RE315 Dropping connections / IP Address Assignment strange behaviour

2024-03-01 16:56:30
Model: RE315  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.30 Build 230919 Rel.52342n

HI All

I just bought an RE315 to extend my WiFi and provide an ethernet port for use mainly by a gaming PC separated by a concrete floor from my router. The raw router signal is actually not too bad (2-3 bars) but slow. The RE315 is great when it works, and gives me decent speed, and was cheap, but it seems to drop connections at random.

So far as I can figure, about 50% of the time it is ignoring the DHCP server on my router and allocating its own private class B IP addresses (169.254.X.X) on a 3 minute lease. Like most people, my home router (a BT SmartHub2) uses a 192.168.1.XXX Class C address range and a 2880 minute lease time. The result is that devices keep dropping off my router's network, picking up an address allocated by the extender which then doesn't get routed to or from the rest of my network. 

I've tried configuring the RE315 using Tether but there seems no way to simply fix this behaviour. Do I really need to carve out a separate pool of DHCP addresses for the RE315 to use, or is there another, simple way to fix this?

(P.S. Yes, I  know Class C & Class B is deprecated terminology but I'm old and can't be bothered changing!)

Steve

Options
5 Reply
Re:RE315 Dropping connections / IP Address Assignment strange behaviour
2024-03-01 17:48:22

@SteveF161 

When using RE315 as a range extender it's DHCP server should be off so it can provide IP addresses from your main router.

Most probably the reason for your issue is that RE315 signal is not so strong and it can't obtain its IP address from your router.

When that happens it puts a link-local IP address - details. Best approaach to mitigate this is to relocate RE315 closer to your router.

Use this thread for more details on positioning your RE for optimal performance.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-02 17:42:35

@terziyski 

Thanks for the response. It's physically impossible to relocate the extender closer to the router. It's on a different floor but only about 15 feet away in a straight line. Also, the repeater itself reports a reasonable signal - 3 of 5 bars - on both bands.

Options
2024-03-02 17:43:27

@SteveF161 

I have an update on this.

1. I relocated the RE315 to a different position in the room, still roughly same distance from main router. Both bands showed 3 of 5 bars for signal strength in Tether when initially connected
  2. It operated normally for about 5 minutes then decided to allocate a link local IP address (169.254.19.1) to my PC. N.B. The DHCP addresses from my main router are all 24 hour leases.
  3. All fours LEDs (Power/Wifi/ 2.4GHz and 5GHz repeater)  were fully on and green (or at least the same yellowy-green colour) when the change happened, and have stayed on.
  4. When connected through Tether, the RE315 claimed that 0 clients were attached, even though a PC, and iPad and an iPhone were all attached via 5G channel. Even the iPhone actually running Tether didn’t show up, which normally should happen.
  5. I’ve allocated the RE315 a static IP in my router. I cannot connect to the built-in web management page on the RE315 through this address or by any other address
Options
2024-03-04 06:46:21

@SteveF161 

To rule out signal strength issue, you could connect the RE315 in the same room where your main router is.

Test if the RE315 is working as expected and then you can relocate it at position which will ensure its normal behavior.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-09 10:30:31

@SteveF161 

I think I fixed this by carving out a section of the address range for use by the DHCP server on the RE315. I've had no problems for two days. Signal strength from router to extender remains constant 3 bars with no reported errors in the router's log, so I guess this is some sort of problem with DHCP compatibility between the two devices. I lack the time and inclination to investigate this further!

Many thanks to those who responded.

Steve

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 281

Replies: 5

Related Articles