Change router password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Change router password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Change router password
Change router password
2024-02-16 18:56:08 - last edited 2024-02-20 10:34:23
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've forgot my router password and the stored password in my browser is wrong.

So I can login via my ID (e-mail address) and password.

When I try to change the password under Advanced -> Administration -> Change password , I get the message, that the old password is not correct.

I know, but how I can change the password now without reset the router?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change router password-Solution
2024-02-17 14:56:55 - last edited 2024-02-20 10:34:23

@Dirk68 

If you forgot your TP-Link ID (e-mail address) password this can be emailed to you using the "Forgot password" option.

But I don't believe you can change your forgotten local admin password without resetting the router to its factory defaults.

Here's a guide that explains how to recover your router password in case you forgot it.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Change router password-Solution
2024-02-17 14:56:55 - last edited 2024-02-20 10:34:23

@Dirk68 

If you forgot your TP-Link ID (e-mail address) password this can be emailed to you using the "Forgot password" option.

But I don't believe you can change your forgotten local admin password without resetting the router to its factory defaults.

Here's a guide that explains how to recover your router password in case you forgot it.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Change router password
2024-02-17 16:01:18

@terziyski 

The login via TP-Lin ID is working. The problem from the guide is:

Note:

If you are using a TP-Link ID to log in to the web management page, the Password Recovery feature will be disabled. To manage the TP-Link ID, go to Basic > TP-Link Cloud.

So i have no option to reset the password as shown in the guide.

Options
2024-02-17 16:17:27

@Dirk68 

That's correct. Password recovery should be configured when you remember your local admin password. You have to reset the device in order to change it.

Options
2024-02-17 16:50:26

@terziyski 

I don't spend the time to setup my network completely new.

Is it possible to make a backup of the settings without the actual password?

Then I can reset the router with a new password in copy the backup back. Otherwise I use the login via TP-Link ID.

Options
2024-02-17 17:09:15

@Dirk68 

When doing a backup the local admin password would be backed up too. So your only option is to using the TP-Link ID login if you don't want to reset the device.

Options
2024-02-17 17:32:25

@terziyski 

Thanks for all. I will use the ID.

I can reset the router, when I make my network completely new to add a server structure here.

First I have to repair my internet connection. My cat played with the fiberglass wire. The speed is now like I use a 14.4k modem from the 90s.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 714

Replies: 6

Related Articles