Deco E4 Speed on wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco E4 Speed on wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco E4 Speed on wifi
Deco E4 Speed on wifi
2024-01-21 19:34:28
Tags: #Wifi speed
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.4 Build 20211101 rel. 75384

Hello everyone 

I bought 2 years ago a set of 4 DECOs E4 devices.

It is written in the technical description that the max theoretical Speed on wifi is 1167mbps.

I was on a 100mbps ISP speed so I never had chance to test the max speed on wifi.

Few days ago my ISP upgraded the speed to 1gbps.

Nevertheless, DECOs remain on around 90mbps.

If I connect Ethernet cable directly to the router (not to main DECO) speed is around 800mpbs.

Is there any settings to do in order to have on deco wifi higher speed?

I don't expect 800mbps but I am stuck ok 90mbps, 10 times lower!

Thanks in advance!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco E4 Speed on wifi
2024-01-21 20:34:37

@19_pc_85 

If you check Deco E4 specs for Ethernet ports under Hardware section, you will find that its Ethernet ports are 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet), not gigabit. This is what limits your speed test results and connection to Internet.

Ignore theoretical maximum speeds, from Deco WiFi5 you should expect speeds not faster than 600Mbps - as long as Main Deco has gigabit Ethernet ports.

You have two options if you want faster than 100Mbps speeds:

1. Replace all E4 with WiFi6 capable Deco models or different WiFi mesh brand. WiFi6 capable mesh should deliver speeds close to gigabit on Main unit, about half of that on Satellites;

or

2. Buy single Deco unit with gigabit Ethernet ports, add it to your Deco mesh, make it Main Deco. This will unlock faster WiFi speeds, up to 600Mbps on Main Deco and about half of that on Satellite Deco wirelessly connected to Main Deco. If you have hardwired Satellite Deco using Ethernet backhaul, its speed will remain limited to just under 100Mbps.

Options
2024-01-21 20:41:09

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your answer!

Can you suggest a deco model which is suitable for the purpose?

Is M4 wife capable for example?

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-21 20:51:31 - last edited 2024-01-21 20:54:05

@19_pc_85 

Yes, M4 will be the best fit. It is practically same specs as E4, but with gigabit Ethernet ports. 

Get single M4 and promote it to Main Deco: How to Set up the Satellite Deco or a new Deco to be the Main Deco

Also, after you've done that, check value of QoS parameter and increase it to 1000/1000: How to set up QoS on the Deco

This parameter could throttle Internet link speeds if set too low. Right now it is irrelevant because your Main Deco Internet speed is limited by hardware.

Options
2024-01-23 17:44:47
Hi and thanks for your answer. I just bought 3 decos M4. Now speed seems really higher, but still having problem. Deco M4 is connected directly to modem with a CAT6 Ethernet cable. Then i connect my laptop to the remaining DECO ethernet port. I expect the maximum performances.. Should it be equivalent to connect the laptop to a gigabit ethernet switch? Instead I have a speedt test of around 250mbps, while, if I connect directly to the modem, i get more than 700mbps. Is there any setting to do? Thanks!
Options
2024-01-23 20:33:57 - last edited 2024-01-23 20:34:24

@19_pc_85 

You said your ISP provided you with the router. With Deco mesh, there are multiple parameters which could imact speed, both wired and wireless. Instead of trying to figure which one is the culprit, the easiest would be to just disable all of them.

You can do that by switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode Try that and see if you are now getting better speeds.

Note that this can only work if you have ISP router/gateway, not just ISP modem. 

If you decided you don't want to keep Deco mesh in Access Point mode, after testing speeds you can easily change Deco mesh back to its default Router mode.

Options
2024-01-24 09:00:38

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your answer! 

Now it really much better: now PC --> eth --> MAIN DECO --> eth cat6 --> ISP router speed test is around 720mbps in download.

Mobile --> wifi to Main deco is instead 478mpbs.

Much closer to the max ISP allowable speed of 1gbps, but still lower than direct connection to the ISP router, in this case i can reach 920mbps.

Also, upload speed which is, in both cases, around 180mpbs in all the configurations, while maximum ISP speed is 300mbps.

I disabled all QoS settings in the ISP router.

Do you think that the double step pc/deco/router could cut 200mbps in download?

Thanks for your valuable support!

Options
2024-01-24 12:56:45 - last edited 2024-01-24 12:57:29

@19_pc_85 

When you run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, it does not do anything to Internet traffic. 

Run multiple speed tests back to back, you may see an improvement as Deco will be allocating more CPU cycles when it has consistent heavy traffic. One speed test might not be enough. 

Also, for the purpose of WiFi speed testing, disable 2.4GHz on Main Network and repeat speed tests. If you have devices in your house that must connect on 2.4GHz, you can enable 2.4GHz back after you've completed speed testing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 671

Replies: 7

Tags

Wifi speed
Related Articles