SG2005P-PD where to enable POE injector mode?

2024-01-08 19:54:38 - last edited 2024-02-10 02:32:13

Okay, I'm stumped.  I can usually fumble through the settings to find what I need, but can't seem to find where/how to make the new 5 port switch utilize injector mode (I am used to the Unifi Flex settings) so that I can use the full POE power through this switch.  I am using an Airfiber 50v 60w injector as I have a lot of these that I use for the Unifi Flex switches.  Right now the SG2005P-PD is only allowing very minimal POE power like it is not detecting that I am using a POE++ injector.  How do I force it recognize the POE injector?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:SG2005P-PD where to enable POE injector mode?-Solution
2024-01-30 02:08:21 - last edited 2024-02-10 02:32:20

Hi @RSCW 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

RSCW wrote

@Clive_A 

So I ordered a different BT POE injector try.  This one to be exact: BT POE Injector

The Omada software shows the switch now has 19w budget, but still not allowing full available POE from the BT injector.  I still think there is firmware or software issue.  FYI, the poe led (port 5) on the SG2005P-PD still only lights up amber/yellow, not green showing/allowing BT connection.  

For reference, the same 3 POE 60w injectors that I have now tried, all work perfectly on the similar Unifi Flex switch as well as a generic BT powered 5 port switch.  For the Unifi Flex switch, POE Injector mode has to be enabled in the Unifi software.  I still think this is missing in the Omada controller.

Curious when you guys tested the SG2005P-PD switch powering via the SG3206HPP did you get the full BT power budget automatically?  Did port 5 led show green (BT source)?

Can you take a look at this? Try our own PoE++ injector.

We never guarantee anything from a different brand but pretty sure would work with ours. Same thing as my previous reply, we work with the IEEE 802.3 bt and require https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1003/ Mode A. If the issues persist on our own PoE injector, that would be very important.

Yet we now think this might still be a problem with either the cable or the injector. We cannot run the tests on all the PoE injectors out there. The logistics for the UBNT injectors are ongoing. But will get them from the foreign warehouse.

We cannot say there is a problem with the firmware yet until we have our hands on the UBNT injectors and test.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:SG2005P-PD where to enable POE injector mode?-Solution
2024-02-10 02:31:56 - last edited 2024-02-10 02:32:13

Hi @RSCW 

RSCW wrote

@Clive_A 

So I ordered the TP-Link one that you suggested.  That one works as intended, so I am glad that there is a partial solution for now.  I am hoping that you guys will still look in to why this switch will not work with any of the other injectors that I have tried.  The other POE++ injectors I have tried, work with 3 other brand of BT powered POE switches with no problems, so I don't see why they shouldn't work with the SG2005P-PD with a firmware tweak.  The Ubiquiti 60w and 80w injectors are quite common and very well built, and have a much smaller footprint than that TP-Link one, that one is HUGE, almost the same size as the switch!

Thank you

This was discussed before the timeline you replied to this. The team has came to a conclusion that there is a problem with the other brands' injectors.

We concluded to that the UBNT adapter is using 48V to negotiate the power. Due to this non-standard 802.3, the device will enter the safe mode to keep it at the minimum of 802.3 af power. That's the reason why it keeps at 15W.

This is not a problem with our product as we follow the strictly IEEE 802.3 PoE power negotiation handshake.

So far, we don't consider this as an issue instead of a problem resulting from the PoE injector you used. Our team so far has not considered a fix in the firmware until we have a further reports and market research.

At least so far we have done nothing incorrect or substandard.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
21 Reply
Re:SG2005P-PD where to enable POE injector mode?
2024-01-09 02:04:00

Hi @RSCW 

It does not work if you plug the PoE++ in its 5 port?

If you have other POE devices connected to the switch while maintaining the PoE++ on the #5 IN, will they get power stably?

I think that might be dynamic tuning. It would not also draw 60W power from your PoE++ and only doing that when other PoE ports are used.

Options
2024-01-09 02:31:59

@Clive_A 

It powers on with the injector.  The switch will only power one POE device as it "thinks" the POE budget is maxed out.  

I also noticed that it doesn't matter whether or not I plug in a POE++ injector or powering from an Omada POE switch, I still get the same 4.00W POE warning.  How does the SG2005P switch know how/when to allow the proper POE budget? Is there a setting in Omada that toggles POE injector mode or is it supposed to be automatic?  With Ubiquiti Unifi equipment, there is a spot to "toggle" POE injector mode in the controller settings.

Options
2024-01-10 01:02:50

@Clive_A 

Any updates to this?  Is this a bug, or do I have faulty equipment?

Options
2024-01-10 03:17:00
It seems like no matter how I power this device (802.3at, 802.3af,802.3bt) they all only allow a POE budget of 6.0 watts and shows the red POE Warning in the controller. It would be nice to know what's going on here before I send them all back.
Options
2024-01-10 07:08:42

Hi @RSCW 

RSCW wrote

It seems like no matter how I power this device (802.3at, 802.3af,802.3bt) they all only allow a POE budget of 6.0 watts and shows the red POE Warning in the controller. It would be nice to know what's going on here before I send them all back.

