AP mode and did not unwind the changes. I have gone through the process again, tested in AP mode next to the main deco and got speeds of 260. I then went back in router mode and same problem. Speed limited to 50. Any thoughts?

thanks 

Lee

Options
2024-01-12 12:57:57

@Lee_G 

That means you may have settings available under Deco Router mode that limit speed. Start with QoS parameter, also if you set priority devices - remove them all. Look at anything else in Deco app settings related to content filtering and bandwidth throttling that might impact speed of connection. 

Options
2024-01-12 23:44:31

@Alexandre. Thank you. I have checked QoS settings and the bandwidth was limited to 50. I have changed this and now getting full speeds. Thanks for all your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2892

Replies: 7

Related Articles