Ability to manually select Deco mesh node to connect to on macOS

2024-03-03 10:13:21 - last edited 2024-03-04 09:33:46
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I'm using a M1 MacBook Air with a Deco X20 3-pack setup. I've got this router placed on the 2nd floor, and two more downstairs at both ends of the house. When I'm using my Mac upstairs, my computer keeps connecting to the node downstairs, which (I believe) has lower speeds compared to the node upstairs as the one downstairs has wireless backhaul while the one upstairs has ethernet backhaul. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any way to manually change which node my Mac joins, without forcing it to always join only one node?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ability to manually select Deco mesh node to connect to on macOS-Solution
2024-03-03 16:08:24 - last edited 2024-03-04 09:33:46

@y0u 

Using Connection Preference feature, configure MacBook Air to only use 5GHz band, by changing its Preferred Band setting from Auto to 5GHz in Deco app. This should convince MacBook connect to the nearest Deco unit.

For that to work, MacBook Air should have randomized/private MAC address feature disabled for Deco mesh SSID, if it has that feature.

Also, even if MacBook Air does not promptly reconnect to upstairs Deco when you take it upstairs, bouncing it (or turning WiFi off/on) should do the trick if you have two above changes made.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Ability to manually select Deco mesh node to connect to on macOS
2024-03-03 15:38:44

@y0u 

What is the firmware version of your X20s? If you please share Update Deco screenshot from Deco app, it'll tell me that info. Example:

Options
2024-03-03 15:57:33
File:
IMG_1824.jpegDownload
Options
Re:Ability to manually select Deco mesh node to connect to on macOS-Solution
2024-03-03 16:08:24 - last edited 2024-03-04 09:33:46

@y0u 

Using Connection Preference feature, configure MacBook Air to only use 5GHz band, by changing its Preferred Band setting from Auto to 5GHz in Deco app. This should convince MacBook connect to the nearest Deco unit.

For that to work, MacBook Air should have randomized/private MAC address feature disabled for Deco mesh SSID, if it has that feature.

Also, even if MacBook Air does not promptly reconnect to upstairs Deco when you take it upstairs, bouncing it (or turning WiFi off/on) should do the trick if you have two above changes made.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-04 01:14:17 - last edited 2024-03-04 09:33:45

@Alexandre. Well thanks!

Options