It looks like a visual bug for the controller. I have feedback on this and yet have not received a reply. This is a new model where it might not be optimized well. Recently, we have many more new models arriving. It might take some time to make them adapt well to the controller.

If you don't run into any issues with the use, you can keep it and wait for the future firmware update to fix this.

Options
2024-01-11 02:24:19

@Clive_A 

Hopefully it's a firmware issue and not a hardware issue.  I understand this is a brand new item, but would have thought there would have been more testing before releasing.  I did confirm with a second identical switch, and have tried different POE input methods, with all the same result.  The switch will not power more than one POE device.  If I plug a second device (poe camera), the switch does not provide power to that second device, unless I unplug the first device (another POE camera), then the second device will power on.  Please keep me updated on a fix, as these were going to be for my next large project, which I will have to put on hold, or order the Unifi (Flex) equipment instead.  

Options
2024-01-11 06:06:11

Hi @RSCW 

RSCW wrote

@Clive_A 

Hopefully it's a firmware issue and not a hardware issue.  I understand this is a brand new item, but would have thought there would have been more testing before releasing.  I did confirm with a second identical switch, and have tried different POE input methods, with all the same result.  The switch will not power more than one POE device.  If I plug a second device (poe camera), the switch does not provide power to that second device, unless I unplug the first device (another POE camera), then the second device will power on.  Please keep me updated on a fix, as these were going to be for my next large project, which I will have to put on hold, or order the Unifi (Flex) equipment instead.  

What's the Omada switch you tried?

Based on the email conversation with the dev and test team, we tested SG3206HPP with SG2005P-PD, and the 2005P-PD can successfully sync to 802.3 bt and give power to other devices.

So, we assume it is still a problem with the cable leading to a bad sync in PoE.

Need the following information:

1. Use show power inline to collect the real power budget. CLI.

2. Swap with a different cable.

3. No matter what kind of adapter you tried, even with the Omada switch which supports PoE+, it always shows the PoE Max light?

4. Controller version. The model number of the PSE you have tried.

Options
2024-01-19 19:44:26

@Clive_A 

Did some more testing this week.  After factory resetting this SG2005P-PD switch and readopting, it functioned normally when powered by an Omada TL-SG2210P POE switch (not a BT).  It shows proper POE budget.  However it will still not provide a proper POE budget when powered by the POE++ injectors.  I've tried a Ubiquiti 50v 60w injector, and a Ubiquiti 54v 80w injector.  The SG2005P-PD always shows "max" POE light.  I know it is not an issue with my cable or POE injectors, because if I simply unplug the SG2005P-PD and plug in a Unifi Flex switch (same type of switch) it powers perfectly and allows full POE budget to all 4 ports.  I even tried a similar "dumb" switch with the same proper results.  Hopefully there's a fix soon, as my "return" window is closing soon.  

Options
2024-01-22 02:05:59

Hi @RSCW 

RSCW wrote

@Clive_A 

Did some more testing this week.  After factory resetting this SG2005P-PD switch and readopting, it functioned normally when powered by an Omada TL-SG2210P POE switch (not a BT).  It shows proper POE budget.  However it will still not provide a proper POE budget when powered by the POE++ injectors.  I've tried a Ubiquiti 50v 60w injector, and a Ubiquiti 54v 80w injector.  The SG2005P-PD always shows "max" POE light.  I know it is not an issue with my cable or POE injectors, because if I simply unplug the SG2005P-PD and plug in a Unifi Flex switch (same type of switch) it powers perfectly and allows full POE budget to all 4 ports.  I even tried a similar "dumb" switch with the same proper results.  Hopefully there's a fix soon, as my "return" window is closing soon.  

If you say so, it might be a compatibility issue. I'll report this to the dev and see how they respond to this.

Options
2024-01-22 03:53:46 - last edited 2024-01-25 02:24:26

Hi @RSCW 

Here's the followup.

So our dev thinks that might be an issue with the UNBT injectors. Our SG2005P-PD only supports standard PoE while the the injectors you used seems to be not standard IEEE 802.11bt. To prevent damage to the SG2005P-PD, it does not allow the power.

The dev team said they'll purchase two of these for further analysis.

If you don't want to wait for the results and miss your return window, you might decide to return. Till we get a final result of this, you can keep your money at least.

Update in Jan 24th:

In addition, the reason why it shows you have 6-7W left in the budget is because the non-standard PoE works in a similar way as the IEEE 802.3af, so it only provides around 15W max. After deducting the power consumption of the switch(SG2005P-PD), it left with that amount of power. So that's why is shows up like that and you cannot have other devices connected to draw power from it.

So, if you need to use this model, please make sure your PoE injector is giving standard IEEE 802.3bt which can work with our switch correctly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1095

Replies: 21

Related Articles