X60 not a real mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

X60 not a real mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
X60 not a real mesh
X60 not a real mesh
2024-02-03 16:29:40
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Got a number of these, all are in AP mode and 3 are connected via an ethernet back haul.

1.  Why does it need an internet connection to work ?  they are in AP mode so they are not internet devices, they are an internal wireless network and should not need internet access for me to use or even manage the system.

2.  All units connect to the main deco - why is that ?  Why I power the main unit down and the network crashes - odd as 2 of the other units are wired in so there is access to the gateway.

3.  Only time I have seen a Deco talk to another Deco without going back to the main unit was when I tried to change the main unit for an experiment, decided that it was giving me more problems and reverted back.  Seems one of the units was a little slow to recongise the change of the Main unit and stayed connected to the old unit. 

I have a working network and it is responsive due to the number of units I have installed, and read reviews that said "it is a mesh" blah blah blah.  A true mesh, take any unit out, devices find each other and will use whatever route to keep you operational - especially where multiple units are connected to the main network and can see the gateway. 

I had someone doing some work under a cupboard where the "main" unit resides.  I said "no problems, power everything in the cupboard down to do what you need, its all fine"  to my surprise things were not happy.  most of the devices were down and I left it to see what happened thinking it may take its time, and you know what, it didn't.

Not sure what this is called, not a mesh, its not necesarily WDS either.  I would have stuck with my DD-WRT routers which do a full mesh and you can take any of the devices off and you will switch to any other.  The problem with DD-WRT is that they cannot do ethernet backhaul and have to reserve either 2.4 or 5 for the backhaul - not so good.

Options
1 Reply
Re:X60 not a real mesh
2024-02-03 21:32:15

@poyntzj 

I run my Deco mesh in AP mode. I have three Deco units hardwired. Here is simplified network diagram of what I have:

There is also Satellite Deco on WiFi backhaul, not on that diagram. It connects to Main Deco.

When I power off Main Deco, here is what happens with my Deco mesh:

1. LED on all units switches to Red.

2. Not immediately, but after brief period, one of hardwired Satellite Deco takes role of Main Deco. I know that, because:

3. There is still WiFi coverage and Internet access through remaining Deco units, even with LED on all Deco units staying Red;

4. Devices connected to Main Deco reconnect to Satellites and stay connected to Internet;

5. Satellite Deco on WiFi backhaul connects to one of hardwired Deco units;

6. When I open Deco app, it opens with page saying Main Deco is down and recommendation to promote one of remaining running Deco to Main Deco.

I stopped my test at that point, not promoting Satellite to Main Deco, and powered back on Main Deco. After brief period of time, LED on Deco units switches to Green. In Deco app, I see Deco mesh reported as healthy.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 257

Replies: 1

Related Articles