Solid red light on base unit

2024-02-01 12:02:32 - last edited 2024-04-04 11:45:29
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Suddenly, last night, had this dreaded solid Red light on the base unit. Internet was fine - checked with old router.

Tried a few things but ended up having to reset the unit and setup from scratch! This was a bit painful.

Is there a way I can save the settings or is there a way to get out of the solid red light?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Solid red light on base unit-Solution
2024-04-04 09:35:04 - last edited 2024-04-04 11:45:33

@wizzard1 if the Deco can't connect to the app then I can't see a way you would be able to reset it remotely. I would suggest a smart plug as a workaround but the lack of internet would probably prevent that from working too.

I suspect that your problem will be due to an internet outage from your ISP causing problems with the Deco and its auto-WAN port sensing. Once your ISP modem/router reconnects your Deco probably isn't picking up the new connection for some reason. You would probably need to send the logs to Deco support to figure it out but you can only access them via the web interface so you'd need to hardwire a laptop/computer to the main Deco to extract them.

XE75 V1.0 3-pack / Wired backhaul / Router mode / UK
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-04 10:27:11 - last edited 2024-04-04 11:45:29

@wizzard1 you'll need to open a browser and go to the IP address for your router, usually 192.168.68.1 for TP-Link products but if not you can open a cmd window in Windows and type "ipconfig" and press enter. Look for the Default Gateway and type that into your browser:

Then you just need to sign in with your TP-Link account details and go to Advanced > System > System Logs and export a copy from there. The problem however is that the logs are wiped with every reboot so you'll need to export a copy after the next failure.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Solid red light on base unit
2024-02-01 13:14:06

@wizzard1 there's an option to make a different Deco unit the mian unit, that would allow you to keep the settings the same and swap your units around. Bit of a pain but it worked for me when I had to RMA my 3-pack of XE75s. Just click the 3 dots on your network map and you should see the option there.

Options
2024-02-01 13:42:12

@Wrayman 

I should have made it clearer - the base unit lost connection and the other 2 stopped functioning as well, so transfer would not be possible.

Options
2024-02-01 13:49:44

@wizzard1 I see, so when you say it's not functioning you're saying you can't see it in the Deco app at all or it just won't let you set up a new main unit?

Either way, when I had a red light on my main unit the only way I could get it to start working again was to connect the ethernet cable from my modem into a different port on the main Deco. Not sure why it worked but it did, that could potentially save some hassle if you get the red light again and enable you to set a new main unit if necessary.

Options
2024-02-01 13:58:30

@Wrayman 

Cannot see it in the app.

Next time, I will try swapping the port as you suggest - I hope that time does not come! 

Options
2024-04-04 08:11:51

@Wrayman 

Red light again (twice) last nightangry. Only way was to switch the main Deco off / on. Why does this happen?

Also, if I am away, can this be reset remotely please?

Options
2024-04-04 09:35:04 - last edited 2024-04-04 11:45:33

@wizzard1 if the Deco can't connect to the app then I can't see a way you would be able to reset it remotely. I would suggest a smart plug as a workaround but the lack of internet would probably prevent that from working too.

I suspect that your problem will be due to an internet outage from your ISP causing problems with the Deco and its auto-WAN port sensing. Once your ISP modem/router reconnects your Deco probably isn't picking up the new connection for some reason. You would probably need to send the logs to Deco support to figure it out but you can only access them via the web interface so you'd need to hardwire a laptop/computer to the main Deco to extract them.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-04 10:08:48

@Wrayman  Many thanks

Have my PC connected to the Deco via ethernet. How do I get the logs please?

Options
2024-04-04 10:27:11 - last edited 2024-04-04 11:45:29

@wizzard1 you'll need to open a browser and go to the IP address for your router, usually 192.168.68.1 for TP-Link products but if not you can open a cmd window in Windows and type "ipconfig" and press enter. Look for the Default Gateway and type that into your browser:

Then you just need to sign in with your TP-Link account details and go to Advanced > System > System Logs and export a copy from there. The problem however is that the logs are wiped with every reboot so you'll need to export a copy after the next failure.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-04-04 11:46:18

@Wrayman 

Many thanks. Really helpful

Options
2024-04-04 11:50:42

@wizzard1 no worries, hope you get it sorted! yes